Backing up files RRS feed

• Question

•  My computer keeps asking that I "back up" files on a CD/DVD? I don't understand why. Would it work if I just removed some software that duplicates the other? Could there be software on my computer I don't need? I know that's three questions, but I need to learn and get some feedback. Thank you very much. Why

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hello, Mercedes.

I've moved your post to the Backup topic folder.

I assume that you are using Windows Live OneCare and it is now in yellow status advising you to configure backup. Using the backup feature to protect your data in the event of a problem that causes the original data to be lost is optional. You can go to the option in OneCare - Change Settings, Backup tab - and configure OneCare to not backup by removing the check mark to "turn on backup on this PC" and you will go back to green.

Not doing a backup, though, means that if you have a hardware problem or if something corrupts your data files, they cannot be recovered. OneCare can backup new and changed documents, pictures, music, mail, and other data files (not programs) that are on the computer. Backup means that the files are copied by OneCare to another medium - the default being a recordable CD or DVD. You can set the schedule for the frequency of backup, too, so it can happen with Tune-up or more often. And, you can backup to an external USB hard drive, if desired. If your PC dies, for example, and you get a new PC, you can use OneCare's restore function to restore the files from the backups.

The first question and answer should cover your additional questions, but the answers to those are that no, removing software from your PC will not change your status and has nothing to do with the Backup feature of OneCare. And, yes, there could certainly be software on your PC that you don't need, but that also has nothing to do with Backup.

-steve

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:03 PM