none
Drive cloning from one computer to other. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know if i could clone a drive from one computer and use it in an other and not have problems with the licence.

I have i Asus Laptop that came with Win7 home premium pre-installed, and i am thinking of buying parts to build a desktop. If i clone the drive from the Asus Laptop to the HDD that i´m going to buy for the desktop and install it on the desktop will the licence work?

I ask this because OEM licences are normally attached to the computer in witch they are installed.

I plan to erase the laptop hdd afterwards to install Steam OS and use in home streaming form the desktop to the laptop.

Would appreciate some help.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:06 AM

Answers

• First...did you notice the title of this forum? 

The short answer to your question is...you'll have problems.  Each installation of Windows is set up specifically for the hardware on that specific computer.  Unless you're moving the drive to a computer with the exact same spec's, you'll have problems (i.e. it won't work)

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, lopestjoao.

I would be extremely cautious about wiping out the hard drive on your Asus laptop. Many times the factory OEM installation files are only stored on a separate partition on the hard drive. As well, these installer files include drivers for specific hardware that came with your Asus.

If I were you and wanted to try reusing the Windows OS on another machine, I'd first copy all the installation files to a portable drive or thumb drive and then try installing on a new computer. If the activation and updates go correctly, then perhaps you could wipe the Asus.

If the Asus OEM installer files are on a separate partition, you MIGHT be able to install Steam OS on the other (bigger) partition without destroying the OEM installer partition. On many machines, you can boot to the OEM partition from the BIOS startup (before the OS loads) to reimage a machine.

NOTE: I have no idea if there are two partitions on your Asus hard drive. Did they give you an installer CD or is there another partition?

IDEA: Look up your laptop on the Asus site and learn the steps used to reimage your laptop back to factory installation. Make sure you have all the required pieces.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• First...did you notice the title of this forum? 

The short answer to your question is...you'll have problems.  Each installation of Windows is set up specifically for the hardware on that specific computer.  Unless you're moving the drive to a computer with the exact same spec's, you'll have problems (i.e. it won't work)

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, lopestjoao.

I would be extremely cautious about wiping out the hard drive on your Asus laptop. Many times the factory OEM installation files are only stored on a separate partition on the hard drive. As well, these installer files include drivers for specific hardware that came with your Asus.

If I were you and wanted to try reusing the Windows OS on another machine, I'd first copy all the installation files to a portable drive or thumb drive and then try installing on a new computer. If the activation and updates go correctly, then perhaps you could wipe the Asus.

If the Asus OEM installer files are on a separate partition, you MIGHT be able to install Steam OS on the other (bigger) partition without destroying the OEM installer partition. On many machines, you can boot to the OEM partition from the BIOS startup (before the OS loads) to reimage a machine.

NOTE: I have no idea if there are two partitions on your Asus hard drive. Did they give you an installer CD or is there another partition?

IDEA: Look up your laptop on the Asus site and learn the steps used to reimage your laptop back to factory installation. Make sure you have all the required pieces.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:33 PM
    Answerer