Acer Aspire easyStore H340 32-bit server problems 1. file name length 2. WiDMS 3. Mcafee Total protection can't install 4. add-ins not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have repeatedly encountered problems as described in another thread I started:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/48abd839-824e-4269-bd26-0fb588c411a0

I am beginning to suspect these are the root problems: 1) File name length 2) WiDMS service installed by Acer 3) McAfee cannot install  4. add-in folder not working.

Can anyone suggest how to resolve the following:

1) What is the max character length for files names for files placed on the server?

2) I am currently accessing the SYS disk using a separate hard drive enclosure due to system crash encountered - How can I disable this product - I have no access currently to the WHS Console. What is a suggested replacement product?

3 & 4) McAfee Total Protection will not install/re-install - msi file downloaded from McAfee cannot be seen by the add-in folder, in fact nothing can be seen by the add-in folder. Can the trial copy of McAfee be uninstalled? How?

Thanks

Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:31 PM

All replies

• That other thread suggests a number of concurrent issues; have you considered a server recovery, following the instructions in the manuals provided by Acer? That should straighten out most/all of your problems, with no data loss.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi Ken

I have already recovered the data to the pc's and if there is an underlying problem with the file name length then the problem will surely recur if I do not clear the disks by doing a factory re-set. I will then need to get the other pc users to review all their files to reduce the length of the file name to a predetermined max number - which I think is 255 characters under NTFS (can't be more than a few files like this - but some were flagged when I was recovering data yesterday.). The other potential problem I may have identified is that various files are using either asian romanji characters which may not be recognised or Kanji which I suspect the server symbols index may not recognise and default back to windows to locate - even though XP/W7 happily handle with no problems. Perhaps this was why Dr. Watson was reported attempting to repair in the log files and the orphaned files were finally sorted by CHKDSK yesterday.

Regarding the WiDMS matter, when I was retrieving the data over the past couple of days I encounteread a large number of greyed duplicate images and also when the server was actually running the CPU was up to 97%+ usage for long periods every hour which I suspect was something to do with the indexing and thumbnail creation. I found this forum which seems to mirror my situation 

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=109&threadid=2003218&pagenumber=1&product_id=37196&subpage=1

"there is a service "WIDMS" (C:Program FilesWistronWIDMS) that is taking up 50% CPU usage all the time! I figured out that this was the "Digital Media Server" for DLNA devices. It is possible that it is trying to update  the database with the folders it is monitoring" "it's the media server and it's probably trying to generate thumbnails from your videos (using the first frame which is black...). You can and should disable it in WHS Settings or disable the service manualy. Then install a real media server like TwonkyMedia..." also " I turned the Digital Media Server off in the Home Server Console and installed the free TVersity..."  

hence my question regarding ho to correctly disable WiDMS and install a new service

The reason why the add-ins folder has never worked is a complete mystery. Could this be a problem with the base WHS software pre- installed by Acer?

The McAfee trial version for Total Protection is installed at the factory setting level so when you do a complete restore there is a confilct between the trial version still pre-installed and the live version downloaded again from the Mcafee website. You cannot keep re-registering the trial period software with McAfee but you also can't re-install the download unless the trial version can be fully uninstalled......therefore how to correctly uninstall McAfee Trial version? 

Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hi

Let me further separate the issues for sake of clarity:

A) WHS

1) Is the WHS software designed to correctly recognise asian romanji characters and Kanji on file names transferred from computers using XP/W7 which both correctly recognise. I want to ensure there is no confilct being created when files are transferred to the server from computers and syllable recognition problems are then adversely affecting /crashing the server.

2) Is the file name character length acceptable to WHS Software the standard NTFS 255 character maximum, or if not what is the WHS maximum character file name length.

B) ACER

The other matters of WiDMS and McAfee are primarily for Acer to answer however is there anyone currently experiencing similar difficutlies as I am and any thoughts on resolving?

Thanks  

Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:01 PM

• I am transferring the WHS questions over to a separate thread to avoid confusion.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/dd40a57e-589b-4099-911a-30a4ba18c8d0
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:48 PM