none
Error using Money RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Money (UK) 2004 updated to 2005 using the patch.  I am trying to export my data to excel using reports>account transactions, which has always worked in the past. Now I amgetting an error, There has been an error reading or writing the file '.'.......

Any ideas?

thanks in anticipation

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:01 PM

All replies

• I don't know..  I think you are saying that you click on ExportToMicrosoftExcell on the left and you are getting the ExportReport box asking for a filename. Then you enter a filename, and click OK. Try browsing to a spot in your Documents area and choosing a new filename.

Alternatively, try right-clicking into the report and choose Copy Then Paste into Excel from inside Excel.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

Clicking on the file menu on the left doesn't give me an option, 'export to microsoft excel'.

I can't copy and paste the report that I want because Money generates the error code when I try to produce that report. I need the 'account transactions' report to produce an excel spreadsheet for my accountant, but Money can't produce it.

I have uninstalled Money and re-installed it. I have archived old data to produce a smaller file, an d I am now in the process of importing the file into a very old pc to see if that will help, but so far no joy.

thanks

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:37 PM
  • So you can't generate the report.

Consider making a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1 if you are willing to lose previously customized reports.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:45 PM
  • I am using MS Money (UK) 2004 updated to 2005 using the patch.  

I assume that's using the latest Money 2005 QFE2 version which is available here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915 

If so, I have that version installed on an XP test system and have just tested the "Account Transactions" report. I selected both all accounts and individual with all dates and specific date ranges. All reports displayed correctly and I was able to export to Excel. Therefore, I cannot see any problem with that version of Money 2005 creating those reports. It looks like the problem is related to your data file. 

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I can't generate the report.

I have repaired the file both at level1 and level2, the log file says, no links broken.

Yes I am using the 2005 QFE2 version.

Now I am going to try to export as a quicken file and then re-import it.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Do ANY reports work ? I wonder if it's only specific reports that fail ?

Furthermore, apart from upgrading Money, have you made any other software changes, most notably to Internet Explorer ?

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Do you understand that in the standard file repairs, you get an additional file that is the repaired version? You would want to open the new file. You probably recognized this, but I just wanted to make sure.

Have you rebooted your computer lately? Long shot.

Your QIF export and then import into a new file would be a good way to get those transactions for your immediate need. But getting the file working with all of your other things would be better.

Consider starting Money by right-clicking the launch icon, and selecting RunAsAdministrator. If that helps, it will get you past this, and we can then consider how to go forward.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Hi Ashley,

Well I am using Apple OSX, running XP pro under VM fusion.

But my old pc is running xp and has no changes for ages.  

I seem to remember this fault happening a few months ago also, but I forgot about it until I was reminded of a deadline.

All the other reports work ok.

Hi Cal.

Thanks, yes I have used the repaired file, still no good.  

I am doing stuff on my mac to try to fix it while also using my old pc. I am still waiting for my pc to crunch through the 'accept transactions' process in the export/import method, it's very slow.

Runasadmin, doesn't help I am afraid.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Not a direct fix but another option for getting to the "list of transaction":

. See if you can open your *.mny using sunriise 

. If yes, export to *.csv file(s)

. Look for the *-rows.csv file for the transaction table

. The output is not as nicely formatted as the one Money produced but might be sufficient for your purpose (don't know, you  will have to take a look and decide for yourself)

. Bonus: you can use sunriise on your Mac (need Java installed), no need to go into Fusion

See: http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:15 PM
  • ok thanks, I'll try sunriise
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:22 PM
  • If other reports work OK then why not try selecting one of those and then amending the selection fields to match the "Account Transactions" report ? This would prove whether you can read all the required entries and get them formatted.

For example, display the "Transactions by Payee" and then select Customise ... on the left hand side.

On the Rows & Columns tab change "Subtotal by" to  Months, the "Running balance" to Use total of prior transactions. On the Date tab select the required range and then select OK. See if a report is generated. If so, tailor any remaining options to get your "Account transactions" report or something very similar.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi thanks, I will give it a try.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Well I finally got it to work, had to export as a quicken file and then re-import it.

Took a couple of tries for some reason.

Many thanks to everyone for your help.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:23 PM