Windows Search Service Error - The entry <file> in the hashmap cannot be updated RRS feed

• Question

• This question was asked previously but thread was frozen. Why I do not know because it was not solved. So again my event log has withing the last month or so started presenting these errors under applications.

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Windows Search Service
    Event Category:    Gatherer
    Event ID:    3013
    Date:        10/17/2011
    Time:        1:48:53 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    DC1
    Description:
    The entry <C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\SECURITY SERVER\PCCSRV\WEB\SERVICE\AU_DATA\AU_TEMP\3432_10264\SERVER.INI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
        A device attached to the system is not functioning.   (0x8007001f)

The last lengthy post kept repeating the MS stance that these errors could safely be ignored. However as many people responded, that is not an acceptable response. Can anyone do better?

Monday, October 17, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• If I had to guess, I'd say that the other topic was locked because A) the original post is 4 years old, B) Microsoft (specifically the developers of the Windows Desktop Search feature) isn't giving an answer other than that the errors are harmless, so you won't be getting anything from them, and C) half the posts were about operating systems other than Windows Home Server. But I can't say for sure, as the forum software doesn't show me a reason for the lock.

What I think the error is really telling you is that there is a file type in an indexed location which the search service doesn't know about. You can add these file types, however doing so is technically unsupported and it's completely unnecessary, since these errors don't indicate anything is actually wrong. Why the developers of WDS chose to make them errors rather than warnings is a topic for another day, and another forum...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:20 PM
  • The most likely scenario is that the file is open/locked when Windows Desktop Search attempts to index the file and/or the file is deleted by Trend Micro before Windows Desktop Search can index it.

The real issue here is that this is a temporary processing folder used by Trend Micro and you shouldn’t be indexing files in that folder hierarchy. The best solution is to go into Windows Desktop Search property (or indexing options) and uncheck at least the AU_TEMP folder. If it were up to me, I would uncheck C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files\Trend Micro since there’s not much benefit to indexing these folders.

"scristaldi" wrote in message news:d5275426-e5c0-4b7b-9f33-3e062378a56b...

This question was asked previously but thread was frozen. Why I do not know because it was not solved. So again my event log has withing the last month or so started presenting these errors under applications.

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Windows Search Service
    Event Category:    Gatherer
    Event ID:    3013
    Date:        10/17/2011
    Time:        1:48:53 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    DC1
    Description:
    The entry <C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\SECURITY SERVER\PCCSRV\WEB\SERVICE\AU_DATA\AU_TEMP\3432_10264\SERVER.INI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
        A device attached to the system is not functioning.   (0x8007001f)

The last lengthy post kept repeating the MS stance that these errors could safely be ignored. However as many people responded, that is not an acceptable response. Can anyone do better?

Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:23 PM