Could CUDA work at WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I want to use WHS with nVidia CUDA (Zotac motherboard, IONITX-F) for converting video files for players and iPod. This program, Badaboom, can use CUDA for accelerating the convertation. But, I can't find drivers for WHS, which let me use CUDA-technology.  Is anybody, who could to solve this problem, to use CUDA with WHS?

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:33 AM

All replies

• Use a desktop system instead of your server? Really, Windows Home Server isn't designed for desktop use; it runs a version of Windows Server 2003 under the hood for reliability, and you're talking about consumer technologies. If you want to persist, see if you can find Windows XP drivers. If they will install, they may work for you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:52 AM
  • Hello, Ken.

No, I don't use WHS as Desktop system. I want to use my server more, also as the convertor video files too, but not by MyMovies (I don't like as it works) but use other programs and opportunity of CUDA-techology, which is very perspective for HomeServer's system, I think.

But, when I try to setup WinXP drivers then the CUDA didn't setup and I can't find what is trouble.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:28 PM
  • If you're using your server for transcoding, you're using it as a desktop (i.e. you log in to your server, run a program, and transcode something), and a quick review of the Badaboomit.com web site makes it pretty clear that the software is intended to be used on a desktop. That doesn't mean that no such use is possible, but it is unsupported (by Microsoft, and usually by the ISVs), so you may have to solve some problems on your own.

You might ask nVidia, Zotac, and/or Badaboomit about your issue, which sounds like either drivers that don't work under Windows Server 2003 or something that's not supported at all under Windows Server 2003. Or use the Zotac motherboard as a desktop motherboard, and pick a different one for your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Personally, I have used CUDA on WHS as a part of Folding@home. It works fine.

You just need the proper video driver. Basically the package for XP/2k3

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Yep, I found the solve this problem. It works when I run the Badaboom in the direct login session, not via RDA. When you use RDA, the CUDA technology doesn't work.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:48 PM