Emailing Albums RRS feed

• Question

• Do I have to log into my WHS (HP EX470) via my IE browser in order to create and share albums?  I know I can do it that way but it seems like if I am at home and on my local network that I should be able to do this either via the console or via the Shared Folders icon that WHS put on my desktop.  I can load pictures into my folders that way but so far have not seen how I can create albums or send out the email links to the albums unless I log in via the IE browser, which seems very strange to me.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:09 AM

Answers

• The photo webshare application on the HP MediaSmart Servers is an add-on developed by HP, not part of Windows Home Server itself.

Yes, you have to log in to your HP server via a browser to create and share albums in the WebShare application. HP developed no other way of managing the albums and photos. And the images you upload to it are not stored in the Photos share, they're in a different location. If you want them in your Photos share, you'll have to put them there yourself. (I would recommend you do so; files in the webshare application aren't duplicated.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:05 PM

All replies

• And a follow up question.  When I upload photos and create albums in the webshare via IE, where do the photos actually reside?  They don't seem to be in the "Photos" folder in "Shared Folders".  I only seem to be able to see them when logged into the webshare via IE and not when I am either remotely accessing Shared Folders or looking at Shared Folders on the console.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:51 AM
  • The photo webshare application on the HP MediaSmart Servers is an add-on developed by HP, not part of Windows Home Server itself.

Yes, you have to log in to your HP server via a browser to create and share albums in the WebShare application. HP developed no other way of managing the albums and photos. And the images you upload to it are not stored in the Photos share, they're in a different location. If you want them in your Photos share, you'll have to put them there yourself. (I would recommend you do so; files in the webshare application aren't duplicated.)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Well, that certainly answers a lot of questions!  I had no idea that it was not part of the actual WHS product!  Do you know where the webshare photos are actually stored on the WHS box?  I can probably remote into the box and browse around to find them. 

I have also found another challenge with webshare that you may have some insight on.  Although as you have confirmed, I have to use my IE browser to manage webshare photos, for some reason I can't log in this way from my home network.  I can log into webshare fine when I am away from home (on a public internet, for example) but when I am at home, behind my firewall, webshare fails to respond.  Which means that I can't share out photos to my friends and family via webshare unless I do it from somewhere other than my home.  Not very convenient.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:49 PM
  • To connect from home, try e.g. http://myserver instead of http://myserver.homeserver.com. You'll see a security warning if you're using the homeserver.com domain that Microsoft makes available. If your server is configured to use a domain from TZO, I'm not sure what will happen (my server uses a homesrver.com domain).
    Monday, April 27, 2009 4:39 PM
  • I'll give that a try.

Thanks - Gary
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:24 AM