none
MSFT Contingent Stuff and MCC - are they allowed? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everybody,

I've seen many people showing both MSFT contingent stuff and MCC. The MCC FAQ states that MSFT employee can not have MCC status. However, may be this doesn't not apply to contingent stuff?

Can someone please clarify this point?

Thanks in advance.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

• Changed type Naomi NModerator Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:19 PM Never got the answer
    Monday, November 26, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• I'm following up with the PM for the MCC program. Stay tuned.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi Naomi

Just to fill the void while we wait, and just as conjecture, what would happen if an MCC was hired by MS because of their obvious skills in that work?

Or what if someone went for an MS job, and their MCC gave them the edge in the interviews?

Should they then lose their award?

I agree that awards like MCC should be to encourage community (being the 'C' of course), not people who are doing it as part of their day job anyway, but it wouldn't be fair to deny someone of the award if they earn't it before-hand. In fact if it WERE getting hired off the back of being an MCC, that would be a great aspiration to promote. Once they're in of course I agree they shouldn't be eligible for renewal, next time round.

An interesting observation Naomi.

Like I say, I'm just joining the conversation, and interested to see the outcome.

Best regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Yes, an interesting point of view. BTW, I see few relatively recent MSFT contignent stuff who I noticed before for providing good answers in the SQL Server forums. I think they could have received their job due to them answering a lot of questions in the forums.

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Wow, that's awesome. Thanks Albert!

In case Albert doesn't hear back, you can ask them directly here: mccga@microsoft.com

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:10 AM
    Owner
  • XAML Pete guy,

That scenario we know... Anyone hired will keep their MCC or MVP badge for the remainder of the term... the remainder of the 90 days for MCC or 1 year for MVP.

The team has deemed it isn't high enough priority to try to change this (to basically add an "if MS then remove MVP, Partner, or MCC" rule).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:13 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, an interesting point of view. BTW, I see few relatively recent MSFT contignent stuff who I noticed before for providing good answers in the SQL Server forums. I think they could have received their job due to them answering a lot of questions in the forums.

My blog

Or maybe they didn't know to or how to associate their accounts yet. I've seen this happen a lot.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:14 AM
    Owner
  • I've seen people being MSFT contingent stuff for a long period of time (more than a year) recently showing the badge also. So, I am not sure that this rule applied. More likely being contingent stuff doesn't automatically exclude you from gaining the award.

I need to get an exact answer from Albert. I did send e-mail to the mcga@microsoft.com about this problem but never received a satisfactory answer. I also dislike very much the manner to answer with 1 sentence and then send a message that the issue is resolved and even a link to survey in a different email.

I did answer that survey twice though.

I am not sure who is answering at that e-mail, but it looks like a robot or a person who is not very familiar with English. Only once I got an OK answer from that e-mail.

My blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Naomi,

MCC is out of scope for this forum. I can ask Albert to pass on your frustrations to their team.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:43 PM
    Owner
  • I pinged Albert and let him know. Thanks!

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:52 AM
    Owner
  • I am also curious as why many deserving folks do not show this badge. Say, several active answerers in SQL Server forum are without a badge. In VFP forum many active answerers are without a badge, although this I can partly understand as VFP forum being something like an artifact for die-hard people.

My blog

Friday, November 30, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Naomi or Ed,

I have actively participated in the Microsoft TechNet more than a year.

I have 15,158 points, 22 bronze medals, 9 silver and 5 gold

Below is my profile

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/leonardo%20c%C3%B4co/?ws=usercard-inline

What is needed to get the recognition MCC?

Leonardo Côco .:. MCP | MCDST | MCTS | MCSA | ITIL | ISO/IEC 20000 | ISO/IEC 27002 .:. Se a resposta foi útil classifique-a .:.

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Hi Leonardo

MCC is a 3 monthly award, quarterly, and lasts for that 3 months.

If you haven't already done so, read this - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4827.how-to-become-an-mvp-or-mcc.aspx

Looking at your history I'd say you're doing everything you need to, but must have just missed out this time round. 

I understand the award has only recently started up again, and therefore I'm guessing you were just unfortunate not to have been as active as others for that period (Jul-Sept?)

I see your last few weeks' activity has jumped again, so you may find you get an invite for this current period, if you keep it up.

Also worth noting that the invite goes to junk mail, if you have any spam filters. That's where I found mine.

So if you don't keep an eye out and your junk folder auto-empties, you may miss the invite :/

Good luck,
    Pete

#PEJL

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:18 PM
  • XAML guy,

I realized at that, Microsoft has no sound criteria used to achieve this recognition.

You can make appointment to this recognition?

thanks for the feedback

Leonardo Côco .:. MCP | MCDST | MCTS | MCSA | ITIL | ISO/IEC 20000 | ISO/IEC 27002 .:. Se a resposta foi útil classifique-a .:.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:32 AM
  • XAML guy,

I realized at that, Microsoft has no sound criteria used to achieve this recognition.

You can make appointment to this recognition?

thanks for the feedback

HI Leonardo !

Welcome to the Forums. First of all i would like to tell you that MCC program was started back in 2011, then it stopped in April 2012. Previously it has been a year long Recognition Program and know as "MCC Award". Now it has been started back in October 2012 with a little change in format and now it is three months long Recognition known as "MCC Badge". The criteria now it they measures last 3 months performance and evaluates it to benchmark which can be changed from time to time.

So now, when i see your last three months performance from period "July 2012 - September 2012" it evaluates 293 points which definitely won't make you a strong candidate for the MCC Badge this quarter.

Now when i see you performance from period "October 2012 - December 2012" it already evaluates to 1350 points with whole month of December in spare. So if you made good amount of contributions (contribution has be to be quality content) in this coming month of December you will definitely be considered for the MCC Badge.

Everyone who misses this Award in the current cycle don't led yourself down, Please keep up with your hard work in here and you will definitely be recognized in next cycle.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hasham,

got it, thanks for the clarification

Now let's work to be recognized in the next cycle of MCC

Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:45 AM
  • BTW, I am wondering - will this award be given every month or only once in 3 months? I do not see new people awarded in November on MCC site.

My blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Good luck, Leonardo!

My blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:14 AM
  • BTW, I am wondering - will this award be given every month or only once in 3 months? I do not see new people awarded in November on MCC site.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

The Award is now quarterly base and awardee's are announced at the beginning of next quarter. So the next list of Awardee's will come in January 2013.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Do you have a link confirming this? Also, do you know why many deserving people didn't get the award this cycle?

My blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012 3:46 AM
  • UPDATE: Naomi, I submitted your feedback of their poor responses to their team. That's all we can do, because the MCC program is out of scope in these forums.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:33 AM
    Owner
  • Which forum this program is in the scope for discussion and when Albert will return with a promised answer?

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi Naomi !

MCC Program is not related to Forums although program is based on the online contributions which we made through MSDN / TechNet / Expressions Forums, Wiki Articles, Gallery Content and other online contributions.

It's very difficult to manage it here. MCC has a separate team and members with different set of rules. Right now only available way to communicate something with them is to email them at "mccga@microsoft.com" or we have to wait for Albert to follow up with them for our queries.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hasham,

May be it's time to open a separate forum here in MSDN for MCC related questions? That e-mail is not functioning well and also many people have similar questions/problems and it's better to be able to discuss them in a forum, what do you think?

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hasham,

May be it's time to open a separate forum here in MSDN for MCC related questions? That e-mail is not functioning well and also many people have similar questions/problems and it's better to be able to discuss them in a forum, what do you think?

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Nice suggestion, but again out of scope of this Forum. But we can work on this suggestion with Albert & Ed and see if this is really applicable.

To my surprise Albert is not that active here like Ed or Brent used to be previously. Also i don't have his email right now, so the only way i can communicate to him is through this forum or through Ed.

A Forum for MVP related question would be another suggestion. Although i like the program where they met MVP every Friday and share their success story with the community through online blog.

I would suggest you to post these 2 suggestions or one suggestion for new Forum creation regrading these type of question. And involvement of MVP Program members and MCC Pragram members must be guaranteed otherwise it will turn out to be no gain. Cause people from community have to answer and we can't always provide accurate answers whats going on behind with the program as we are not involved in any step.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hasham,

Can you please add this suggestion on my behalf? I seem to be having lots of issues with the forums today as well as I have lots of work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hasham,

Can you please add this suggestion on my behalf? I seem to be having lots of issues with the forums today as well as I have lots of work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Okay new request created on " Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums"and "Micorsoft Community Ninja".

Reference Threads : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/7ccfd2dd-ce95-4a56-af3c-327c8fe6f0f4

and http://communityninjas.uservoice.com/forums/155543-general-site-feedback/suggestions/3416229-add-new-forum-mcc-mvp-program-related-questions

Now, please start voting for this if you really want to get Answers related to MCC & MVP Program.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

<header class="uvContainer uvMasthead ">
    </header>

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:13 PM
  • BTW, for your second link - on the right hand side the word 'category' is misspelled in all tooltips.

I've sent an e-mail to fissues about this little problem.

My blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:30 AM
  • I never got the answer from Albert on my original question despite the fact he promised to provide it. Can you please remind him of the promise?

My blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:36 PM
  • In fissues they replied that this is not managed by their team. So, I don't know who can fix that typo.

UPDATE. I re-checked today and the typo seems to be now fixed.

My blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:37 PM
  • I don't know if anyone new was recognized. I do not see any new MCC badges appearing. I received another e-mail confirming my contributions. I guess everyone automatically got renewed, but I don't know if anyone was awarded in this cycle who didn't get the award earlier.

My blog

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:33 AM
  • I don't know if anyone new was recognized. I do not see any new MCC badges appearing. I received another e-mail confirming my contributions. I guess everyone automatically got renewed, but I don't know if anyone was awarded in this cycle who didn't get the award earlier.

My blog

HI Naomi !

I am able to see new MCC Awards for Janyary 2013;

https://www.microsoftcommunitycontributor.com/current-recipients.aspx

I haven't got any email confirming my contributions for last quarter. But i am able to see new users which are awarded in this new cycle.

Also, regarding new Forum creation for MCC / MVP related issues i haven't heard anything from Albert or the team.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:41 PM
  • I wish they will allow name search in that list. I do not see my name now although I got the e-mail recently. Does it mean I have to add my name again every time - I think I saw I only needed to add it once? 

I wanted to verify if wBob got his award and I see his name in the list, but I do not see MCC near his name. So, perhaps the same story as in October when new awardees get their letters month later.

UPDATE. Looks like I have to do this every time again. I did, but why not re-use the information if once submitted?

My blog

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Did you check your SPAM folder? I am guessing that the letters would have disappeared if you were not renewed? Although with this program we can expect anything.

My blog

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:16 PM
  • BTW, can you read this text under the Vote button?

My blog

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:59 PM
  • BTW, can you read this text under the Vote button?

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Yeah its sounds something Arabic. This is what i got from "Arabic" something pretty close to the written text "تم التصويبات بالفعل" which means "Corrections already" using Google Translate.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:14 AM
  • I never got an answer from you on that question and I still see many such users with MCC status. What did you mean by 'Stay tuned' in your response? Stay tuned for life?

My blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:07 PM
  • I think Albert is actually working on something else now.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:36 AM
    Owner
  • Do you mean he is no longer with that program? BTW, after the most recent update I do no longer see MSFT people with MCC, so looks like the problem got resolved.

My blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:20 PM