Modify Photos on Homeserver website RRS feed

• Question

• How do you modify the landing page photos etc in your homeserver website. I managed to find them and copied them to a share and then modified in my main pc by overlaying an image exactly over the top and then resaving them with the same same name and format and replaced them on the server. But that did not work and now I have no photos at all, so I put the originals back and still no photos, so what have I done wrong.

Colin

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:47 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help and I have installed it and I can see how it would work, but unfortunately it does not work as I cannot get back to the original photos first. Despite copying back the originals to thieir original locations they will not display, I just get an faint outline where they should be.

I need to know how I can restore the original default layout first, before trying Whiist again.

Thanks anyway

Colin

Edit: I have just found the solution from "Home Server Hacks" which is:

I had the same issue. It's very picky how you replace the image into the inetpub\image directory. First copy the original image into a new folder for safe keeping for backup. Then make sure all parameters (756 x 316, file name) are correct on your new image. Now delete the default image from the image directory. Copy and paste your new image into the directory. Simply replacing your old image with new image by dragging and dropping into the direcory does not work. You have to delete the original file first from the directory.

So the simple answer was to delete the original one first before copying the new one.

I will now try Whiist to see if that makes life a little easier.

• Proposed as answer by lindaandjon Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by wecpcs Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:42 PM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:09 PM

All replies

• I believe this add-in will do it for you:

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist

Mitch

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Thanks for your help and I have installed it and I can see how it would work, but unfortunately it does not work as I cannot get back to the original photos first. Despite copying back the originals to thieir original locations they will not display, I just get an faint outline where they should be.

I need to know how I can restore the original default layout first, before trying Whiist again.

Thanks anyway

Colin

Edit: I have just found the solution from "Home Server Hacks" which is:

I had the same issue. It's very picky how you replace the image into the inetpub\image directory. First copy the original image into a new folder for safe keeping for backup. Then make sure all parameters (756 x 316, file name) are correct on your new image. Now delete the default image from the image directory. Copy and paste your new image into the directory. Simply replacing your old image with new image by dragging and dropping into the direcory does not work. You have to delete the original file first from the directory.

So the simple answer was to delete the original one first before copying the new one.

I will now try Whiist to see if that makes life a little easier.

• Proposed as answer by lindaandjon Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by wecpcs Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:42 PM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:09 PM