Public IM not working after server move RRS feed

• Question

• I had an Edge server that was fully operational with federation to other companies and Public IM all working fine. I then installed a new server and scrapped the old one, giving the new server the same IP addresses as before and re-importing the same Digicert public certificate.

Now, Public IM doesn't work, with contacts displaying as 'Presence Unknown' and the following errors in the event log. However, my federation with other companies still works. Any idea what the problem could be?

OCS Protocol Stack

Event ID 14502

A significant number of connection failures have occurred with remote server federation.messenger.msn.com IP 65.54.227.249. There have been 231 failures in the last 553 minutes. There have been a total of 3098 failures.

The specific failure types and their counts are identified below.

Instance count - Failure Type

3097 80072746

1 8007274C

This can be due to credential issues , DNS , firewalls or proxies. The specific failure types above should identify the problem.

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

• I eventually got this fixed. When I moved the server I got DigiCert to reissue my certificate, only this time it was issued under 2048 bit DigiCert High Assurance. Eventually found out from MS support that this type of cert doesn't work with PIC, it has to be from DigiCert Global.

The DigiCert chain must also be as follows, as PIC doesn't work with 2048 bit:

Entrust 1024

DigiCert 2048

Certificate 1024

• Marked as answer by Simon Geary Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:06 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:05 AM