none
SyncToy 2.0 Beta - 100% network usage when missing right hand pair RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I've run into an interesting bug with SyncToy 2.0 that causes it to use 100% of my network bandwidth and dramatically increases the load on my server.  In fact, the server became unusable.  Here is what happened: 

I modified the directory structure of the base folder of the right hand side of a pair.  The original pair was from My Documents\Data to //server/images/data and SyncToy was setup to work with this structure and had been synchronizing the files just fine.  Then I changed the directory tree on the server, so that it became //server/mirror/data.  I did not remember to update the pair in SyncToy.  I use Vista 64's task scheduler to run SyncToyCmd at 11pm.  The next morning at 9am, I found the server unreachable.  The logs on the server revealed the network usage and load were maxed out, even though the task scheduler claimed that SyncToy had finished at 12:45am.  I then reset the schedule to see if it would happen again.  Again, the network usage and server load maxed out.

Next, I thought that I'd run SyncToy from the UI.  Now, instead of the strange bug I mentioned previously, it happily told me that the right had side of the pair was missing.  I corrected the problem and ran the synchronization.  It finished inside of two minutes.

So, I think there needs to be a better way for SyncToyCmd to stop when there is a failure of this sort and perhaps to alert the user of the problem.

Thanks for listening.  I really appreciate having this tool and I hope that this will help to improve it.

Miles

Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:55 PM