none
Getting Quotes for UK Users (split from big thread) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Does anybody have a definitive guide on the best option to get prices into Money (2005 UK), I'm a bit confused after trying to follow this thread,

Thanks,

Regards

Kevin Williams

• Split by Cal LearnerModerator Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:17 PM Trying to make this a bit more accessible on a smaller thread. I hope this does not cause confusion.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:55 PM

All replies

• Yes, this is getting to be a long string of posts!  I recommend that you look at these two options:

PocketSense - for both downloading statements and quotes:

https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/p2

hle-ofx-quotes - for just quotes:

https://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/

although for UK users, note this page

https://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

Both of these programs are volunteer efforts and are a bit geeky but the authors are good about responding to questions.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Dear Mr. Williams,

I am replying in some haste but thought you would want to know that with the enormous help I received from a previous employee of Microsoft, I have now been able to set up a system on Money 2005 UK which downloads all the prices of stocks, funds, and anything that has an ISIN code.   I am not at all surprised that you are confused with trying to follow these threads, which leave out so much of the essential detail.  It needs a little perseverance to set it up in the first place, but after that it is easy and quick to operate.  It has the advantage of being able to download the prices of rather more obscure funds, which was not always possible on the automatic Money 2005 system.

I would be very pleased to help you, but the definitive detailed step by step guide to set it up will  take me a little time to compose.  There are several traps for the unwary!  If this works out satisfactorily for you, all I would ask you to do is to consider making a contribution to the charity (well known) which is supported by the person who helped me.  I take it that you live in the UK?

Yours, Christopher Fagan.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:36 AM
  • I would be interested in these instructions
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Dear Quakuk and Mr. Williams,

Once I have been able to produce these instructions in detail, we will then have to be in direct touch by email.  The instructions will be too much to put on this string.  I am not sure how we manage this, but if you are prepared to give your email address on this string, then I will reply so that you then have mine.

I just need to say that it will take me some weeks to prepare this, but I am sure it will be worthwhile for you.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Christopher,

I have Money 2005 in Australia. Do you know if it will work with Australian Stock Exchange securities?

PC Troubles

Friday, January 24, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Hi PC Troubles.

Yes it does on the SUNSET Version. I've had it working since Late July. Only problem I have found is that although prices get down loaded correctly, the cents get rounded up by Microsoft Money when the data is imported.
    e.g. ABU.AX is currently $0.027 on line but it appears as $0.03 in MSMoney. Not a big issue unless you have hundreds on thousands of that stock.

Yes I did have to rule off June 30 2013 in the old version of money. I then laboriously data entered buy price and quantity of each stock as at Jun 30th 2013 into the sunset version.

The daily upload works flawlessly except for the rounding mentioned beforehand. Also exchange rate from USD to AUS dollar has to be manually updated from time to time if you hold a few USD stocks which I do.

Unfortunately although I looked far and wide I had to bite the bullet and follow this path. Many thanks to the developers for their work.

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:38 AM
  • HealthyB123 - Are you saying that you are successfully using Yellow Labrador's as-yet-undocumented process for quotes?  And it works on Sunset, although he claims it's for Money UK2005?

If not, what program or procedure are you using?

Bill Becker

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:56 AM
  • Hi Bill,

I am using the hle-ofx-quotes  solution that you spoke of in your posting on 21-Jan-14.

As you mentioned it is only the daily quote information but that is what I wanted to keep track of the rises and falls of prices for stocks in my portfolio.

HealthyB123

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Dear PC Troubles,

I am so sorry, but I do not know if the method that I use will work in Australia.  Somehow, I rather doubt it.

But, for the information of any UK users, I can assure you that it works extremely well here, is easy to use and I am pretty certain gives the prices at the time that you download them.  If I had had to rely on the information given on this string to set it up, I am afraid that I am much too stupid ever to have got it up and running.  In my opinion it really does need a detailed idiot's guide if you are going to succeed.  As I have already said, there are lots of traps for the unwary.

I have not heard back from Kevin Williams or Qwakuk, but if either of them want me to get on with compiling a step by step guide, perhaps they could let me know.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:26 PM

• I have not heard back from Kevin Williams or Qwakuk, but if either of them want me to get on with compiling a step by step guide, perhaps they could let me know.

Yes please
    Friday, January 24, 2014 6:32 PM
  • Ok.  How do we get in touch with each other? Christopher.
    Friday, January 24, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Hi all, I was the person who worked with Christopher in getting his quotes working again with Money 2005 UK. Contrary to Christopher's comment, I'm not an ex-Microsoft employee, but was a Money MVP for 12 years (my name may be familiar to some of you).

I wrote down the instructions at http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/651.aspx - It's not the simplest thing to do, although once you've got the hang of it, it should provide you with UK quotes. Don't be put off by the article - try to work through it slowly and feel free to drop me questions (link on the website) - don't ask them through here as I probably wont see them. The article was based on my notes as we worked through it, and I could have easily missed bits, so I am happy to refine it.

It uses hleOfxQuotes which requires Java. When working through it with Christopher, we needed to create a free FT.COM portfolio as the Yahoo one will cause pricing issues.

Kind regards

Glyn

Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:40 PM
  • I am delighted that Glyn Simpson has made this offer.  I had not wanted to bother him without his agreement.  I strongly recommend anybody who wants to solve this problem to follow what he suggests.

I believe there may well be a few small gaps in the instructions which it might be helpful to fill.  I will have a look through them and then discuss with Glyn.  I would like to say that Glyn took endless trouble when he was helping me to get it right, and his instructions were produced as a result of it all.  Although he did not ask for it, he thoroughly deserved a contribution to the charity that he supports and I would repeat my suggestion that anybody who benefits from this might consider doing the same.

Good luck! Yours, Christopher.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Glyn

Thank you for the guide. Have tried hleofx in the past and could not get all the securities to update, will definitely give it another go as your instructions are much clearer. Main reason for giving up was that all of my funds did not appear on the FT site.

I am going to try and adapt the instructions and have the results.csv file fed from my csv file from moneyextra.com which does list all my stocks, oiecs and other unit trusts.

Waqar

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:30 PM
  • PC Troubles,

I use Money 2003 with hleOFxQuotes for ASX stuff and it works fine.

I also trialled the Sunset version, but found no advantage in going through the conversion from Money 2003.

I have been using Money 2003 for many years and hlxOfxQuotes since July last year.

The change in operation to update porices is minimal once setup.

So my recommendation is stay on your current version of Money and introduce hleOFXQuotes.

Thanks, Tim

Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:01 PM
  • PC Troubles, I went back in this thread to find the detailed steps that I had posted. It was on July 25 last year in this same thread.

I also noticed you were active around the same time.

Are you still having troubles getting it all going?

Thanks, Tim

Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:08 PM
  • Thanks Tim,

I kept a copy of your detailed steps from last year and I've downloaded and set up the hleofxquotes files. I have that working and updating those securities that I've listed so far, but I'm yet to tackle the transfer to Money. Guess I've got cold feet with that because I'm worried about messing things up.

However, your postings above have reassured me.

Just one thing though. Referring to the extract from your original message under, have the Price Histories been any problem?

"Outstanding Issues:

1. Unfortunately, the price shows up in the "Price History" as a Buy", rather then "Online" or "Update", and also appears in the Investment Activities as "Add Shares". This is because this method is effectively the equivalent to buying .001 of a share each day at the current price.If you delete the transaction from the dummy account, the pricing history disappears as well."

For instance, when you delete the transaction from the dummy account, doesn't that cause the price to revert to what it was before the update?

Thanks again!

PC Troubles

Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:30 PM
  • Dear PC Troubles,

Do go to Glyn Simpson's link.  It is very comprehensive with screen shots etc.  It will tell you how to import to Money.  However, before you import to Money first make sure that the descriptions of your investments, and the codes, match those in your FT.com portfolio.  If you have managed funds with codes that are too long for Money (even by one digit) then you will need to follow the mapper instructions given by Glyn to make them fit.

If you delete the transactions from your dummy account it will indeed delete the entry and the price will not be saved.  However, Glyn's advice to me was not to bother to delete anything.  The Dummy account is pretty well infinite.  If you are concerned that £0.001 per investment is added to the value of the Dummy account each time, thus marginally overstating the total overall value of your assets on the Home page, simply go to the Dummy cash account and put in a debit equal to the credit shown on the Dummy Investment account.

I hope this helps.  Once you have done it you will be delighted!

• Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:34 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 10:18 AM
  • PC Troubles, I do not delete anything.  I agree with Chris's advice in the other reply you received. All I do is exclude the Dummy Account from any valuation reports.

You are correct. If you delete, you lose the price updates as well.

Thanks, Tim

• Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:22 AM
  • You are correct. If you delete, you lose the price updates as well.

Thanks, Tim

Same thing in France. I use hleOfxQuotes for more than 6 months, with the Dummy account.

It works very well, for Paris Stock exchange, with Yahoo but only for stocks, not for mutual funds. For the mnemo code of the stocks, I've just to add .PA at the mnemo. For example : TOTAL whose mnemo is FP becomes FP.PA   .

Jacquouille la Fripouiile

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:26 AM
  • To Tim, Chris & Jacquouille,

Thanks guys. That explains everything and I believe, thanks to all of you, I now have it sorted. I ran a trial on a separate computer and apart from just a few hiccups through security name changes, which had occurred since Microsoft cut us off and I hadn't yet actioned in Money, it all seemed to pan out just as you assured me it would.

Terrific and many thanks again to all of you.

Kerry

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:01 AM
  • Hmm?...Well...It seems I didn't have it completely sorted at all. I've only got it sorted in part and have six stocks out of fifty-odd that I can't update.

This is what is happening:-

• I enter the troublesome stocks into the OFX Symbols pane along with all the
      others. Then update the prices and that’s successful for the whole lot.
    • Then, I Import to Money and go through the procedure one by
      one.
    • But when I get to the troublesome stocks, they come up as New
      Investments.
    • So I click on the Upper Button as indicated in Glyn's
      instructions, but I can't find those stocks in the drop down menu.
    • If I process them as a New Investment, I end up with two separate
      investment entries for the same securities and the price is not updated in its relevant Investment Account.

Has anyone any ideas please? :(

• Edited by PC Troubles Saturday, February 1, 2014 1:11 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hi, I'm in the UK having previously used Microsoft Money 2005 UK – QFE2 (and for many year before paid-for versions) but had to change to Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe on Windows 8.1 when MS stopped stock quotes downloads and latterly I was unable to download NatWest .ofx bank statements. In the interim I'd tried using iBank on my Mac Recommendation: Don't waste your money, iBank is clunky and nowhere as good as MS Money.

Using the excellent hle-ofx-quotes I have successfully been able to download UK stock quotes from ft.com but somehow, out of the 50 odd stocks, I've erroneously managed to initially 'associate' 4 of them to old incorrect stocks.

I did post on the admirable & extremely useful Cal's Ameridan site and he recommends use of Pocketsense but I’ve tried and have problems configuring it for UK use (particularly getting past the obstacle of UK banks not supporting auto downloads) and before I go down yet another time consuming side road (after hours of work in transferring to Sunset) Q I wondered if anyone (Glyn?) - (oh why didn't I find your so useful article before) has a relatively easy solution to my 'stock association' problem using hle-ofx-quotes? Using mapper .csv doesn't solve the issue.

Many thanks

Ron

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:30 AM
  • Ron,

I suspect that what you need to do is to go into Reports and choose any relevant one.  Then on the left hand side under 'Other Tasks' click on 'View Portfolio'.  On the resulting page under 'Common Tasks' click on 'Work with Investments' and then choose 'Delete an Investment'.  The list will show you if you have a duplication of an investment, one of which will have the correct name and symbol from FT.com, and the other will probably be as you entered it originally when the automatic updates were working.  You might try deleting the wrong one.

Another possibility is if you are using managed funds you need to use mapper to change the symbol to fit.

Before you do any of this, I would strongly suggest that you go on to Glyn's website and plant your question there.  http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/651.aspx 

Yours, Christopher.

Friday, January 31, 2014 6:36 PM
  • I suggest that you right-click a reference to each of those securities, and choose GoToInvestment or GoToInvestmentDetails or similar. In the Details, look at the InvestmentType.

US Money types : Bond, CD or U.S. Savings Bond, Employee Stock Option,
    Index, Money Market, Mutual Fund, Other, Stock

UK Money types:
     Bond, Cash Unit Trust, Index, Managed Fund, Other, Savings Bond and Stocks

I am suspecting that one symbol is associated with one type and the other a different type. I don't know how hleOFXquotes determines the type. In PocketSense the type is determined by a section in sites.dat, but I don't know how those work with the UK types.

• Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:36 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Cal & Christopher.

Many thanks indeed for your very quick replies which prompted me to 'have another go'. You were both right and after deleting erroneous downloads & changing symbol details in Money and updating Mapper.csv the quotes are working. Sorry to anyone reading this with the same problem in that I can't be specific as to exactly how I resolved it.

Many thanks too to the marvellous Hung Le & the very helpful Glyn. It really is so good of you all to help strangers like you do.

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Thanks Cal,

I believe you are right but I don't know how to fix it. I've checked the Investment Types of the problem securities and found they were all created as "Unit Trusts". Another unit trust investment however, that I erroneously created as an Investment Type "Shares", is updating correctly in both the hleOfxQuotes pane and as the original investment in Money.

Can the Investment Types by changed? I've gone to Investment Details but can't see how to amend them.

We're on the right track here I think. Close, but not quite there yet.

Hope you can help.

Sincerely,

Kerry

Friday, January 31, 2014 9:54 PM
  • Dear Kerry,

Glyn tells me that if investments have been entered incorrectly, Money does not allow you to change the investment type.  If you want to do this you will need to re-create the investment and move all of the transactions over to it and then remove the old one.

Yours, Christopher.

• Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:33 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 1:04 PM
  • Thanks Christopher,

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. It seems I can only transfer share/unit investments to another account, not to another investment. So I don't know how to move all the transactions over to the re-created investment. Is there a way please?

Sincerely,

Kerry

Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:48 AM
  • Glyn

Thank you for the guide. Have tried hleofx in the past and could not get all the securities to update, will definitely give it another go as your instructions are much clearer. Main reason for giving up was that all of my funds did not appear on the FT site.

I am going to try and adapt the instructions and have the results.csv file fed from my csv file from moneyextra.com which does list all my stocks, oiecs and other unit trusts.

Waqar

Finally had a chance to try this today, third attempt and i think i have it sussed.

As I mentioned before, use the free portfolio option on Moneyextra.com as it includes all 39 of my shares and unit trusts whereas most of the UTs were missing from FT.com.

The daily download will be a csv file from Moneyextra and then used the excel link option to take the data from there and put it into the FT.com.csv file. This is the only additional step and is a one off exercise.

In theory, the csv from Moneyextra will be automatically updating the fc.com.csv file and hleofxquotes.jar does the rest !

Waqar

Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:09 PM
  • Finally had a chance to try this today, third attempt and i think i have it sussed.

As I mentioned before, use the free portfolio option on Moneyextra.com as it includes all 39 of my shares and unit trusts whereas most of the UTs were missing from FT.com.

The daily download will be a csv file from Moneyextra and then used the excel link option to take the data from there and put it into the FT.com.csv file. This is the only additional step and is a one off exercise.

In theory, the csv from Moneyextra will be automatically updating the ft.com.csv file and hleofxquotes.jar does the rest !

Waqar

• Edited by qwakuk Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:10 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Thanks Christopher,

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. It seems I can only transfer share/unit investments to another account, not to another investment. So I don't know how to move all the transactions over to the re-created investment. Is there a way please?

Sincerely,

Kerry

In this description, I use stock and mutual fund. Just replace those with the applicable terms, and the procedure should work for you.

Changing Mutual Fund to Stock

It is not trivial, but not as hard as it first appears.  A few
    minutes should do it.

In the details, remove the existing symbol, and rename the existing
    "mutual fund" to something you will never use.  Let's suppose you
    choose zzzz.

Create a new stock with the correct name and symbol.  To avoid
    problems with sells, you can simply enter a bogus initial
    transaction with enough shares to cover all subsequent sales.

Go back to investment zzzz and choose InvestmentActivities.

Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list.  My
    inclination would be to try starting with the oldest transaction.
    After all transactions have been moved, delete the dummy entry."

Keep going until there are no more zzzz transactions remaining.  At
    that point you can "delete" zzzz.

• Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:32 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list.  My
    After all transactions have been moved, delete the dummy entry.

Thanks Cal,

I think I'm missing something here because when I go to Transfer Out, using the drop-down menu, I get a message that tells me to change the destination account because you can't transfer to the same account, which makes sense of course, but what am I missing? Should I have also created another account to move the "new" investment into and then when the transfers have all been completed, transfer back into the original account and cancel the newly created account as well as the dummy investment?

I'm thinking I might just leave it alone and continue to update prices of those trust units, wrongly brought into Money as shares, through hleOfxQuotes as shares and those correctly brought in as trust units in the mapper file, as trust units.

I have found it works if I only include those trust units brought in as such, in the mapper file and not those incorrectly brought in as shares. But I would rather be able to fix things properly if possible, by amending the investment types to their correct categories.

Hope you can clarify.

Monday, February 3, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list.  My
    After all transactions have been moved, delete the dummy entry.

Thanks Cal,

I think I'm missing something here because when I go to Transfer Out, using the drop-down menu, I get a message that tells me to change the destination account because you can't transfer to the same account, which makes sense of course, but what am I missing? Should I have also created another account to move the "new" investment into and then when the transfers have all been completed, transfer back into the original account and cancel the newly created account as well as the dummy investment?

I'm thinking I might just leave it alone and continue to update prices of those trust units, wrongly brought into Money as shares, through hleOfxQuotes as shares and those correctly brought in as trust units in the mapper file, as trust units.

I have found it works if I only include those trust units brought in as such, in the mapper file and not those incorrectly brought in as shares. But I would rather be able to fix things properly if possible, by amending the investment types to their correct categories.

Hope you can clarify.

My suggested method is to change the contents of the Investment field for  each transaction in the InvestmentActivities (except for the fake Buy) for the security that you want to be rid of to the security that you want to replace it with the security you want to keep. When only the fake Buy remains, delete it. My suggested method does not involve Transfer Out.

Keep an extra backup or copy of your file before making big changes, in case you want to undo something. Speaking of backups, you might review your backup strategy. It is better to have more than one vintage of backup file. It is not good to have all of your backups on the same hard drive.

• Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:32 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Hi, I posted the following question here https://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers the other day but to be frank I don't know if it is a hle-ofx problem or MS Money, so just in case its the latter I'm duplicating it here.

I'm having a problem with USD & CHF quotes using Money Sunset in the UK. Quotes from FT download correctly showing USD$ & Swiss Francs CHF into Version: hleOfxQuotes-Build_20111221_78-app but are treated by money as £GBP (base currency). I have correct exchange rates in Money settings.

Is it anything to do with settings in Money or HLE Quotes (as I see there is an 'Exchange Rates' tab at the bottom with an a tab "Import to Money"? If so how do I update that? )

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Thanks Cal,

"Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list."

But how do I do that? You see, I can't see any appropriate Investment Activity in the drop-down list to do it with. Does it mean "copy" each transaction in the old investment and insert in the new investment? I can understand how that might work.

Kerry

PS: Is this the answer? - I can change each "zzz" entry to the newly created investment, one at a time, by changing the first "zzz" buy shares entry, to the name of the newly created investment and so on and so forth until I've finished removing all of the entries?

• Edited by PC Troubles Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:53 AM Added comment
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Hi PC Troubles,

I am using hle-ofx-quotes and Microsoft Money 2007 to download Australian stocks.  I use Yahoo as the source in hle-ofx-quotes and I have added .AX to each ASX stock symbol, for example, the Quote Source in hle-ofx-quotes has: ANZ.AX, WOW.AX  I have also added .AX to the stock symbols within MSMoney and set up a new investment account with all the shares names in it but with quantity zero.

In fact this option is better than Money ever was as I can download Commonwealth Bank PERL Vs (CBAPA.AX) which I could never get thru Money.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Thanks Cal,

"Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list."

But how do I do that? You see, I can't see any appropriate Investment Activity in the drop-down list to do it with. Does it mean "copy" each transaction in the old investment and insert in the new investment? I can understand how that might work.

Kerry

PS: Is this the answer? - I can change each "zzz" entry to the newly created investment, one at a time, by changing the first "zzz" buy shares entry, to the name of the newly created investment and so on and so forth until I've finished removing all of the entries?

Did you change the symbol to zzz? Then look at the investment activities for zzz, and that list should not be empty. You have to click a transaction in that list to see the drop-down list that shows zzz for a given transaction. Change each one at a time. Each time you change 1, the list becomes shorter. When you are down to the fake Buy, delete it and you are done. There are no more zzz transactions at that point.
    • Proposed as answer by PC Troubles Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:59 AM
  • Thanks Doc,

I've got the hleOfxQuotes import working well enough, just having a bit of trouble changing some incorrect Investment Types at the moment and that's another story.

But what does your new account with all the zero holdings achieve please, does it in some way negate the Add Shares fractions?

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:52 PM
  • Thanks Cal,

I've got it now.

I was confusing the "Investment" drop down list with the "Investment Activities" drop down list. I thought I was to change the investment activity in the "Investment Activities" list and couldn't find the appropriate activity. However, I do now understand that it was the "Investment" drop down list in which I was to make the changes and now it's all good and working fine.

Kerry 

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:09 AM
  • To Cal, Christopher, Glyn, Tim and everybody else who helped,

Many thanks, because with your help I believe I now have it sorted and it's going to save me a lot of time.

After ironing out a few problems with some mutual fund securities, mainly because I had brought a couple of them into Money incorrectly as "Shares" instead of "Unit Trusts", with all the help, guidance and suggestions you've given, it's now all good and working beautifully and I think and hope I've marked all of your helpful messages as such.

Cheers,
    Kerry :)

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Dear Kerry,

I am delighted that you have been able to sort out the problem.  It is kind of you to send this message of thanks.  Knowing how grateful I was to Glyn and the amount of help that I had personally needed to set things up, I have been only too glad to help others where possible.

Good luck!

Christopher.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Hi Christopher et al

Sorry to keep bothering you but I just wondered if my problem posted above on Monday had somehow got missed amongst the flurry of posts re Kerry's difficulties. As I said, I'm having a problem with USD & CHF stocks and funds quotes (i.e non base currency GBP) downloaded from FT.com  in that they are being posted into Money (despite my having set correct currency exchange rates within Money's options) as if they are GBP i.e. inflating their worth.

As a side note, Money occasionally (but confusingly not always) is now crashing after downloads and I wondered if this is a reflection of some internal conflict within Money. Thanks in anticipation of your help - if indeed you can!

Ron
    Using MS Money Sunset on Windows 8.1 32bit with hleOfxQuotes-Build_20111221_78

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Have you applied the patch as shown in the second sticky thread ?

The entry is called "Money Plus bug and solution (mnyob99.dll)"

When first reported, problems included abends after downloads and when

adding new payees.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Dear Ron,

You need to put this question to Glyn on www.money.mvps.org/faq/article/651.aspx.  At the very bottom of the page in small letters you will see the "Contact me" button.

Yours, Christopher.

Wally Wing

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Dear Ron,

It's all very laborious. I gave up on OFX and hle-ofx-quotes and resorted to manual download or paste of FT.com data and then creating my own QIF files. With QIF it is essential to import the price data into an account which is in the same currency as the price. I assume the same might apply to OFX. What I have found works (this is Money 2005 UK) is to create a separate dummy investment account for each currency you need and then import the new price data to the relevant dummy account. This does mean a separate import for each currency.

I also have to convert GBX to GBP (my base currency is AUD by the way) prior to import.

The QIF files look like:

!Type:Invst
    D24/01'2014
    T0.000
    NBuy
    Y8$. SIX SMI (Switzerland)
    I8201.5
    Q0.000
    O0.00
    ^
    D24/01'2014
    T0.000
    NBuy
    YNestle SA SIX listing
    I66.85
    Q0.000
    O0.00
    ^
    D24/01'2014
    T0.000
    NBuy
    YSGS AG SIX Listing
    I2077
    Q0.000
    O0.00
    ^
    D24/01'2014
    T0.000
    NBuy
    Y* Swiss Franc
    I0.7811
    Q0.000
    O0.00
    ^

I've used CHF for the sample because my CHF files are short. Note that what this does is put in a "buy" of no shares so I get a long string of zero buys in my dummy accounts but I minimize them (could also just not show them) in Portfolio so I don't see them. However, my prices in my real accounts and in reports are the imported ones.

Peter

P.S. To all the people who worked on hleOfxQuotes and related code my heartfelt thanks - I couldn't have worked out my alternative without them. Also for anyone looking for source data for stocks across multiple currencies, I found the free FT.com data so good that I felt obliged to pay for an on-line subscription even though I only wanted the free stuff. (I haven't come across a stock exchange not included.)

• Proposed as answer by Southcroft Friday, February 7, 2014 10:21 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi Peter

Many thanks indeed for your helpful and detailed advice. However my latest problem is Money Sunset Deluxe crashing when I expand/view my 'dummy' investment and I'm practically losing the will to live now! I've only got 3 'foreign stocks/funds' and if and when I manage to resolve the crashing problem I think I'll just rely on my brokers statements to manually update prices using the relevant exchange rate.

But for those who have a similar problem the wonderful Glyn has just emailed me the following:

I've spotted this issue with another person who contacted me, but unfortunately we found a bug in Money. What appears to happen is that the OFX file that is created is correct - it shows the price in the correct currency and having the correct value, but when imported into Money, Money uses the base currency of the account, rather than the investment, and then revalues the price but leaves it in the same currency. 

This means a download of say $1 becomes $1.60 in Money.

The workaround is slightly awkward in that you would have to have a 'watch' investment account for each different currency you hold stocks in, as if the investment account has the same currency as the investment, the problem does not manifest itself.

If you have a second investment account, then you would have to do two downloads - one for each currency (and you'd have to run hleOfx in two different places as you need to set two account ids in that program to ensure the downloads go to the correct accounts), but it can work.

Friday, February 7, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Thanks Christopher, I've contacted Glyn and he's replied with helpful advice which I've copied on to this forum. Ron
    Friday, February 7, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Ashley, thanks, but the replacement of mnyob99.dll hasn't resolved the crashing issue which is only happening when in 'portfolio manager' I try to expand my 'dummy investment' to view.

Friday, February 7, 2014 11:26 AM