How do I change synchonization location (local folder)? RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to my Live Mesh Folders in Windows Explorer, I can right-click on a mesh folder and "change synchronization settings", and when the Change Synchronization window pops up, it shows me the local location and it has a Browse button.  However, the Browse button is greyed out.  On both systems i use (winxpsp3 vistasp1) it does this.  Is there a way to enable the Browse button and change the local directory that the mesh directory is syncing with?  If I try to hammer in another directory, by deleting the mesh folder from my desktop and "resyncing with this computer" all it does is give me a 401-not authorized error.... but that's documented in another thread so I won't get into it here.  I just want to know how to change the local sync location.  Thanks. 
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Being able to change the location of Live Mesh folders (without breaking sync) is a popular request, and something we're working on for a future release, but unfortunately there is no easy way to do it at this point in time.  Please feel free to add your vote for this (and any other ideas you might have) to our Suggestions sticky.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Being able to change the location of Live Mesh folders (without breaking sync) is a popular request, and something we're working on for a future release, but unfortunately there is no easy way to do it at this point in time.  Please feel free to add your vote for this (and any other ideas you might have) to our Suggestions sticky.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Ben,

Hmm... ok.  Maybe a dumb question, with the same answer... but is there a way to change the location of the local Live Mesh folder before even beginning Sync?  Basically, I want to sync my Favorites folders on two computers, so when I add/modify/delete a bookmark in IE on one computer, the change shows up on another.  So, on computer #1, I can start the sync using my Favorites folder, but then on Computer #2 it's putting a Favorites folder on my desktop, which is not where I want it.  Can I, say, choose to not sync on computer #2, then physically go to it and somehow link up the correct Favorites folder to the mesh Favorites folder?  (you can simply say Yes if it's possible and I've just not done enough research... don't want to waste your time telling me how, or have you get irritated that I haven't dug deep enough ;))

EDIT: Just read your post in the "401 Not authorized to access specified resource." thread.... so I'll accept that it's just not possible at this point. :(  however.....

I guess if it truly is not possible, then thats OK, and I'll go vote for it.  But... I'm curious as to why others have responded to me saying their "Browse" button is active and they have successfully changed the local sync directory.  But, what I'm hearing from you is that the Browse button is greyed out because the functionality doesn't exist, and thus the local sync directory is effectively "locked".

EDIT2: FYI, a user is saying he can click the Browse button in this thread: "What will happen to FolderShare ?"

Thanks again for your help.
    Brian
    • Edited by triggerx Friday, November 7, 2008 1:57 PM Added EDIT2 section
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Hi Brian,

During the technology preview of Live Mesh the "Browse" button when syncing a folder was available, but it was never exactly simple to specify a new location for a Live Mesh folder (it could cause various problems, e.g., generating conflicts).  We are, however, working to make this whole experience smoother - to give our customers a feature that "just works" as they say.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:34 PM
  • 1. Move your Live Mesh Folder from your desktop to your desired location at your machine. The folder must keep looking blue.
    2. Go to My Computer/Live Mesh Folders and double click the folder you just move. The BROWSE button for changing folder location must be available. Change the location
    3. In the same window, in the "Choose when to sync..." panel, click the arrow and from the drop down menu select again "When files are added or modified". A "Merge with existing folder?" message appears. Click yes. Your folders are syncronized and located just where they must be.

It's easier if you just right click the folder you want to share in the source computer, select "Add folder to live mesh". When added, go the computers you are synchronizing with, look at the shortcut icon which just appeared, and double click it. Follow the 2nd and 3rd steps mentioned

Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Just tried this and it seems to have worked just fine. Thank you for posting this. 
    Friday, August 14, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for posting this. I just tried this, and it seems to be working just fine.  I also have everything backed up on a DVD, just in case.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Microsoft has to be - absolutely has to be - the largest corporation of bumbling idiots in the history of corporate America. Never mind their quest for world market domination; never mind their intensely hostile war on user control; never mind their widespread plagiarism and inability to have a single, coherent, independent idea (and no, I'm not some paranoid freak living in his mother's basement). Take this infinitesimal problem as a microcosm of all that is the horror of Microsoft. They create a program for users to synchronize files, yet once created on the first computer, users cannot customize or change in any way their file locations on additional computers. Users are simply stuck with the location in which Microsoft chooses to place the files. I cannot imagine the stupidity of the person at Microsoft who thought this was a good idea. It reminds me of Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 6, where I wish I could ask George Lucas how could he have ever thought to make such bad films. But then again, that just might be like talking to a cloud.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Microsoft has to be - absolutely has to be - the largest corporation of bumbling idiots in the history of corporate America. Never mind their quest for world market domination; never mind their intensely hostile war on user control; never mind their widespread plagiarism and inability to have a single, coherent, independent idea (and no, I'm not some paranoid freak living in his mother's basement). Take this infinitesimal problem as a microcosm of all that is the horror of Microsoft. They create a program for users to synchronize files, yet once created on the first computer, users cannot customize or change in any way their file locations on additional computers. Users are simply stuck with the location in which Microsoft chooses to place the files. I cannot imagine the stupidity of the person at Microsoft who thought this was a good idea. It reminds me of Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 6, where I wish I could ask George Lucas how could he have ever thought to make such bad films. But then again, that just might be like talking to a cloud.

Never mind your tirade, but I believe that you are ranting about a bug in Windows Live Mesh, not the discussion in this thread for Live Mesh beta.

If you *are* going on about Live Mesh beta (www.mesh.com) you have the ability to select the destination sync folder. In some cases, the option fails to be offered and the folder automatically syncs to a desktop location - that would also be a bug.

Since you are probably referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, you are in the wrong forum.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

Assuming that you are complaining about Windows Live Mesh, the bug is that a folder off the root of the source drive causes Windows Live Mesh to not allow you to designate a different end point on the other PCs. If the source is within another folder, you should not encounter this issue. Whatever the case, ranting isn't likely to get you anywhere, bug or not.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:27 PM