none
Windows Live Movie Maker Won't Save; insists .wmv files are corrupt even though they play fine.

Question

• Hello - I know that endless people have this problem.  I have repeatedly tried everything on the forums I can find.  Here is the rundown :

- All of the files I used for my movie are .wmv

- I have checked and quintuple checked all of the files, played them all the way through as complete files on WLMM, played them again with other programs, etc.  I have even saved an earlier version of this movie with the same files in it.  The source files are fine and all still in the same place.

- I have installed all of the XP codecs.

- My movie is not quite nine minutes long.

- Still, WLMM refuses to save the final version of my movie.  I am on Windows 7 starter, my movie is all .wmv files that are on my desktop, they play and edit fine.  I have closed and reopened this program dozens of times over the past four days trying to save this movie.  It will not save.

- Every single time, it saves to about 92% and then says that I have corrupted files.  The best part : each time it chooses a different few random thumbnails that it says are corrupt.

I have put SO MUCH work into this video.  I will lose weeks of work.  The time I saved an earlier version is deleted, and in any case, was a much different video and so it would be useless to me now.  I still have all of the original source files on my computer.  I feel like I have tried everything.

PLEASE HELP.

Thank you.

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:27 PM

All replies

• I just experienced this today. Like you, I have numerous rundowns in different websites. All pointing to the inability of movie maker to save. I though my 1.5gb ram was enough. It's an average RAM. But knowing that how high your RAM is, it's not because of your computer. It because of the program. I can prove it because I uninstalled any irrelevant programs I have. Deleted irrelevant files. Restarted. And Movie Maker was the only program open. But sad to say, nothing happens. So here's the facts that I just thought of.
    1. The first time you opened your project will be the only time it will play.
    2. Movie maker actually loads the video. Avoid doing anything else.
    3. Doing anything else (ex. pasting something, copying, adding something) hangs movie maker.
    4. Once it hangs, the next time you open it, nothing will play.
    5. The project file (.wlmp) is only about 200kb. So, it loads the videos everytime. 
    Before, I was able to save it. But that was because there was no videos. But, 500 pictures played 0.1 seconds per picture. Much of a stop-motion film. Movie maker hanged. But when I open again it's alright and I can continue. But, videos? Damn. Whole lot of mess. It's hard to fix. My video is 700mb which may contribute. But, I've played it over and over for 5 hours (I was working with it for 5 hours) I added some videos. While adding some videos, I tried to copy a slide and paste it. It hanged and I was never able to do anything else. I thought I was an isolated case. Many other people are experiencing this. My deadline's tomorrow. It's 12 a.m. here. Been working on it since 4 P.M. The rest of the time, I tried figuring out how to save it. I wasn't able to take dinner. I don't wanna lose my hardwork. I have been able to put precise subtitles lasting 30 minutes. Which took extensive timing and hardwork. I didn't expect it to go like this. Two words. This sucks. Sorry I can't help you dude.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Firstly, you'll get much better answers by posting in a Live Movie maker forum rather than in the Live Writer forum which is about an unrelated blog-editing tool!

Try turning off any malware tools like anti-virus to see if that makes a difference. Usually when programs have trouble saving this is the problem.

• Edited by Thin Ice Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:24 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:20 AM
  • 1.5G of RAM is not much for editing video, which is an extremely RAM intensive operation. Most 32bit computers now come with 3GB RAM standard. I run 64bit Windows with 6-8GB of RAM just so I can handle editing a lot of high-resolution images comfortably.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:22 AM
  • I'm running 64bit windows 7 with a quad-core processor and 8gb of ram. and i'm having the same issue. the bulk of the files are wmvs i just created in the last two days WITH movie maker. all are in the same locations they were in when i added them.
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:51 PM