Can you syncronise with a new PC without having to re-download an entire folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have been using Live Mesh for a while now, with 2 PCs both running Windows 7 Beta/RC and Windows XP. Now that the RC has expired, I need to install a retail copy of Windows 7. I am taking this opportunity to also re-install XP to get a clean slate.

I have a rather large folder I synchronise with Live mesh, and seeing as I need to re-syncronise with effectively 2 new PCs, I was wondering whether it is possible to by-pass downloading the entire folder by simply copying the files from PC to PC (or OS to OS) via a USB drive or over the network. I have a limited quota for my internet connection each month before it gets slowed to a crawl, so avoiding downloading 1Gb of data 2 times would be nice.

I have tried this myself, but for some reason the 'date modified' attribute for each file is being changed, so I end up getting thousands of conflicts.

First of all: Can this be done? Does WLM have a 'checksum' system or similar function that allows it to just check the file and say 'OK this file is correct, no need to download the entire thing again'

Second of all: if it does work, how can I avoid the 'date modified' problem? Would using SyncToy work? maybe a direct network copy initiated from the computer with the files?

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:19 AM

Answers

• You can manually copy the folders/files to both PCs from a backup and then add the new machines to the Mesh. When you add them to the Mesh, the folders that are already in your Mesh will be offered to the new PCs on the PC desktops. Click each offered folder and browse to the existing folder on that PC where you wish to Merge the data to. Accept the dialog about potential conflicts. It will still crunch through the data, but the entire folder will not need to be re-downloaded. It will upload/download the hash data to catalog the contents of the Mesh folder on each PC and the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:31 PM

All replies

• You can manually copy the folders/files to both PCs from a backup and then add the new machines to the Mesh. When you add them to the Mesh, the folders that are already in your Mesh will be offered to the new PCs on the PC desktops. Click each offered folder and browse to the existing folder on that PC where you wish to Merge the data to. Accept the dialog about potential conflicts. It will still crunch through the data, but the entire folder will not need to be re-downloaded. It will upload/download the hash data to catalog the contents of the Mesh folder on each PC and the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Using SyncToy is a good option, by the way, to manually insure that the data is in Sync before the merge.
    -steve
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Ah excellent, this worked a treat. It turned out using SyncToy got rid of the 'Date Changed' problem

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:14 AM
  • You're welcome - it was your idea. :-)
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:40 PM