none
Moderator Behavior

Question

• Hey There,

I notices that some of the moderators try to "farm" answers or something like that. It's not very useful to immediately mark a "reply" as answer. Please, leave that to the asking person!

Here is an example thread I'm following:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5926ba94-41ba-4a8f-b8ea-b2b0c5808bb4/no-clang-in-visual-studio-2015-rc?forum=vcgeneral

Sorry Shu Hu, but your post is a good example.

I've no problem with posting links to documentations, even if the described content was already suggested a few posts above. Having a link to the "official" description is of use to many people. But this is definitely no answer to the question.

You should really keep the standards up!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From what I can see, the moderator in your linked thread has proposed the post as an answer, not actually marked one (yet).

The moderation guidelines suggest proposing an answer and then waiting 7ish days before marking it as an answer. This gives the OP ample time to either mark the post as an answer or unpropose it. You'd be surprised at the amount of time an OP gets an answer in a thread and does not actually mark an answer.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:50 PM
  • I was under the impression that the guidelines also said that proposing your own post as an answer should...

1) be avoided if possible (i.e. where there are other moderators available to do it)

2) wait 24hours to allow a response from the OP.

I intensely dislike seeing responses self-proposed immediately after posting - I consider is disrespectful not only of the OP, but also of any other (existing or potential) thread participants.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:06 AM