Product Key & Reformating RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have had my PC for a few years now...and I had to reformat it quite a few times due to my computer crashing...or locking up and having problems.  It now seems I have "exceeded" the limit of uses for my Windows XP product code, how do I go about "re-using" the code without having to purchase a brand new copy of Windows XP?
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:08 PM

Answers

• MasterD1085,

You'll have to call in to re-activate that product key. You can reach activations at: : Toll free number: 888-571-2048  Toll number: 716-871-2929

Keep trying if you don't get through the first time.

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:54 PM
  • Franco,

When it comes time to activate, and you choose telephone activation, the Activation Wizard is supposed to present you with (where supported by the local phone system) local-to-you toll free numbers that will take you to an Activation Center that supports the language of the XP installed on the computer.

Is this not happening in your situation?

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:03 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2006 1:42 PM

All replies

• MasterD1085,

You'll have to call in to re-activate that product key. You can reach activations at: : Toll free number: 888-571-2048  Toll number: 716-871-2929

Keep trying if you don't get through the first time.

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:54 PM
  • Christmas 1995 I received my first windows based computer. After getting to grips with my new operating system and using it for some time, it had got slow and as I found out, needed to format the drive. After which I formatted and reinstalled windows at about two monthly intervals. I did this with no trouble and upgraded to 98. I still formatted and reinstalled to keep my PC running happily. In July 2005 I upgraded to XP and continued as before, but now I have to activate each time. No big deal I managed it OK. Then after about five times, I got a message asking me to buy a new ID or type in nine groups of six digits or phone Microsoft. I wondered what this was all about, I got a genuine copy of Windows, registered it with Microsoft, able to download Windows Defender as it passed the WGA program. I decided to phone, it was an auto activation service, I was asked to key in, on the phone, the groups of numbers on the screen. Having poor eyesight, trying to follow the numbers on the screen with a magnifier, keying them on the phone and holding the hand set, I made a hash of it. This auto service transferred me to a human. I explained my problem. Then I was interrogated, asked if it was a genuine copy of Windows, was I trying to put it on someone else's computer. Then about my computer. I said that this is going to happen every two months as I reformat my drive. Also told her about my eyesight. She then gave me seven groups of six digits three digits at a time to write down so I can put them in at my own pace. I did that and got windows up and running again
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 8:15 PM
  • Hi.

I have the same problem as described above. Reinstalled original XP several times, and after last installation activation is blocked because I have exceeded validation times....

I live in Italy and can't call toll free to the US.

Is there another way to install my original copy of XP again?

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:32 AM
  • Franco,

When it comes time to activate, and you choose telephone activation, the Activation Wizard is supposed to present you with (where supported by the local phone system) local-to-you toll free numbers that will take you to an Activation Center that supports the language of the XP installed on the computer.

Is this not happening in your situation?

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:03 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2006 1:42 PM