Not relying on OneCare only - is Haute Secure a useful add on? RRS feed

• Question

• I try not to be overprotective of my computers and to have faith in OneCare, IE7 and Windows SP3.

I also have a hardware firewall and winpatrol.

However, I am trying out Haute Secure and I would like to know if it does anything more than what OneCare, IE7 and Windows SP3 do between them.

Does anybody know?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:51 AM

Answers

• Haute Secure was another new one to me, Ray. I can't tell you how useful it is, though the web site makes it seem so.

I can't tell you if the Haute Secure client will conflict with OneCare, either. It may, since it scans objects that your browser downloads - and so does OneCare. In effect, that would mean 2 active scans fighting over the same file, which might cause performance problems and bizarre errors if one blocks a file and the other tries to block the same file.

All I can tell you is - go ahead and try it out and see what happens. Worst case - you'll decide to uninstall it if it causes problems.

-steve

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:15 PM

All replies

• I'm not familiar with the product but in looking at the website it looks like it could be useful sometimes. For me the decision becomes how much do I want to pay, in terms of performance and resources, for additional security. My personal preference is to use one product that suits my needs and to exercise caution when online.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Haute Secure was another new one to me, Ray. I can't tell you how useful it is, though the web site makes it seem so.

I can't tell you if the Haute Secure client will conflict with OneCare, either. It may, since it scans objects that your browser downloads - and so does OneCare. In effect, that would mean 2 active scans fighting over the same file, which might cause performance problems and bizarre errors if one blocks a file and the other tries to block the same file.

All I can tell you is - go ahead and try it out and see what happens. Worst case - you'll decide to uninstall it if it causes problems.

-steve

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:15 PM