MS Money - whats my password! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I haven't used MS Money for a while but have decided to start using it again. But i can't remember my .NET password. Does anyone know how i can retrieve it? I have tried all the passwords it could be but it will not except them.

Help its driving me mad!!

Rachel

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:39 PM

Answers

• Yes, you have installed the correct version.  MS Money version 14.0.120.1105 is the UK version with the update.

A "sticky" is a post that stays in position near the top of the forum listings.  It doesn't get "pushed down" by newer posts.  The people who manage the forum do this to keep important posts at the beginning of the forum so that they are easy to find.

A password is associated with a Money file, not the program itself.  So I think that your June 2008 file was saved without a password whereas the earlier files have a .NET password associated with them.  If you have not already done so, I would again disconnect from the internet and then use the newly installed program to try each of the passwords from your notebook on the March 2008 and October 2007 files.  If you are able to open the file, then you can go to File>Password Manager and remove your .Net password.

Bill Becker

Friday, January 23, 2015 5:29 PM

All replies

• If you can't remember your .NET password (now known as LiveID) you will not be able to open your existing Money file.  There are no known password recovery methods.  And it needs to be the password that was in effect when you last accessed the file.

If you do remember it, you need to remove it by disconnecting from the internet, starting Money and selecting "log in offline".  Then you can go to File>Password Manager and remove your .Net password.

If you are willing to loose your past data, you do have the option to create a new Money file with no password.  If you need help with that, post back with the version of Money that you are using and your computer's operating system.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Thanks Bill for your reply.

I have just tried disconnecting from the internet and accessing the database but its still asking for a .NET user and password. I am sure i was using the same details as my hotmail account. But still it will not open. 

It's looking more and more likely i will not be able to access my old database, which i very frustrating as i spent a lot of time on them. :( 

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Yes, you still need the password even if you are working offline.  Did you by any chance change your password since you last accessed the file?  Money would expect the password that was in effect at that time.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi Bill

I keep a written note book with my passwords in it. It has all my old one's written down. I have been through all of them including various versions of them. Still no luck.

It's such a pain that Microsoft can't help me

Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Some thing that might help diagnose this:

When you tried to log in offline, are you sure that you disconnected from the internet?  You would do this by unplugging your wired connection or by disabling your wireless connection.

What version of Money?

How long since you successfully opened your Money file?

Did you re-install Money in that interval?

What version of windows are you using?

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:44 PM
  • I am connected via wifi. I double checked this morning and tried to get into my database without connected to the internet and it still would not let me sign in.

I am using MS Money Version 14.0.120.730

It been a long time since i have been able to open successfully. I started to use it in 2007/8. I am able to open a 2008 copy but there is no data in it. I was hoping to restore the 2007 data but thats when i get into trouble as it wants a .NET user and password.

Originally  MS Money was installed by disk onto an old and dead laptop. I have reinstalled the from the same disk onto my Mac i use parallels for Microsoft applications.

I am using using Windows 7 professional.

I can't remember the last time i was able to open it but it was a long time ago. 

I have moved over to another financial software (MoneyDance) and was hoping to back fill past information from MS Money as there is years worth of information on it.

Alternatively is there a way of bypassing security and converting the information into OFC, OFX, QIF, QFX document????

Friday, January 23, 2015 11:00 AM
  • There is hope!  I did no realize that you are in the UK!  The version of Money that is on your disk needs an online update to work properly and the online server is gone.  But you can download a UK version of Money that contains the update.  See the second "sticky" in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Uninstall your current version of Money and then download and install the UK version from the link in that post.  You will still have to disconnect from the internet to remove the .NET password.

Once you have successfully opened you file you can export account data in qif format.  Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Friday, January 23, 2015 7:28 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 1:52 PM
  • OK, i have uninstalled MS Money and reinstalled MS Money version 14.0.120.1105. I am able to open June 2008 (which i have always be able to so as it's not requesting a .NET user and password but a MS Money P/W. However i am still not able to open March 2008 or Oct 2007 as these request a .NET password. After i reinstalled MS Money and disconnect from the internet. I opened the database i can access (june 2008) then file/password manager it didnt allow me to remove the .NET only but to change my MS money password or switch to MS passport. However if i try and open March 2008 or Oct 2007 its still requesting a .NET password. Just checking (i am not very competent in techie talk) the second 'sticky' (i am not sure what sticky is) was this?: Money 2005 UK - QFE2 Self-contained UK Money 2005 file including all available patches. Replaces all MS Money UK 2005 installation discs. Usually solves "Money cannot locate the file because it's a read only file or you do not have permission to change it" error message.
    Friday, January 23, 2015 5:09 PM
  • Yes, you have installed the correct version.  MS Money version 14.0.120.1105 is the UK version with the update.

A "sticky" is a post that stays in position near the top of the forum listings.  It doesn't get "pushed down" by newer posts.  The people who manage the forum do this to keep important posts at the beginning of the forum so that they are easy to find.

A password is associated with a Money file, not the program itself.  So I think that your June 2008 file was saved without a password whereas the earlier files have a .NET password associated with them.  If you have not already done so, I would again disconnect from the internet and then use the newly installed program to try each of the passwords from your notebook on the March 2008 and October 2007 files.  If you are able to open the file, then you can go to File>Password Manager and remove your .Net password.

Bill Becker

Friday, January 23, 2015 5:29 PM
  • OMG its worked!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i love you x

I have removed the .NET password and now using a MS Money P/W - which is written down.

Thank you so much you have been very patient. I am now off to figure out how to transfer it into Moneydance.  

Friday, January 23, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Bill, you seem very knowledgeable with the Microsoft Money programs. I am in need of some help and wondered if you would mind? I have a Windows 8.1 OS and we had been using Money 2007 until we somehow forgot our password. We tried changing our Windows Live passwords several times, but Money still didn't recognize it. Today I gave up and uninstalled the program. I installed the Money Plus Sunset Deluxe version immediately after uninstalling the 2007 version but the same login screen appears as before! It still wants the Windows Live password!!  

We should have a fairly recent backup of our data on an external hard drive. Do you have any idea how to bypass the Windows Live screen that continues to appear in the new version? Will the data on our hard drive transfer to the new program if we can access it??

Thank you for your help!

Janet
    • Edited by youngthing56 Monday, September 14, 2015 8:43 PM name
    Monday, September 14, 2015 8:43 PM
  • In order to open your Money file you need the password that was in effect the last time that you successfully opened the file.  Changing your Windows Live password is invisible to your Money program because it no longer communicates with the Microsoft servers.

Since your Money file is password-protected, you will need to remember that password in order to open it with either Money 2007 or Money Plus Sunset Deluxe.

If you do remember that password, you can then remove it so that this doesn't happen in the future.  The steps are:

- disconnect from the internet - disable wireless or pull the plug on your wired connection

- open your Money file and select "I want to work offline"

- got to File> Password Manager and remove your Live ID password

As for remembering your password, Cal Learner's advice is relevant.  Try all the password that you might have used.  Search through your old notes.  Keep a paper and pencil by your bed so that you can write it down if you wake up in the middle of the night and suddenly remember it.

Bill Becker

Monday, September 14, 2015 10:19 PM
  • Hello.  I have a similar problem regarding the password issue - happy to post separately if required; I've trawled through other threads and this seems to be the most apt.

I recently "upgraded" to M2005 UK QFE2 as, for some reason, MS Money 2000 would not open (I was away from my installation CD - which I have never had to use since installation - and needed access; if only I had known the hassles this would make!).  After doing my work, I decided to return to M2000 as I didn't like M2005; after some installation snags (ThunderRT6FormDC issue) I managed to get M2000 running again.  Even though M2005 made some .MN8 files, I still have my Money files .mny and .mbf files.  However, when I open them in M2000, I am asked for a password - I have never used a password with Money - it always opened straight in to the programme.  I have tried the "go offline" tips mentioned earlier in this thread but the .MN8 files have no password set either; Exporting this only seems to do one account, so I cannot get beyond the password request in M2000.  Am I stuck to M2005 now? 

Don't bust a gut on this but I would be grateful for any help to go back to 2000 and circumvent the password request.  I am using the same setup which I have since 2011: Windows 7(64bit), M2000 v8.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Money 2000 will not open a file saved by Money 2005.  It gives the very unhelpful password error message.

The .MN8 file was created by Money 2005 so that you could go back to Money 2000 if you wanted to do that.  Money 2000 should be able to open it.  Unfortunately, any transactions that you have entered with Money 2005 since it created the .MN8 file will not be there.

You can do a qif export from Money 2005 and import to Money 2000.  It's a bit complicated and you will loose some data.  Post back if you want to try that.

Your best bet may be to stay with Money 2005.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Hi Bill.  Thanks for the reply.  I never thought of trying the .MN8 file on 2000 seeing as it was created by 2005, so thinking that the .MN8 was purely for that!  Anyhow, as you would expect, it worked and with no password requests.  Many thanks.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:49 PM