some WHS questions I haven't seem answered yet... RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to see if I should replace my XP with a shared drive with WHS... Can someone help me with these questions? I looked through many postings, but have not found the answers...

1. My parents live in another city. Is it possible to set up their PC to remotely backup to a WHS in my house?

2. Is it possible for my parents to see the shared drives on my WHS? As a regular windows drive or just over a web browser?

3. The "duplicated folder" feature seem nice, but if you delete a shared folder by accident, the folder will be gone from all copies, right?

4. If 3. is true, does it make sense to have another WHS to backup the shared folder on the primary WHS?

5. How does someone apply for a homeserver.com address?

6. The "single copy" concept is just within backups, or does it extend to shared folders as well? If I have a file that's both in a shared folder and on a local PC, the WHS store the file once or twice?

7. Are all drives connected to WHS automatically assigned to the disk pool? Is it possible to, say, plug in a USB drive, then run robocopy to copy shared folders to the USB drive? I don't want to make the USB drive a "duplicated folder", since this will sync the deletions as well.

Thanks in advance.

Clayton

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:01 AM

Answers

• 1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Can't be deleted by accident... unless you were drunk or something... in that case I'd recommend not drinking and whs'ing.

4.  see 3

5.  Search this site... read documentation.   (Note: this is actually fairly easy... just search for a name, similar to getting to an email from hotmail live.... but obviously you have not searched.)

6.  Once.

7.  No... you have to assign the drive... See 5.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:00 AM
  • 1. Yes it can be done if you use a VPN tunnel to connect to your WHS from the remote site. A fellow named Scott (aka sedin26) has a procedure on how to set this up. As always YMMV...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2506018&SiteID=50

5. See the Remote Access Tech Brief for details...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/7/2/272d14a7-eb96-4dde-a90e-3e5b4bc388af/WHS%20Technical%20Brief%20-%20Remote%20Access.pdf

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:45 AM
  • Yes, all copies will be deleted.

The only thing that prevents you from accidently deleting a folder is you. When you are asked if you are sure you want to delete it, say no. That has saved me a few times when I have accidently hit delete, or something similar.

At the end of the day, its a file store, and acts like a file store. WHS cannot determine if its an accidental detele or a required delete.

Andrew

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:38 PM

All replies

• 1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Can't be deleted by accident... unless you were drunk or something... in that case I'd recommend not drinking and whs'ing.

4.  see 3

5.  Search this site... read documentation.   (Note: this is actually fairly easy... just search for a name, similar to getting to an email from hotmail live.... but obviously you have not searched.)

6.  Once.

7.  No... you have to assign the drive... See 5.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:00 AM
  • 1. Yes it can be done if you use a VPN tunnel to connect to your WHS from the remote site. A fellow named Scott (aka sedin26) has a procedure on how to set this up. As always YMMV...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2506018&SiteID=50

5. See the Remote Access Tech Brief for details...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/7/2/272d14a7-eb96-4dde-a90e-3e5b4bc388af/WHS%20Technical%20Brief%20-%20Remote%20Access.pdf

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:45 AM
  • Regarding 3, what about deleting, say, a subdirectory under PHOTOS? All duplicates of the subdir will be gone at the same time, right? If not, what prevents them from being deleted by accident? Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Yes, all copies will be deleted.

The only thing that prevents you from accidently deleting a folder is you. When you are asked if you are sure you want to delete it, say no. That has saved me a few times when I have accidently hit delete, or something similar.

At the end of the day, its a file store, and acts like a file store. WHS cannot determine if its an accidental detele or a required delete.

Andrew

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:38 PM