Restoring Windows One Care files to Windows 7 64 bit

• Hello, I have read all the posts (I think) on the subject of viewing and restoring One Care folders and files residing on my external backup drive to my Windows 7 computer.

The files were created on my former XP computer, and I want to be able to read the files and reclaim them to my current Win 7 64 bit system. The folder is called "Windows One Care Backup".

However, when opening the folder,  all I can do is see the .zip files. I am not able to access the files to unzip them, because I get the "access denied" message. I have taken individual zip files and changed ownership to Admin, me, everybody but still cannot open the files or unzip them.

I downloaded and tried the one care recovery tool, but get an error message that says something like. "restore cannot continue, reboot computer and try again". Rebooting twice did not enable the recovery tool to work on my Windows 7 machine.

So, I am at a loss as to how to get my XP backup data to be transferable and readable. Does anyone have any ideas other than what I have tried? Thanks to anyone who might have a solution.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:42 PM