Client backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I have finally got down and installed whs 2011. I managed to get all the updates down and have set up client computers. I have backed up the server to an external 2TB drive. I did a backup of a client computer and naively thought that this would backup to the external but backed up to the D: drive, where all the server folders are. It now displays this drive as critical for space. I cannot fathom how to get my client computers to back up to the external drive instead of D:, can anyone help please?

I also have a hardware raid 5 setup with 4 2TB drives giving me effectively 6TB of storage. IT seems whs has recognised this 6TB drive but is un  allocated. How do I format this drive as the option for a raid 5 is greyed out and  I suspect this is because of my hardware raid setup. Do I format as a simple drive or do I format it as something else?

All advise is sorely welcome, thanks in advance.

Regards,

David

Friday, May 10, 2013 12:25 PM

Answers

• ... I have moved all the server folders to the raid disc but for some reason server backup will not allow me to check individual folders on this drive as it is over 2TB, the drive not the folders ...

(emphasis added)

The question is the answer. Server backup is unable to back up more than 2 TB at once, period, end of discussion. Any folder on a drive larger than 2 TB can potentially grow larger than 2 TB itself, so no, you can't select them because they could get too large to back up. There are some ways to work around this if you're sure none of the folders will ever grow larger, but it involves manually creating multiple backup jobs (so you can't use the server backup GUI to do it), and you have to trick the underlying tools built into Windows Server 2008 R2 to back up anything on a large drive as well. And then you still have the problem of backup sources that can grow too large to back up.

A slightly better solution is to break the RAID array and let Windows Home Server have the individual drives. You will still have to manage multiple backups, but at least they will not be able to grow larger than 2 TB each.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:13 AM
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:18 PM
  • You can't use your external drive for Client backups if it's already been allocated to Server backup. Client backups reside in the same storage space as your shared folders and are backed up (if you selected them to be included in server backup) as part of a Server backup to the external drive.

As for your RAID, just tell WHS to use it as storage using the Dashboard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, May 10, 2013 3:02 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Once a drive is allocated to server backup,that's it - no other data on there! Yes, you can use the recovery DVD but it will not necessarily have the latest version and USB is much more convenient.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:01 AM
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:57 PM

All replies

• You can't use your external drive for Client backups if it's already been allocated to Server backup. Client backups reside in the same storage space as your shared folders and are backed up (if you selected them to be included in server backup) as part of a Server backup to the external drive.

As for your RAID, just tell WHS to use it as storage using the Dashboard.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, May 10, 2013 3:02 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Thanks Phil. It looks like I had better get my raid drive formatted and then move those server folders including client backups to it. Using a SSD drive as my loader sure won't have room for all my client backups. Just a quickie, after I move those server folders to the new drive, can I then delete them from the D: drive and will all further client backups go directly to the raid drive rather than try to save to the D: drive. Just had a thought on what you have said, if I had not used the external for the server backup first would I have been able to put the client backups on it and then add the server backup later? Just a though. As to the raid drive, it seems I shall have to go locally to the server to format the drive. I am still taking small steps with the server so have not yet set up remote access.

Many thanks for your help.

David

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:28 PM
  • David

You use the Dashboard to move the location of your shared folders (including the Client Backup Folder) and it will remove them from the original location, having copied the data in them, if applicable, over to the new location - just don't start creating folders outside the Dashboard.

As to your second question, yes you could have used the external drive as Server storage and moved your Client Computer Backup folder there as noted above. It's always best to have a server Backup available and backups of your critical data, which you can store off site, to cater for a "disaster" situation.

Phil

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Thanks Phil. I assume  once I set up the client backup folder and get it to be included in the backup with the server backup I could then access the backup on the external to rebuild a failed client computer. Am I correct?

Many thanks,

David

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:03 PM
  • You don't need it to be included in the Server backup to do that. Just boot the failed Client from a USB stick created in the Dashboard and follow the instructions.

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Ok, as I am still raw I shall find out how to do that. I have moved all the server folders to the raid disc but for some reason server backup will not allow me to check individual folders on this drive as it is over 2TB, the drive not the folders.. I would like to start over doing backups and start putting client computers first and then the server on the external drive but not sure if that is possible. Any ideas? Sorry for being a pain but I am on a sharp learning curve and want to get the most out of this server.

David

ps I have a recovery disc which came with the operating system DVD.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Once a drive is allocated to server backup,that's it - no other data on there! Yes, you can use the recovery DVD but it will not necessarily have the latest version and USB is much more convenient.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:01 AM
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:57 PM
  • ... I have moved all the server folders to the raid disc but for some reason server backup will not allow me to check individual folders on this drive as it is over 2TB, the drive not the folders ...

(emphasis added)

The question is the answer. Server backup is unable to back up more than 2 TB at once, period, end of discussion. Any folder on a drive larger than 2 TB can potentially grow larger than 2 TB itself, so no, you can't select them because they could get too large to back up. There are some ways to work around this if you're sure none of the folders will ever grow larger, but it involves manually creating multiple backup jobs (so you can't use the server backup GUI to do it), and you have to trick the underlying tools built into Windows Server 2008 R2 to back up anything on a large drive as well. And then you still have the problem of backup sources that can grow too large to back up.

A slightly better solution is to break the RAID array and let Windows Home Server have the individual drives. You will still have to manage multiple backups, but at least they will not be able to grow larger than 2 TB each.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:13 AM
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Thanks Phil..will use a usb key which I assume I can use for all rather than doing one for each. As this is a very early build I was going to reinstall whs2011 and then do a  back up each client before doing a server. Will that allow me to continue to do client back ups on the external. The reason for the reinstall is that the system is a bit of a mess and before I use it in earnest I am making sure things are working. My main problem at the moment is the GUI for the raid system. I found the program on the cd that came was dated 2010 and on the website it is dated 06/2012 so downloaded and seeing if that sorts it out.
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:20 AM
  • You can use the same USB key for multiple clients but you may need to add any special drivers each may need e.g. Network drivers. You can do Client backups on the external as long as it is allocated a drive letter and it shows up in Server storage. You will then need a different HDD for server backup. Good luck with the re-install.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:43 PM