My Fake XP problem RRS feed

• Question

• well ok here i go... i had my laptop for a good 3-4 years now an today i finally decided to wipe it clean as it was running slow an to much *** on it. well come to getting my xp disc an nope could not find it but i thought if i download it (bootleg copy) an use my serial number it would work, nope it did not, wrong version of XP, well i have no idea what todo now as i have a non-genuine version of XP now with a genuine key which dont work an i have no way of getting the correct XP cd an here is my last resort. 

so basically would there be anyway to get XP again with my current genuine key instead of buying a new one??

thanks

Leon

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:16 AM

Answers

• Leon,

Curious have you tried contacting the business were you purchased the laptop? I know this is a long shot because of the time which has expired. Also have you tried to search any forums on the manufacturer's site and maybe you will find information this way.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

• Leonc888,

Make and model of laptop?

Does it have a Certificate of Authenticity on the bottom?  If so, what manufacturer's name is on it and what version of Windows is it for?  (Don't post the Product Key printed on the CoA.)

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:48 PM
  • It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro A60   (EN)

model number:   PSA65E - 00200UEN

And its windows xp  dont no what version of windows xp it was that was on here origonally.

i did check the CoA but it does not say the XP version just product key and barcode/number

Leon

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Leon c888,

The first black printed line of the CoA will tell you which edition of XP:  Home, Pro, Tablet, Media Center, etc.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:35 PM
  • its Windows® XP Home Edition i need.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Leonc888,

Toshiba's practice is to have you send your computer into their depot to have the OS reinstalled, vs most other computer manufacturers who will sell you a replacement Recovery CD/DVD.

See this:  http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=ex&bbid=bb53&url=&dialogID=32316657&stateId=0%200%2032318146

You may have some success here:  http://www.restoredisks.com/index.asp

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:48 PM
  • thanks for the quick help Dan

will look into them later on as got to work. but i no that restoredisks dont deliver to uk Sad

just wondering tho my dad has win xp home edition if i used his cd would it work with my key  or they different types of home editions?

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Leon,

Curious have you tried contacting the business were you purchased the laptop? I know this is a long shot because of the time which has expired. Also have you tried to search any forums on the manufacturer's site and maybe you will find information this way.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Leonc888,

Genner Sales in the UK is a source for restore/recovery CDs, however, if you follow the links here, http://www.gennersales.co.uk/recovery/toshibasatpro.htm#Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_A60_Windows_XP_Recovery_DVD, you'll see that they have suspended sales of some Microsoft-related software for a time while some business issues are ironed out with Microsoft's lawyers.

In the meantime, if Dad has an OEM CD for XP Home, use it and the Product Key on YOUR laptop to install XP Home, do a telephone activation, then download what drivers you need from Toshiba.  If Dad has a retail CD, it won;t accept your Toshiba's PK, only an OEM CD will accept it.

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:13 PM
  • he has the retail CD, nevermind i'll just ask around my friends an if no luck contact toshiba an see what they say did find one there locations in uk not far from me which they re-install everything for a small cost.

thank you for your help an quick response Dan

Leon

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:33 PM