WHS gets stuck on loading acpitabl.sys RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,
    I am running a Dell PowerEdge 600SC server.
    Installed a Windows Home Server a few month ago and just aquired a Dell CERC raid card. (with the latest firmware update, actually all hardware has the latest firmware as I updated it the other night)

When I started initially the system loaded just fine, recognized the card and loaded drivers for it.
    Right now the card has 2 HDs on it and I was able to add them to the WHS.
    On a reboot after that the WHS fails to boot or should I say it sits on Windows logo screen and scrolly thing keeps moving for hours.
    I tried booting in Safe Mode and noticed that it gets stuck loading acpitabl.sys
    Hmmm...
    So I removed the card and the system booted just fine.
    Booted in SM to try removing the drivers that Windows installed itself. (to try installing the latest drivers from Dell)
    In SM it doesnt list the card (because it's not in) so I dont know how to even go about it.

The symptoms are something like this:
    (BTW, Even though it's a RAID card I the drives on it arent raided.)

Any ideas?

thanks
    Monday, February 18, 2008 7:30 PM

All replies

• yea... this is a bug with win2003 especially on older hardware.  I have a a dual p3 and had the exact problem (linux and Win2000 acpi works fine on same hardware).  The only way around it is when you reboot the first time to the text mode 2003 install, when it prompts you for the scsi drivers f6, hit f5 and select nonacpi (doing this from memory so the actual name is elluding me).  In my case i selected multicpu non acpi hal.  I was able to get it installed then.

Hope that helps.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:14 PM
  • I think it's more like my server is to old. Smile
    the reason I think that is because I bought 2 of those identical raid cards and nstalled the 2nd one at work on a Windows 2003 (web) server.
    No problems on that one.
    I though darn.., I might have way to many controlled cards on my WHS... (Promise TX100, a SATA 2 port card, Adaptec 39160, + onboard stuff), but when I yank all the cards out it still have issues with booting on this Dell's raid controller.

What do you mean reboot the 1st time? As in reinstalling WHS?

Thanks!

DrX69 wrote:

yea... this is a bug with win2003 especially on older hardware.  I have a a dual p3 and had the exact problem (linux and Win2000 acpi works fine on same hardware).  The only way around it is when you reboot the first time to the text mode 2003 install, when it prompts you for the scsi drivers f6, hit f5 and select nonacpi (doing this from memory so the actual name is elluding me).  In my case i selected multicpu non acpi hal.  I was able to get it installed then.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:22 PM
  • I have been running the Dell CERC card in my PowerEdge 500SC and the installation found it without any extra drivers. However, I think this is because it is the 4 port ATA card rather than the SATA one. I have since replaced the CERC card with a SATA card but my bot disk is running from the motherboard IDE controller and so I have been installing drivers on a running system. The saga of my SATA controllers is in another thread, as my first choice hasn't worked very well.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:36 PM
  • during install mainly... but it did happen once to me afterwards. 
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:57 PM