WHS PP1 getting error backing up Windows Vista SP1 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the WHS PP1 Beta on a test system  then loaded the new connector software on the Windows Vista 64bit system (Everything works but the backup)

When it tried to do a automatic or a manual backup it fails - the notes state it was unable to create a snapshot of the drives.  Any suggestions.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:29 PM

All replies

• Please file a bug on Connect. 

It sounds like the Volume ShadowCopy Services on your Vista x64 PC are somehow messed up.  The Windows Home Server backup solution uses VSS to take a snapshot of the PC's hard drives to figure out what clusters have changed, while allowing you to still work on your PC.

Before trying to solve the issue, it would be great if you could file a bug.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Will do Thanks

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:36 PM
  • try running a chkdsk /f as well

I had the same thing happen on my x86 vista machine awhile back and that fixed it.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:35 AM
  • For quick reference... how large are the volumes that are set to be backed up? How much free space exists on each?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:12 AM
  •  

My 1st question is, did you have a 'forced install' of the connector on your Vista x64 install before PP1?  If so, did you have PRE-PP1 backups on the WhS.  If yes, then you may have to remote and then re-add the machine to the WhS.  This should delete the backup set for the machine and this may work.

2nd - Check the the VSS WRITERS (Volume Shadow Copies Writers) are running ok on your Vista x64 machine.  Do this via the

CMD prompt (as elavated admin) 

Then running 'VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS'

You should get back a list of Shadow writers with STATUS as STABLE and LAST ERROR - NO ERROR, if all is well with the Vista x64 installation.

I hope this helps.....  Let us know your findings... PS my Vista x64 install is backing up fine, but I did start from fresh build and then install the WhS connector.

Regards,

Stephen..

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:57 AM
  •  

This is the 2nd time Im writing this.

Even your BBS system doesnt work.  Surprised.  Another fine MS product.  Im trying to ask these gentlemen how the ***ens you got your 64 bit machine to do the connector install?  I did the PP1 install.  I have a HP media smart and I installed the PP1.

I ran the connector software utility from localhost/software and it goes through the install until finally throwing up a message "Home Server Mini Setup has stopped working" and then the close prg msg. 

How did you guys get it installed in the first place?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:31 PM
  • I guess like the rest of us - with no problems whatsoever. I've now installed the Connector on 6 X64 machines, all trouble free.

This a beta, the whole idea is to test it on the multitude of hardware configurations that can exist. Any internal testing can only trial so much - unless of course, you expect Microsoft to have every possible computer ever built.

The best thing to do, is report it on Connect and post the Talq etc.

Colin

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Well I am definitely humble enough to assume Im doing this wrong or something.  How did you get the connector to install?  What did you differently than I? 

The BBS failing...that's definitely not me lol.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:27 AM
  • When running the backup feature (manual or scheduled) on a Vista 64 bit client, the backup Stutus indicator stops at 24 % with the following error message: "The backup failed because of a problem with Windows Home Server software. The eventlog on the server contains more details." Running chkdsk /r has not solved the issue and so far I have not been able to complete a single backup of the 64 bit client. My 32 bit systems backs up fine on the same server.

The vvsadmin reports all but one stable and with no errors. The System Writer has no error but the staus is set to: `(5) Waiting for completion` (translated from norwegian).

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:19 PM
  • WITno, please submit a bug on Connect. And don't forget to include talq logs from the failing client and the server.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:01 PM