Embedding a GUI component in a section (webpart style) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I want to write a .NET component, some web GUI , which will be embedded inside an entity section/tab,
    using the following integration style:
    1. It should be on the same web application with the CRM (why use another web application for components?).
    2. It should get the context from the CRM framework (the entity id, reference to services, etc.)

I'm not trying to invent anything here, looking for something similar to WebParts in sharepoint, modules
    in DotNetNuke, or even controls in ASP.NET (a component which is hosted and invoked by the framework).
    IFRAME (or adding a sitemap link to another application ) doesn't stand these requirements, neither writing an add-in (because it's not a GUI component).

Does Dynamic CRM support this extensibility style? If not, is there any work around i can use?

Thanks,
    Yoni

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Yoni,

Unfortunitely MS CRM does not support custom components other than through IFRAMES. There have been some solutions in JS which manipulates a textbox to open a new window onClick etc but nothing to the extent of Sharepoint WebParts. MS CRM can however be accessed via Web Parts, so perhaps you could develop your application within a portal?

Cheers,

Karlo

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Yoni,

Unfortunitely MS CRM does not support custom components other than through IFRAMES. There have been some solutions in JS which manipulates a textbox to open a new window onClick etc but nothing to the extent of Sharepoint WebParts. MS CRM can however be accessed via Web Parts, so perhaps you could develop your application within a portal?

Cheers,

Karlo

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Thanks Karlo,
    Disappointment news but your only the messenger Smile

Anyway, I'm hard to understand how Dynamic Architects came up with that decision...
    Embedding a GUI component in a large framework is a basic requirement.

Is there Anyone from the team here who can move that feedback forward (for the next versions)?

Yoni

Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:40 AM