Knowing which drive to replace? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to upgrade my WHS drives to 1 TB from 500 GB (except the system drive which will remain 500 GB) in my HP MediaSmart Home Server

I'm looking at the Storage Hard Drives screen which shows four drives in this order:

WDC WD50...
    ST350063...
    (System) ST350063
    WDC WD50 ...

Can I assume that the first drive listed is the drive in the top bay, the second in the second bay, etc.? If not, how do I figure out which drive is the right one to remove? Thanks
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:10 AM

Answers

• Boaster01 said:

I want to upgrade my WHS drives to 1 TB from 500 GB (except the system drive which will remain 500 GB) in my HP MediaSmart Home Server

I'm looking at the Storage Hard Drives screen which shows four drives in this order:

WDC WD50...
    ST350063...
    (System) ST350063
    WDC WD50 ...

Can I assume that the first drive listed is the drive in the top bay, the second in the second bay, etc.?

No.

Boaster01 said:

If not, how do I figure out which drive is the right one to remove? Thanks

Although I don't use the HP MSS, I thought it had a way of identifying drives by the LEDs on the server.  If it doesn't, the easiest way would be to shut down the server, pull one hard drive from the server and turn it back on.  Once you power it up, you will obviously get a whole bunch of error messages about missing files/folders/drives/etc.  Go to the Server Storage tab and see which one is missing.  (Also, once you figure out which drive is which, I strongly recommend using the Windows Home Server Disk Management add-in.)
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:07 AM

All replies

• Boaster01 said:

I want to upgrade my WHS drives to 1 TB from 500 GB (except the system drive which will remain 500 GB) in my HP MediaSmart Home Server

WDC WD50...
    ST350063...
    (System) ST350063
    WDC WD50 ...

Can I assume that the first drive listed is the drive in the top bay, the second in the second bay, etc.?

No.

Boaster01 said:

If not, how do I figure out which drive is the right one to remove? Thanks

Although I don't use the HP MSS, I thought it had a way of identifying drives by the LEDs on the server.  If it doesn't, the easiest way would be to shut down the server, pull one hard drive from the server and turn it back on.  Once you power it up, you will obviously get a whole bunch of error messages about missing files/folders/drives/etc.  Go to the Server Storage tab and see which one is missing.  (Also, once you figure out which drive is which, I strongly recommend using the Windows Home Server Disk Management add-in.)
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:07 AM
  • On the HP units, when you remove a drive from the storage pool using the console the light for that drive will change color. You can't remove the system drive, which is the lowest drive in the case.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 29, 2008 2:39 AM