System Partion keeps growing. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,  on one of my servers (PP1) the system size keeps getting larger. About a gig a day now. I just noticed it the other day. It's already up to 70 gigs acording to the server storage tab. I have one Add-in installed, Remote Noification. Nothing to exciting going on in the evnt logs, some MRxSmb warning and 1 ftdisk warning about not being able to flush data in time to the trasnaction logs. I use SyncToy to copy Quickbooks Backups to the server and also copy some Excell files to a shared folder. The server has 2 500gig WD hardrives. The only change I've made to the server is to allow myself to log on to the desktop instead of the console  from the webpage.(It's a server that's about 5 miles from my home and I hate to log on to a desktop there to get access to the event logs.) I'm using the server to backup an office  ( 2 computers) at a large dairy farm. Right after the server went on line 1 of the hardrives failed, so it ran with one drive till the replacment arived. That was about 2 weeks. When I check in My Computer the SYS C: drive is sized at 20gigs - 14gigs free.  Data D: 445 - 844 free. I run 2 other servers with the same set up and no problems so far. I'm not to worried, but I'd like to figure out whats going on.
    Thanks, Gene
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:35 AM

Answers

• ebd said:

Thank you Kariya21, I did as you asked so under the Shadow Copies Tab all the drives are listed as Disabled for Shadow copys.  There are dates listed below, todays date going back to when the server was put on line.  When I check the services in manage, Volume Shadow Copys is set to manual. The numbers do add up. About 50gigs of Shadow Copys. So why are there shadow copys being made if the drives are set to disable?

Because the interface you're looking at is Server 2003 (the underlying OS).  However, it's not 2003 that's running Shadows, it's WHS.

ebd said:

Did I read some where it was a good idea to shut off Shadow copys, then try to do that and do it wrong?

Nope, that's how WHS works OOTB.

ebd said:

Is it advisable to Disable Shadow Copys?

Shadow Copies do not function correctly in WHS.  You can completely disable it if you like.  You will need to modify the registry (however, if you've never done that before, I would advise against it).  Obviously backup the registry first, just in case. :)  You need to go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  From there, find the GUID that represents the D partition (you will see the drive letter/mount point for each hard drive listed separately in each GUID).  Once you find the drive that represents the D partition, set the SnapPeriod key to 0.  (You will know you found the correct drive because every other volume will already have a value of 0.)

ebd said:

I do remeber getting Errors for them when I first put the server on line. Thanks again,Gene

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by ebd Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:46 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:07 AM

All replies

• ebd said:

Hi everyone,  on one of my servers (PP1) the system size keeps getting larger. About a gig a day now. I just noticed it the other day. It's already up to 70 gigs acording to the server storage tab. I have one Add-in installed, Remote Noification. Nothing to exciting going on in the evnt logs, some MRxSmb warning and 1 ftdisk warning about not being able to flush data in time to the trasnaction logs. I use SyncToy to copy Quickbooks Backups to the server and also copy some Excell files to a shared folder. The server has 2 500gig WD hardrives. The only change I've made to the server is to allow myself to log on to the desktop instead of the console  from the webpage.(It's a server that's about 5 miles from my home and I hate to log on to a desktop there to get access to the event logs.) I'm using the server to backup an office  ( 2 computers) at a large dairy farm. Right after the server went on line 1 of the hardrives failed, so it ran with one drive till the replacment arived. That was about 2 weeks. When I check in My Computer the SYS C: drive is sized at 20gigs - 14gigs free.  Data D: 445 - 844 free. I run 2 other servers with the same set up and no problems so far. I'm not to worried, but I'd like to figure out whats going on.
    Thanks, Gene

There is nothing wrong with 14 GB free on the C partition.  If you are referring to the pie chart showing more than 20 GB in the Console, it might be due to Shadow Copies (which runs every 12 hours on the OEM version of WHS).  You can verify if that's what it is by logging into the server desktop, go to My Computer and right click on the D partition, then click the Shadow Copies tab.  Any used space you see there ends up in the pie chart under SYSTEM.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Thank you Kariya21, I did as you asked so under the Shadow Copies Tab all the drives are listed as Disabled for Shadow copys.  There are dates listed below, todays date going back to when the server was put on line.  When I check the services in manage, Volume Shadow Copys is set to manual. The numbers do add up. About 50gigs of Shadow Copys. So why are there shadow copys being made if the drives are set to disable? Did I read some where it was a good idea to shut off Shadow copys, then try to do that and do it wrong? Is it advisable to Disable Shadow Copys? I do remeber getting Errors for them when I first put the server on line. Thanks again,Gene
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:34 AM
  • ebd said:

Thank you Kariya21, I did as you asked so under the Shadow Copies Tab all the drives are listed as Disabled for Shadow copys.  There are dates listed below, todays date going back to when the server was put on line.  When I check the services in manage, Volume Shadow Copys is set to manual. The numbers do add up. About 50gigs of Shadow Copys. So why are there shadow copys being made if the drives are set to disable?

Because the interface you're looking at is Server 2003 (the underlying OS).  However, it's not 2003 that's running Shadows, it's WHS.

ebd said:

Did I read some where it was a good idea to shut off Shadow copys, then try to do that and do it wrong?

Nope, that's how WHS works OOTB.

ebd said:

Is it advisable to Disable Shadow Copys?

Shadow Copies do not function correctly in WHS.  You can completely disable it if you like.  You will need to modify the registry (however, if you've never done that before, I would advise against it).  Obviously backup the registry first, just in case. :)  You need to go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  From there, find the GUID that represents the D partition (you will see the drive letter/mount point for each hard drive listed separately in each GUID).  Once you find the drive that represents the D partition, set the SnapPeriod key to 0.  (You will know you found the correct drive because every other volume will already have a value of 0.)

ebd said:

I do remeber getting Errors for them when I first put the server on line. Thanks again,Gene

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by ebd Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:46 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:07 AM