windowslive onecare unresponsive RRS feed

• Question

• onecare is not starting and is unresponsive. i tried to end and start it from command prompt but when i click run as admin, it freezes, i tried unintalling onecare from programs but to na avail. i realise i cannot go to pages like facebook or hotmail either although i can browse the internet, i downloaded windows live essentials beta and linked my facebook to windows live 2 days ago. please help.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:03 PM

Answers

• I'm about to update the sticky post with what appears below. I received this from Microsoft and have been informed that the problem is resolved by Support using these instructions.

I will leave this thread open through tomorrow before locking it.

The instructions below will allow you to continue to use OneCare after the fix *and* not worry about the date. The problem is not related to .Net Framework 4.0. I'm not sure that I understand the problem completely, but you now have a few options. Follow the steps below if you wish to use OneCare through your subscription's end, use the steps above and in the sticky to remove OneCare and install MSE or another security solution, or contact Support for help with the steps below.

_________________________SOLUTION________________________

Step 1:Boot into Safe Mode

=================

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.

Step 2: Change System Date to 7/7/2010

============================

1. Click Start, type "TIMEDATE.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box and then press Enter

2. Change the System Date to 7/7/2010

Step 3: return the system back to Normal Mode

==============================

Please simply restart the computer, to return the system back to Normal Mode.

Step 4: Manually delete the OneCare certificate

=============================

1. Click "Start" -> Type "MMC" under "start search" and press "enter"

2. Click "Continue" if User Account Control pops up

3. Click "File” -> Go to "Add/Remove Snap-in"

4. Click "Certificate" -> Click "Add"

5. Choose "Service account" and click "Next"

6. Choose "Local computer", click "Next"

7. Choose "Windows Live OneCare", and click "Finish", then click "OK".

8. Under "Name", double-click "Certificates - Service (Windows Live OneCare) on Local Computer"

9. Double-click the first (top) folder (winss\Personal), and then double-click "Certificates"

10. Right-click on the certificate shown in the window, select "Delete", and click "Yes"

Step 5: Readjust System Date to correct date

Please readjust System Date to the current time, and then restart the computer again to see if the issue is resolved.

Note: If the issue is resolved, please do not forget to re-activate OneCare again to ensure your computer is under protection.

If the steps above do not work, delete 1 additional certificate as follows:

1.       Open Start-> Run->mmc

2.       Add Certificates ->Computer Account

3.       Open Personal->Certificates remove all expired certs were issued by “Client Issuing CA”

* If there is only expired cert remove all

4.       Reboot

There are a few solutions here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d that will allow you to remove OneCare and proceed to install a different security solution such as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Finally, if you are unable to resolve the problem yourself, you can open a support case:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• I'm having a similar problem.  As well, it seems to be interupting processes and services on my machine. My wireless network isn't working, I can't even open my Network options to scan and connect manually.  I'm currently wired to my modem to get on the internet.

My machine won't allow me to uninstall or install anything.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:17 PM
  • These problems may be malware related. I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:13 PM
  • I have got the same problem to, i havnt been on any different websites.  A error message comes up saying that onecare cannot start and i am locked out of every other program except for 64 bit internet explorer.  Please help

Seems strange that its happening to a few people now

Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I am also having the same problems for both my PC and my laptop!

Both have Microsoft oncecare and it is unresponsive on both...can't uninstall or even open it.

I am locked out of nearly everything except the internet...hence this post.

Is this something Microsoft need to fix their end as it's happening to more than one person and in my case more than one machine?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Yeah i cant figure out how to get onecare of my system, i literally cant get into anything
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:35 AM
  • I have read all previous posts regarding problems trying to uninstall this program and tried everything but it would appear that the failure of one care to start correctly is effectively blocking me from taking any useful action. Tried cleanup tool but after right clicking to run as administrator nothing happens. I cannot uninstall via control panel. I have no internat access and am having to copy tools onto a memory stick to get them onto problem computer. Am running Vista Home Premium. Have deleted problem computer from one care circle. What next? Safe mode doesn't help. Computer works OK with internet access but not allowed to use any one care tools. Tried running msconfig but computer totally ignored me. This is a tricky one. Any more ideas? 
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:52 AM
  •  

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Check the PC date and time - 

Right click the clock in the system tray. Select Adjust Date and Time.

Verify and correct the month, day, year, hour, minutes and time zone.

Reboot if you changed any of the above.

That's the most likely cause of that error.

In IE, go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN and make sure that nothing is checked.

Also in IE, go to Tools and make sure that Work Offline has not been selected.

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

Uninstall OneCare http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/732e6371-2e71-479a-8cd6-b189941ed4fb, use the cleanup tool:  http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/, and then download and install the free Microsoft Security essentials for malware protection - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/resources.aspx 

If you used OneCare for backups, you'll still be able to restore from old backups if you use the OneCare Restore tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57, but you'll need to seek an alternative backup solution.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, July 12, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Also, if this isn't a date/time issue, but malware releated as Jim speculated,

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:35 PM
  • KofiKofi - What happens if you uninstall the Windows Live Essentials Beta?  Sounds like you recently installed that.

Thanks,

BillFill [MSFT}

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Those who have just encountered this issue:

If you have confirmed that the PC date and time is correct, please check if you have recently installed .Net Framework 4 for any reason. It may have been installed with another program.

You may need to start the PC in Safe Mode to access Control Panel - Add or Remove programs (XP) or Programs (Vista).

Look for .Net Framework 4 in the list of installed programs. Note that OneCare needs .Net Framework 2.0 to work. On Vista, .Net 3.0/3.5 provide the functionality of v2.

Select to remove .Net Framework 4.0 completely.

This blog post contains command line switches for removal/repair of .Net Framework for those who wish to dig further. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/12/10011664.aspx

Please let us know if removing .Net Framework 4.0 resolves the issue with OneCare.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:44 PM
  • I just realized i can't uninstall the live essentials either. Basically anything windows related is not responding.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Thanks Stephen for the links you provided, I have emailed support and am now waiting for them to get back to me.

It's so frustrating as both my PC and laptop are pretty much useless at the moment :(
    Monday, July 12, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Are you able to boot the PC in Safe Mode and access Control Panel in order to remove .Net Framework 4?

To start Windows in Safe Mode (http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml):

Windows Vista

Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
    Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option) 
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Windows XP

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on. 
    Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. 
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

To use the System Configuration Utility method

Close all open programs. 
    Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
    The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
    The computer restarts in Safe mode.
    Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
    When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab,  uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Thanks stephen, i tried to to remove it in safe mode but was unsuccessful. . It said the program cannot be removed because windows installer is not correctly installed.  do have that .net framework 4 in my programs.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 4:50 PM
  • I'm getting the same error - can't remove .net framework 4, can't start or remove OneCare in Safe Mode
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:11 PM
  • I too am have the same problem with most of the symptoms described in the other posts.  Tried uninstalling onecare but cannot uninstall it (or any other program as far as that goes).  Tried restoring the computer to its status of a month ago to no avail.  Wireless still works and for a while could connect to internet but can no longer connect to internet.  Can run programs (windows onenote, adobe acrobat reader, picassa) but cannot close them except via task manager.  Cannot run command prompt as administrator.  Has anyone found correcting the date and time fixes this problem?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:17 PM
  • I've got a few messages in to the OneCare team right now, but what I do know is that the problem seems to be 100% reproducible if you have OneCare installed on XP or Vista and you installed .Net Framework 4.0. Upon reboot, this problem apparently happens.

What I'm trying to get an answer for is how to remove .net Framework 4.0 when your PC is in this condition.

What should work if all else fails is to perform a System Restore to before .Net Framework 4.0 was installed.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi thanks for your input.  Will it damage the computer if I remove 'Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile' on uninstall or change a program ? I still have 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1' on the list !! Thanks
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:38 PM
  • what if you dont have .net 4.0 installed, and you can only go online from safe mode but not normal?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:39 PM
  • I'm not able to do a system restore either :(
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for getting on top of this, Stephen.

To tell you the truth, since I have everything backed-up, I'm having one of our work IT guys wipe and reinstall my OS.  Because, seriously, the kinds of possible fixes that you're talking about seem far more involved and complicated then they should be.

The fact that end-of-lifing of a product had this effect is disturbing, and it has really pushed me away from using any kind of MS security product in the future.

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:01 PM
  • I tried a system restore, but laptop remains in the same condition: Can't run any programs, but can open a browser.  Can't remove programs in safe mode (windows installer not installed).  Can't install any programs in safe mode or in regular mode. wireless no longer working
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:04 PM
  • i'm still having the same issues. no better in safe mode. can't uninstall .net 4.0. Is it safe to try a system restore or better to wait for another solution?

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:06 PM
  • hookadoo has the same problem has me.. only that i can use wireless in safemode.. if i recall correctly, i had problems with wondows live one care around this time last year!!
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:07 PM
  • I thought I was going nuts.  The same thing is happening to both of my Vista OS laptops which has One Care installed on it which just expired 3 days prior to these programs.  I am so frustrated!
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I'm having just the same problems as everyone else.  My computer freezes up if I try to open control panel, system restore or anything that I can do for myself to attempt to uninstal anything.  I have a laptop and PC that are pretty much unusable at the moment.  I've tried to report to microsoft through the Onecare support system - it gives me a file to download but that goes unresponsive as well so that is useless.  I do have a support number - I can supply to the MVP person but basically I'm not at all happy.  I can use the internet but that's about all.

Also the start menu becomes unresponsive as well.  Only way to close programs is to use Task manager - complete mess!

I don't have framework 4 installed, mine is 3.5 sp1. I am using vista.

I've not attempted to do any fixes as basically I'm unable to and annoyed that a system I paid for to look after my computer has given me so far about 2 hours unnesseary work.  Soltuion please.

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:18 PM
  • here here RedLorakeet has summed this mess up in a nutshell - desperately seeking a solution and quick - losing the will to live!
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:26 PM
  • yup he has, happy am not alone in this though.. and hope solution is coming soon, cos using safe mode is not really cool
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hi thanks for your input.  Will it damage the computer if I remove 'Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile' on uninstall or change a program ? I still have 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1' on the list !! Thanks

If you installed something that requires .Net Framework 4, that program will then fail to work.

.Net Framework can exist as multiple versions on a PC and programs use the version that they need in order to function.

Once you successfully remove .net 4.0, you should then be able to remove OneCare and switch to another security product, such as the free Microsoft Security Essentials - 

Uninstall OneCare http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/732e6371-2e71-479a-8cd6-b189941ed4fb, use the cleanup tool:  http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/, and then download and install the free Microsoft Security essentials for malware protection - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/resources.aspx 

If you used OneCare for backups, you'll still be able to restore from old backups if you use the OneCare Restore tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57, but you'll need to seek an alternative backup solution.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:43 PM
  • what if you dont have .net 4.0 installed, and you can only go online from safe mode but not normal?

I don't know the answer to this as the early answer from the OneCare team was that they were able to reproduce the issue with an install of .Net Framework 4.0 on a machine with OneCare. On reboot, the problem appeared exactly as everyone here is reporting.

If you don't have 4.0, then the common reasons for OneCare not responding are:

1. incorrect date and time

2. Broken .Net Framework 2.0 (or 3.0/3.5/3.5 SP1)

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:45 PM
  • I'm not able to do a system restore either :(

Is that because it can't be accessed or are you encountering an error when trying to do a System Restore?

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for getting on top of this, Stephen.

To tell you the truth, since I have everything backed-up, I'm having one of our work IT guys wipe and reinstall my OS.  Because, seriously, the kinds of possible fixes that you're talking about seem far more involved and complicated then they should be.

The fact that end-of-lifing of a product had this effect is disturbing, and it has really pushed me away from using any kind of MS security product in the future.

It has nothing to do with End of Life, Melissa, but it is certainly unfortunate. I'm hopeful that the root cause can be identified quickly.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I tried a system restore, but laptop remains in the same condition: Can't run any programs, but can open a browser.  Can't remove programs in safe mode (windows installer not installed).  Can't install any programs in safe mode or in regular mode. wireless no longer working

Did you perform a System Restore to before .Net Framework 4.0 was installed?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I have already tried these solutions (from previous threads) the cleanup tool doesn't work for me. is it possilble to use onecare restore tool if onecare won't start?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:49 PM
  • i'm still having the same issues. no better in safe mode. can't uninstall .net 4.0. Is it safe to try a system restore or better to wait for another solution?

It should be safe to do a System Restore. Note that any programs installed after the Restore Point you select will then need to be reinstalled.

And, if any of them require .Net Framework 4.0 to function, they will cause the same issue on a reinstall.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:50 PM
  • here here RedLorakeet has summed this mess up in a nutshell - desperately seeking a solution and quick - losing the will to live!

I'm sorry for this very frustrating problem. I will be away from the PC for a few hours, so won't be able to update, but my contacts at Microsoft will likely provide an update here directly once they get a handle on the problem.

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:51 PM
  • but my date and time is correct.. 

if the .net framework is broken, how do u fix it?

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:52 PM
  • I have already tried these solutions (from previous threads) the cleanup tool doesn't work for me. is it possilble to use onecare restore tool if onecare won't start?

The OneCare restore tool is for restoring data backups on a PC without OneCare, so that's not an option. Not being able to remove OneCare or repair/remove/reinstall .Net Framework is the basic issue here.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:58 PM
  • but my date and time is correct.. 

if the .net framework is broken, how do u fix it?

The following *does not* apply to .Net Framework 4.0, which is believed to be the cause of the issue.

It does apply to all other versions of .Net Framework, which can co-exist on the PC. On XP, .Net Framework 2.0 is required for OneCare to work. On Vista, at least .Net Framework 3.0 is required.

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 on XP:

Open Control Panel

Select Add or Remove Programs

Locate Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

Select the entry and when the installer launches, select Repair.

Reboot when it completes.

Alternatively, see this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306160

To remove a corrupt .Net Framework install, use this tool:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

The download of .Net Framework 2.0 can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Vista, see this blog entry:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Note that after repairing or reinstalling .Net Framework, you will need to reapply the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 update via Windows Update.

If the above does not resolve the problem with OneCare, please contact support:

-steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:00 PM
  • I'm glad you are trying to fix this.

My date and time is fine

I've not installed framework 4

I've not installed anything odd

Only way to close anything is to use Task Manager.

Computer is now a disaster, only thing working at the moment is the internet - for how long I don't know

Computer won't allow me to restore to when it was working - it freezes up with the acivity circle turning endlesly

Start menu freezes up

Control menu freezes up

Support on Onecare does not work - file to download feeezes up

All was ok on Saturday and now isn't, - same faults duplicated on two computers - one a laptop, one a pc.

So much for a planned quiet evening with my feet up - ended up as tho as was at work problem solving.  A SOLution IS NEEDED QUICKLY.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:01 PM
  • The repair for .net 2.0 for vista link doesn't work i get

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:07 PM
  • it just hangs like most other programs
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:16 PM
  • sorted the link above, the final character "x" did not get carried through to the address bar???
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:17 PM
  • now i've got the link working this is no use as I can't run the Command Prompt as Administrator.

My PC just stops at this point 

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Thanks for Sticking with us Steve.

The problem I think we all are having is basically that we can't try out any of these fixes because nothing runs from control panel (install, uninstall, repair).   All I get is the endlessly spinning wheel of waiting.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:21 PM
  • try it on safemode
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:23 PM
  • sorted the link above, the final character "x" did not get carried through to the address bar???

Fixed the URL - thanks for pointing that out.

So, a right click run as administrator fails? is this in Safe Mode or regular mode?

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Thanks for Sticking with us Steve.

The problem I think we all are having is basically that we can't try out any of these fixes because nothing runs from control panel (install, uninstall, repair).   All I get is the endlessly spinning wheel of waiting.

I know that it isn't a big help, but my fingers will be crossed while I am away - hoping for good news when I return later this evening.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:26 PM
  • yes, it fails in regular mode.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Hi - just for piece of mind are there any other moderators looking into this problem????  Any ideas how long this will take?

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:49 PM
  • ugh, this is seriously annoying, that there are many people with this problem and no update nothing!!
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I have a similar problem but thought i would add some more of my symptoms. First this started Sunday afternoon July11th. I used my computer on July 10th late(midnight) and the only thing I remember as out of ordinary was that ONE CAre had asked for an urgent update to the virus file. I allowed that to install and One Care said it was OK. I used the computer to send a email without problems. I then powered down my Laptop. Sunday afternoon I powered up and ran into a message that said ONE CARE Service is not working or has stopped. Restarting my laptop did not help. The other noticable symptom was my wireless was not working. Opening control panel from the start menu gave me a white dialog box. Could not get any data trying to open Control panel. Read ONE CARE tips when ONE care will not start. Tried looking at services but it worked like control panel. Then I started reading this thread.

I started in safe mode, was able to open control panel,  and found that MS NET framework 4 client profile was installed on 6/23/2010. That is almost a week before my problem started. I use my laptop daily.  Adobe reader 9.3.3 was updated on 7/9/2010 - that's closer. After starting in safe mode I also looked at the ONE CARE servcies to see what is started.  They recommend looking at 4: all were set to auto and only one had started - The antispyware and antivirus one had started.  While onecare seems to be in the middle of this something is stopping all the services to start up properly.  I can now come up in safe mode with networking and I am able to connect to the internet but my problem is still there.

My next steps are to watch what happens with this thread. If there is a suggestion I would gladly try it.  My ONECARE runs my laptop and is the focal point for two other desktops. Both the other desktops are OK and never gave me a request to install a updated virus file.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:57 PM
  • The time frame for my problem is very similar .net 4.0 indicates it was installed 28 June. no problems until last night. but wasn't used over the weekend. It has also affected another pc on my onecare circle. i have a 3rd pc but haven't turned it on yet!

This thread seems to have stopped now and no further on with a solution. Help please

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Hi ssigd

Be assured you are not alone.  The moderator says he's coming back later - I'm hoping so.  My problems are just the same as yours apart that I don't have net 4.  My computer was fine on Saturday and only occurred tonight when I switched it on.

My onecare circle is kaput as well

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:10 PM
  • yea, we all have the same problems and are watching this thread, i only wished there was more than one moderator..
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I am also in exactly the same position as the previous posts with two vista laptops on the same onecare circle. Both machines were working fine on Friday and then neither worked when we tried using them on Sunday evening. Windows.NET Framework 4 Client Profile was installed on both laptops towards the end of June and both are running Windows .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

I have been using my machine in safe mode but cannot do everything in this mode so am desperate for a solution to this problem before I return to work tomorrow. Here's to hoping one will be there when I wake up in the morning.

James (UK)

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:41 PM
  • i have 3 dead laptops and are well p----d off
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:54 PM
  • sorry manutdfan.  safe mode isn't the answer for me (or some of the other folks who have been on this thread).  windows installer (which controls uninstall, install, repair) doesn't work in safe mode, so none of the recommended fixes can be attempted.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:58 PM
  • sorry manutdfan.  safe mode isn't the answer for me (or some of the other folks who have been on this thread).  windows installer (which controls uninstall, install, repair) doesn't work in safe mode, so none of the recommended fixes can be attempted.
    oo its not my answer too, the only thing is that i can get online with safe mode.. my One care is still dead... 
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:12 PM
  • seems everybodys One care went off the same time.. last night.. and it was working fine before that.. i wonder how long it will take Microsoft to fix this.... i hope i get compensation for my time.. atleast i can use safe mode.. how bout the thousand others that are like WTF..
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Yes, the problem started Sunday.  Saturday night the 10th the laptop worked perfectly and I shut it down for the evening. Sunday the 11th, upon starting up, a message appeared that Onecare was not working properly.  Tried to fix it...well that is when it became appearant that there was this problem we are all having.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:14 PM
  • I managed to remove OneCare using the cleanup tool Steve referred to earlier - had to be in Safe Mode. Rebooted and OneCare was gone butnothing else changed. I tried to remove .net 4 but nothing happened. Tried in Safe Mode and the uninstall failed.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Thanks for your patience. I am back for now but I have nothing new to add.

Reading through the recent posts, it does appear that it might be a combination of factors - having installed .Net Framework 4.0 may just be one of them. The new virus and firewall definitions may well be the second piece of the puzzle.

There are 3 moderators here (volunteers, not woring for Microsoft) and we're all well aware of the issue. I have communicated with representatives of the OneCare team, including Support management. I know that they are also anxious to see this resolved. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information. I've got a single XP machine with OneCare on it and I powered it up upon arriving at home. It does not have .Net Framework 4.0 on it and it is running fine at the moment. The one issue is that it recently expired, so it is not taking definition updates and is reported to be out of date.

I'll be back online very early tomorrow morning and expect to be online through the day, so I or someone will update this thread with any new information that we receive to assist you in getting this resolvec.

In the meantime, if you have not already contacted support, you may wish to consider doing that.

Also, anyone who has the problem described and has managed to resolve it, please do post your solution here for others to try.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:02 AM
  • thanks stephen.. i really do appreciate ur help
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:08 AM
  • ** Thanks to rushcomhouse and any others who gave the following a shot, but it has been reported to not make a difference. **

I have a long shot idea here. I cannot guarantee that this will work. If it does, please provide the following information in a reply:

1. operating system on the PC
    2. Do you have .Net Framework 4.0 on the PC?
    3. Could you run the tool in regular mode?
    4. Did you try running it in Safe Mode?

Try downloading and running the database reset tool. It requires admin rights, I believe. It will reset the definitions database and wipe all OneCare settings. If it works, it should allow you to reboot to remove .Net Framework 4.0 normally and/or to uninstall and remove OneCare.

The database reset tool can be found here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:09 AM
  • its one day now :(
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Tried the database reset tool as per Steve's suggestion above:

1. OS: Vista Home Premium SP2

2. No .NET Framework 4.0

3. Tool ran in admin account & seemed to do something according to the Vista sidebar meter

4. Haven't tried running in Safe Mode.

Did a reboot and after a while OneCare came up with that dialogue we're all getting... "Windows Live OneCare can't continue"

So it appears the database reset tool didn't work in Windows regular mode. Will give it a try in Safe Mode.

Thanks to Steve for his hard work in chasing down this problem and it's also been gratifying to see the helpful and respectful posts from others to this forum despite the problem we're all having. I've got 4 PCs and a laptop to get going when a solution is found!!!

-bernie

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Now trying the database reset tool (see Steve's post above for the link) in Safe Mode.

This time I'm asked for Continue, Confirm licence and Start - this didn't happen in Windows normal mode.

Fingers crossed...

The tool did something & the Close screen has come up.

Now we'll see if anything has changed (for the better)...

Rebooting back to normal Windows mode...

Starting Live OneCare off the All Programs menu... Na, get dialogue that Live OneCare can't continue.

And can't uninstall from Add/remove program: "Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed"

Oh, well... back to square one, as they say.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:22 AM
  • rushcomhouse-I was hoping you'd have good news ;(

Saturday night I was running fine on two laptops (my OneCare had expired on Wednesday so it wasn't even running at the time, I hadn't removed it yet), Sunday morning it was a mess.  I am now sitting at my work office doing computer work that I had hoped to be able to do at home. It's scary how one company's mistake could make your computer useless. 

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:38 AM
  • yea nancy, and how powerful the Windows One care is.. it goes off, and the whole computer goes off
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:02 AM
  •   I have three computers that run windows Onecare. The focal point is a SONY laptop and is a running Vista premium home edition. It is the one that is having issues. It has .Netframework 4 installed on 6/23 when the failure started on 7/11 - day after i updated the ONECARE virus file. The one thing that keeps bothering me is that Windows asked to have an urgent install of virus update. By that I mean the onecare shield turned red and asked to have the file updated. That doesn't happen very often but it did just before this problem.  On my other two desktops I am running XP and niether one has net framework 4 installed, they both have net framework 3.5,  and i have checked the settings and it looks like both XP Onecare systems updated the virus file on 7/12.  Both machines are running OK.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:22 AM
  • in safe mode (with networking) I was able to run OneCareCleanUp and it appears to have removed the "\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live" directories from the "\Program Files (x86)" directory but left the folder in the "\Program Files" directory. I rebooted and have the same problem though.

How do you stop the WinDefend service from starting? That's what seems to be causing the problem.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Now we'll see if anything has changed (for the better)...

Rebooting back to normal Windows mode...

Starting Live OneCare off the All Programs menu... Na, get dialogue that Live OneCare can't continue.

And can't uninstall from Add/remove program: "Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed"

Oh, well... back to square one, as they say.

Thanks for trying this. I'll edit my prior post to indicate that it didn't work. It *was* a long shot.

I have not yet heard any updates from the OneCare team/Microsoft on the problem, unfortunately.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:46 AM
  • I am having the same issues described by many in these forums which started at the same time - Sunday afternoon. I spent three hours on phone with MS Tech Support, rolled back my system restore to date before .NET 4 Framework was installed, used the OneCare clean utility and the issues still haven't resolved. Now they are calling me back on Wednesday from research to try and resolve the issue.

Problem is I have work to get done and not being able to access the internet, uninstall programs, print, or end up in endless spinning discs of waiting and having to constantly use Task Manager is unacceptable. Lastly, I hope this isn't an internet fix, because I can't use the internet on the affected computer because of this error.

This is a major issue and I can't believe there hasn't been a fix issued for it yet. Please has anyone found a way to fix this? I am crippled right now...

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Exact same issues for me and started at the same time. Tuesday AM now and still no fixes. I have work to get done under tight deadlines and my primary PC is dead in the water as a result of this.

BTW, I hope the fix isn't an automatic internet thing. I can't get to the internet on the affected PC as a result unless I am in Safe Mode with Networking.

This is a real bummer.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Exact same issues for me and started at the same time. Tuesday AM now and still no fixes. I have work to get done under tight deadlines and my primary PC is dead in the water as a result of this.

BTW, I hope the fix isn't an automatic internet thing. I can't get to the internet on the affected PC as a result unless I am in Safe Mode with Networking.

This is a real bummer.

Please remove OC and check if the issue occurs:

Step 1: Boot into Safe Mode with Networking

===================================

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode with Networking, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.

Step 2: Start Windows Installer service

===============================

1. Click the Start Button, type CMD in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Type the following command and press Enter.

Note: I suggest we copy and paste the command above instead of typing it. Please select and copy the command. Then, in the command window, right click and choose Paste. The command will be pasted to the command line. Press Enter to run the command.

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

4. Type the following command and press Enter

net start msiserver

You will receive a message stating the service is successfully started.

Step 3: Run OneCare Cleanup tool

===========================

1. Please download the tool from the following link and save it onto your hard disk:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

2. Double-click the downloaded "OneCareCleanup" file and then click "Continue".

3. Choose "I accept the terms of End-User Licensing Agreement" and click "Continue".

4. Click the "Clean" button, and the tool will begin to remove OneCare.

5. After the process finishes, please click to restart the computer.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:26 AM
  • I fixed the problem!!!!

Don't know if this will work for everyone, but here is the process I followed. I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2.

1.) In Safe Mode with Networking - Did System Restore to date before .NET framework was installed (6-24-2010).

2.) Reboot to Safe Mode with Networking.

3.) Again, in Safe Mode with Networking - Ran the OneCare Clean Utility and changed computer date to 6-24-2010.

4.) Rebooted to normal mode and now everything is currently working.

Of course, this still doesn't change the fact my PC has a Date stamp of 6-24-2010 right now, but at least I am in normal mode and can try and finish cleaning things up from here.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Just want to add. I did the exact same process yesterday (System Restore to 6-24, OneCare Clean etc., but left time and date stamp current). In repeating the process but changing the time and date stamp the problem resolved.

Question remaining is now that this is fixed in normal Windows mode, can I go back to current time and date stamp Personally I'm too afraid at the moment to try.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:50 AM
  • I fixed the problem!!!!

Don't know if this will work for everyone, but here is the process I followed. I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2.

1.) In Safe Mode with Networking - Did System Restore to date before .NET framework was installed (6-24-2010).

3.) Again, in Safe Mode with Networking - Ran the OneCare Clean Utility and changed computer date to 6-24-2010.

Of course, this still doesn't change the fact my PC has a Date stamp of 6-24-2010 right now, but at least I am in normal mode and can try and finish cleaning things up from here.

Could you please reinstall OC and see if it also works?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:51 AM
  • Honestly, I'm afraid to at the moment since my PC is my primary working computer and I am behind at moment.

Will attempt to diagnose more this evening (changing time stamp back and re-installing OneCare) but currently at least I am operational and can get some work done after losing a good portion of the day yesterday.

Also wondering if, now that I have .NET 3.5 SP1 as latest, instead of .NET 4, if this is issue.

I will do more this evening and try and help now that I have reached this point.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:04 AM
  • I managed to get rid of my onecare which expired last sunday. I made a system restore to a point prior to sunday. then I changed the system date to a day before sunday and rebooted in safe mode with network support. after that, I had success, running the onecare cleanup tool. after rebootin in regular mode, onecare is deinstalled.

Even the internet explorer seems to work. 

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Outtlook, too!
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:20 AM
  • If anyone thinks they have solved the problem then would you please be kind enough to give a detailed step by step guide ?!? Thanks

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Im having this problem too.

Someone said that resoting their computer to june 24th worked, but i cant seem to manually choose a date and time to restore to (maybe because i am on safe mode?). I can only choose from the list, which only goes back to about the 27th june. Anyone know how i can choose an earlier date to restore to?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Im having this problem too.

Someone said that resoting their computer to june 24th worked, but i cant seem to manually choose a date and time to restore to (maybe because i am on safe mode?). I can only choose from the list, which only goes back to about the 27th june. Anyone know how i can choose an earlier date to restore to?

If the oldest date is the 27th of June, that's the oldest saved Restore Point on your PC.

Note that darksun26 reported performing a system restore to a date before the 10th of July and setting the PC clock to a prior date as well - the date was not specified, but it does not appear to have been older than the 27th of June. Give it a try.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:05 PM
  • If anyone thinks they have solved the problem then would you please be kind enough to give a detailed step by step guide ?!? Thanks

Posted steps reported as possibly working here in a locked post (copied from this thread) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Went through the steps 1-4 posted above and it resolved my issue also, with the same caveat that my system still says 6/24/10.

In regular mode I changed my clock back to 7/13 restarted before trying to install Microsoft Security Essentials (my ISP pointed to it as a replacement for One Care). I might not have been paying attention but I noticed as it was shutting down that it was "installing update 1 of 1" although I don;t remember telling it to (I've got 4 versions of Windows I work on and not sure if Vista Home Premium 64b gives you the option to shutdown without installing updates?). Upon restart I had the same problem so went through steps 1-4 again. I don't think OneCare was there any longer so I think this is purely a .NET 4 problem. I did have to manually delete one of the OneCare folders that was left over but none of the files were locked.

I've since restarted (shows .NET 3.5 SP1 now), and installed Microsoft Security Essentials v1. I noticed that the shutdown button says "shutdown and install updates". I plan on leaving the computer on until I see a permanent solution.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:10 PM
  • That's an interesting development, picklev. As I understand the problem, it is unique to OneCare and .Net Framework v4.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:28 PM
  • you asked me for a detailed solution. Here it is:

My situation was that oc expired on sunday (11.07.2010) and outlook, IE and other system programs like system restore didn't work any more. My system is Vista Premium and Office 2007.

1.Try to make a restore point where the system definetly was working. In my case, it was 7.07.2010. I had to do this in safe mode with the commando prompt, as the system refused to do it in regular mode ( type rstrui from the prompt)

2.Change the system date to a date before the system crashed. I changed to 07.07.2010

3. Reboot the system in safe mode with network support and run the cleanup utility for onecare:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

The program should now deinstall onecare

4. Reboot in regular mode. The system should work now.

In my opinion, changing the system date to a date prior the expiration was the key. Don't forget to change the system date to the current date!

• Edited by darksun26 Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:03 PM
  • i have a question, if you use the cleanup tool and reinstall, how long does it take for One care to search for Updates.. mine is 10 minutes long now..is that normal?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:12 PM
  • that is definetely too long. my deinstallation took 2-3 minues. be shure to deinstall in safe mode with network support.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:16 PM
  • oo i know, i meant reinstalling it.. mine was stuck on checking on updates for like 10 minutes..is that normal soo i let it continue?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:19 PM
  • I don't know if it is normal to take this time. However, you shouldn't try to reinstall as oc will expire soon. Better install essentials. As you can see, deinstalling oc after its expiration can become a nightmare...
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:24 PM
  • oo i know, i meant reinstalling it.. mine was stuck on checking on updates for like 10 minutes..is that normal soo i let it continue?

Why are you now reinstalling OneCare?

Depending on your download speed, yes, it can be a fairly long download for bringing down the latest engine and definitions. However, I would *not* reinstall OneCare at this point. If you have removed OneCare successfully and rebooted, use a different security program - Microsoft Security Essentials, for example.   http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/resources.aspx 

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:26 PM
  • well, i had support from a guy from microsoft and he said to reinstall... soo i just followed his steps, thats y i am reinstalling... but even after uninstalling, my problems are still not solved
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:29 PM
  • well, i had support from a guy from microsoft and he said to reinstall... soo i just followed his steps, thats y i am reinstalling... but even after uninstalling, my problems are still not solved

Are you still working with Support at this point? What happened after you uninstalled OneCare? And, how did you uninstall it?

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:41 PM

Are you still working with Support at this point? What happened after you uninstalled OneCare? And, how did you uninstall it?

-steve

i used the clean up tool, as u posted once before.. nothing happened after i uninstalled One care.. i still cannot connect to the Internet in Normal mode, i guess thats why i cannot install it again.. i get emails, and i am waiting for him to reply.. He however advised to turn off UAC(USER Account Control/

hey by the way, can you install essentials without internet connection in normal mode, because mine is stuck on the same process for 5 minutes also

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Here's what I did.

In safe mode I used the clean up tool. Got rid of OneCare.

Then I changed the date to June 9th (no particular reason for this exact date).

Turned on Windows Defender and Firewall.

I then restarted my comp.

First good sign? My internet connection no longer had the x through it! Woot!

Next I installed MS Security Essentials (I already had that downloaded last night though).

So far, my comp is working normally. Just changed the date back to normal. Praying things will stay good when I restart. Wish me luck.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:55 PM
  • oo i will try that darkimple..thanks
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Here's what I did.

In safe mode I used the clean up tool. Got rid of OneCare.

Then I changed the date to June 9th (no particular reason for this exact date).

Turned on Windows Defender and Firewall.

I then restarted my comp.

First good sign? My internet connection no longer had the x through it! Woot!

Next I installed MS Security Essentials (I already had that downloaded last night though).

So far, my comp is working normally. Just changed the date back to normal. Praying things will stay good when I restart. Wish me luck.

i tried it.. thanks soo much.. i did exactly what you did
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Copying from my earlier post:

<<I've since restarted (shows .NET 3.5 SP1 now), and installed Microsoft Security Essentials v1. I noticed that the shutdown button says "shutdown and install updates". I plan on leaving the computer on until I see a permanent solution.>>

The laptop decided to restart by itself?!? - we had been using it a few minutes before and then everything started closing and it said shutting down and installing updates. It restarted, opened all of the windows we had been using and opened the control panel to "view update history". For 7/13 it shows 4 updates (KB982519, KB982525, KB982480 and KB915597). I had also changed the system date back to current date/time prior to the shutdown as my wife was working in Outlook. Everything seems to be working fine right now but I'm a little worried about restarting.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:21 PM
  • picklev, if it is Vista or Windows 7, it will restart for critical updates - you'll get a prompt about it and can delay the restart, but it will eventually reboot if you aren't paying attention.

I think that you'll be okay. I'm pretty sure that the earlier problem on reboot, where you had to repeat the cleanup process, was a fluke.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:29 PM
  • DOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOT put the date back. It will booger everything back up. I think it's the date. I don't think it has anything to do with OneCare.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:30 PM
  • hey am just curious, is Essentials like a back up plan for One care or is it a totally different Antivirus program
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:31 PM
  • DOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOT put the date back. It will booger everything back up. I think it's the date. I don't think it has anything to do with OneCare.

Why what happened ? haha I'm certainly not gonna do anything now until something official comes up !!!
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:36 PM

i think its the date too, One care re-install that would not work before is working now that i changed the date.. i stopped the installation though
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:39 PM
  • I think the simplest solution to get by for now is to just change the date back from safe mode. I put mine to June 13 (so that it's the same day as today, just off a month) in hopes that's Microsoft will have it fixed sometime in the near future. Comp is working fine now.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:40 PM
  • It just went back to not working. I think the simplest solution to get by for now is to just change the date back from safe mode. I put mine to June 13 (so that it's the same day as today, just off a month) in hopes that's Microsoft will have it fixed sometime in the near future.

I did exactly this and yup one care is up and running. Internet is working !!!!  Ha bad thing is obviously the comps date is a month behind.  I suppose the waiting game is what should be played now ?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:51 PM

Why what happened ? haha I'm certainly not gonna do anything now until something official comes up !!!

It just went back to not working.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:51 PM
  • It just went back to not working. I think the simplest solution to get by for now is to just change the date back from safe mode. I put mine to June 13 (so that it's the same day as today, just off a month) in hopes that's Microsoft will have it fixed sometime in the near future.

I did exactly this and yup one care is up and running. Internet is working !!!!  Ha bad thing is obviously the comps date is a month behind.  I suppose the waiting game is what should be played now ?

Indeed. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Just have to remember to date my own saves so I don't get confused in the future when I'm looking for certain files.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:57 PM
  • hey am just curious, is Essentials like a back up plan for One care or is it a totally different Antivirus program

Microsoft Security Essentials is the free antimalware product that is available to users of Genuine Windows. It was announced at the same time that the announcement was made about the end of life for OneCare.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/resources.aspx 

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Strange.  I just flicked the date back to today (13 July 2010), restarted and its still working fine and dandy !!!! Windows is showing me 4 important updates mind and Adobe a security update.  I'm going to leave them for the time being.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:05 PM
  • so do i need a new antivirus program, or is essentials capable enough
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:10 PM

If you liked OneCare (prior to this mishap), Microsoft Security Essentials improves on the protection of OneCare, plus it is free.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:38 PM

If you liked OneCare (prior to this mishap), Microsoft Security Essentials improves on the protection of OneCare, plus it is free.

-steve

oooo cool, thanks, i liked one care, hey, every program has got its bad days.. thanks a lot stephen.. 
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Stephen,

THIS IS CLEARLY AN ISSUE WITH THE SYSTEM DATE SETTINGS...

I have 2 laptops on the same OneCare Circle affected with this problem. On the 1st machine I tried Styx Shi's suggested solution in Safe Mode to start Windows Installer service followed by running the OneCare Cleanup tool to remove Windows Live OneCare. This seemed to work and it allowed me to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile via Control Panel. I left Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and installed Kapspersky Internet Security to replace Live OneCare. I then rebooted the machine in normal mode only to find that the problem had not not gone away. It was then that I noticed the posts about the system date. I changed the date back to 6th July, rebooted in normal mode and hey presto everything is now working fine.

The date issue made me think so I went to the 2nd machine which I haven't touched since we identified the problem on Sunday. I started Windows in Safe Mode, changed the system date to 6th July, rebooted in Normal Mode and now it is working perfectly. Windows Live OneCare is still installed and works fine along with all other applications.

I don't know what the problem is but clearly it is triggered when the system date is 11th July or later.

Now when is Microsoft going to fix this problem or at least provide an update on their status to all the poor people that are being affected?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Well, that is very interesting, JLandau.

I don't frequent the Windows Update forums, and have only heard of this issue here in the OneCare forums. When it was initially being investigated, I was told that an install of .Net Framework 4.0 was all that was needed to reproduce the problem on a machine with OneCare installed - of course, after 7/11...

Simply changing the clock and getting everything going is odd.

On that second machine, is .Net Framework 4.0 installed along with OneCare?

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:16 PM
  • OneCare Customer Experience

This is my first post.  I found this site searching Google on Sunday to find an answer to this common problem.  Briefly, I have Vista, can access the internet and all software programs.  I cannot access Windows Mail or any function in the control panel.  OneCare pops up as not responding like the rest of you.  I have internet service through Qwest and phoned their technical services on Sunday night.  Told that OC representative will not be available until Monday morning.  Phoned Monday morning and told that OC is aware and working on the problem and to give them 24 hours to resolve.  Phoned this morning and waited until the Qwest representative connected me to a OC representative (90 minute wait).  Was given what sounded like a prepared statement by the rep that said MS is working nonstop on the problem and will contact me when they have a solution.  He was very hard to understand but I think he then said to give it 36 hours.

Appreciate all the sharing that everyone on this site does for each other and will report once contacted by MS.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Be sure to read up through the previous posts, BucksRon.

It looks like booting the PC in Safe mode and simply changing the clock on the PC to be a date prior to July 11th and then rebooting temporarily resolves the issue. We don't know why. Once the date goes back to 7/11 or later, the problem returns.

-steve

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:25 PM
  • I'm nearly there on one of my PCs using the method below (thanks omni737) but rolled back to 25th June

Just tried to reset the date to today and everything stops again. any ideas?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:33 PM

I don't frequent the Windows Update forums, and have only heard of this issue here in the OneCare forums. When it was initially being investigated, I was told that an install of .Net Framework 4.0 was all that was needed to reproduce the problem on a machine with OneCare installed - of course, after 7/11...

-steve

The 2nd machine still has Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (is that the same as .NET Framework 4?), Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Live OneCare installed. Another interesting find is that my father's laptop, which is the 3rd machine in my OneCare Circle, is working just fine. He does not have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile on his machine.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I read all the posts and was a little afraid to try anything as I'm not real confident in my tech skills but I followed your suggestion and reset the date in safe mode.  IT WORKED!  Everything other than the date seems to be back to normal.  Thanks so much.  I'll report once contacted by MS.

Ron

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Confirmed here as well for two laptops running vista, setting date back to the 9th of this month makes everything start working again, however only one of the two seems to have .net 4.0 installed, even though both where affected...
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:29 PM

-steve

The 2nd machine still has Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (is that the same as .NET Framework 4?), Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Live OneCare installed. Another interesting find is that my father's laptop, which is the 3rd machine in my OneCare Circle, is working just fine. He does not have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile on his machine.

It might be that my father hasn't rebooted his machine since the weekend but I can't confirm now as he's now gone on holiday. I will have access to his machine tomorrow when I can reboot and test to see if his is also affected.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Now that everything is working by setting the date back, would it be wise to uninstall OC and install Essentials or should I wait for official word from MS?  Could having the incorrect date foul things up if I performed these functions?

Also, when I get on Windows Mail it says it cannot be verified because of the date but allows me to continue if I say yes to "continue using this server".  Is it okay to do this?  It works fine when I say yes and continue.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:46 PM
  • This is my first post.  I am having live care issues also.   I know that it is being fixed.  I have Vista for my laptop.  I can not uninstall windows live one care so i could install windows essentials.  I have to do some online banking.  Is it safe to do that without having any protection for my laptop?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:43 PM
  • I too was able to receive partial reinstatement of my system simply by going into Safe Mode and Changing the date.

However, I am still encountering several problems ... one my printer NOW will not work, the error message says "Communication Not Available" and I am receiving an error message on start-up that says that "Some programs have been blocked from start-up" and lastly the Windows Update icon is popping up and saying "Windows can't check for Updates"

Any suggestions on how to correct any of these problems?

With the printer, I disconnected and reconnected power and USB Cable and restarted the computer.  They also suggest checking the Firewall to ensure printer communication is not blocked, but I don't know how to do that!

I too have put in an email support request to OneCare and I have not received a reply.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Changing the date will cause some programs to not run correctly...windows update can't run because the date is wrong on the computer as well...
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Hi Steve,

My computer was suffering from the same issues as others mentioned here cannot uninstall onecare, cannot access most of internet, freezing during simple tasks looking into control panel, etc... I have onecare and .net framework 4.0 installed on my machine. My problems have been solved (as far as I can tell) by doing the following:

1. In Safe mode changed date to June 13 2010.

2. Restarted in Normal mode and then uninstalled windows live onecare.

3. Restarted in Normal mode and then installed microsoft security essentials.

4. Restarted in Normal mode and then changed date back to today's date.

5. Restarted in Normal mode and then updated windows and updated microsoft security essentials.

6. Restarted in Normal mode. All seems to be working. I did not have to do anything to .net framework 4.0

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:15 AM
  • The Issue gets resolved when we change the date and time and it re-occurs primarily due to the Certificate which gets installed along with the definition update of the Windows Live OneCare.

This is the Only possibility. We can try out the suggestion by following the steps given below.

Start - > MMC

Click on File - > Add or remove Snap in -> Select Certificate and Click on Add button, It will give us the choice to select My User Account, Service account and Computer Account.

Be Sure to select Service account, Click on Next and Click next to Select Local Computer. Now it will give list of services. Select Windows Live OneCare and Click Finish

This Loads the Windows Live OneCare Certificates. Expand the Certificates and go to Winss\Personal and Click Certificates below that. And Delete the Certificate listed on the Right hand side.

That should resolve the issue. Hope we found the root cause of the issue now. Be happy guys...

Good Night...

Anish
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:00 AM
  • The Issue gets resolved when we change the date and time and it re-occurs primarily due to the Certificate which gets installed along with the definition update of the Windows Live OneCare.

This is the Only possibility. We can try out the suggestion by following the steps given below.

Start - > MMC

Click on File - > Add or remove Snap in -> Select Certificate and Click on Add button, It will give us the choice to select My User Account, Service account and Computer Account.

Be Sure to select Service account, Click on Next and Click next to Select Local Computer. Now it will give list of services. Select Windows Live OneCare and Click Finish

This Loads the Windows Live OneCare Certificates. Expand the Certificates and go to Winss\Personal and Click Certificates below that. And Delete the Certificate listed on the Right hand side.

That should resolve the issue. Hope we found the root cause of the issue now. Be happy guys...

Good Night...

Anish

Hi Anish, thanks for your suggestion. I have a questions: since the certificate is deleted, OC goes back to the trial version and only provides 1 day. Will this issue reoccur if we reactivate it? Thanks!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Anish, thanks for the suggestion.

Have tried it but doesn't look like it's worked for me (on Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2).

I went thru your steps as above. My certificate had a name that started with "7b4...." and expiration date of 28/10/2011.

After a restart, I tried starting Live OneCare from the Start menu and it finally only gave me what I've been seeing... "Live OneCare cannot continue...".

As well I tried uninstalling OneCare but no luck there either.

I've been back into MMC and the certificate I had under Winss\Personal is certainly gone.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the next exciting installment of our continuing saga.

--Bernie

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Anish, thanks for the suggestion.

Have tried it but doesn't look like it's worked for me (on Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2).

I went thru your steps as above. My certificate had a name that started with "7b4...." and expiration date of 28/10/2011.

After a restart, I tried starting Live OneCare from the Start menu and it finally only gave me what I've been seeing... "Live OneCare cannot continue...".

As well I tried uninstalling OneCare but no luck there either.

I've been back into MMC and the certificate I had under Winss\Personal is certainly gone.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the next exciting installment of our continuing saga.

--Bernie

Hi Bernie, let's check if Windows Live OneCare and Windows Live OneCare Health Monitor services are started. Please click the Start button, type SERVICES.MSC in the Start Search box and press Enter, then check the services in the right panel.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:29 AM
  • THANKS FISHERMAN 77.  I followed your steps 1 through 6 and the problem seems to be fixed.  Let's hope this is history.  So how many people have been affected by this anyway?  Thousands?  Millions?
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Thanks fisherman77, of all the suggestions on the site, yours is the simplest and so for most successful. I  started this thread so i have been going crazy trying every single suggestion here. I hope this this works longer, i have mse working and windows updated with the correct date. Life is good again. Thanks to all that have helped especially steve.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:42 AM
  • Rushcomhouse, I followed Fisherman 77's steps and they worked.  Onecare is unistalled, security essentials is installed, and all of the problems appear to be solved.  I'm running Vista Ultimate Premium, 32 bit.

PS, didn't mean to propose your post as a solution, my mistake there.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:43 AM
  • Being the volunteer IT person at "rushcomhouse" and of that age that when I've done a few hours, I retire quietly home and "rest", I called up this thread and saw you were asking me to have a look at whether the following services had started, so I've come back in from home.

Have just looked at those two services - Windows Live OneCare and Windows Live OneCare Health Monitor - and neither has started (i.e., Status is blank).

Those two services, plus OneCare AntiSpyware & AntiVirus and OneCare Firewall, are the ones I checked early on, as detailed in the online OneCare help system.

At the moment OneCare AntiSpyware & AntiVirus has been Started but OneCareFirewall service has not been started.

These services are as they were first thing Monday morrning when I noticed things had gone astray.

I'll see if I can start 'em and report back.

--Bernie

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Thank you so much.  I thought I was going bonkers-both of my computers were down, did virus scanning all day on my day off and it was simply as changing the date.  Wow--technology is so advanced!  One quick question can I reinstall live care if I remove it?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:49 AM
  • No, none of the three services not running would start (Error 1053..., which is same as on Monday - phew, that's a long time ago...).

I've got 4 x desktop PCs (one of which is our Manager's so I want to make sure any fix doesn't mess up her puter :)) and a laptop to fix.

For the moment, I'll leave my computer as is and try fisherman77's method on one of other desktop machines.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Thank you!!!!

Thought I was going--Bonkers!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:04 AM
  • No, none of the three services not running would start (Error 1053..., which is same as on Monday - phew, that's a long time ago...).

I've got 4 x desktop PCs (one of which is our Manager's so I want to make sure any fix doesn't mess up her puter :)) and a laptop to fix.

For the moment, I'll leave my computer as is and try fisherman77's method on one of other desktop machines.

Yes, you may try MSE. It's likely that OC components have been corrupted, so the services can't be restarted properly.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:33 AM
  • hi alan

Have just finished using Fisherman77's solution on one of my machines and it appears all has gone ok. I'm leaving it to update MSE and any Windows updates overnight so I'll check in the morning.

It's time for food...

Thx for your tip and feedback. Looks like it could be the way to go since I've still got 3 x desktops plus a laptop to get back to normal so will see how things are in the morning.

--Bernie

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hi

My laptop which is in the same onecare circle as the PC i am having problems with seems to be fine, it has onecare and .net 4.0 installed. wonder if this will go faulty in the future?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:26 AM
  • I have managed to fix one of my laptops without uninstalling anything. I simply changed the system date back to 6th July, ran Windows Update and then reset the date back to the current date. The machine is still running Live OneCare and .Net Framework 4. I have no idea why it is suddenly working given the problems I am having with my other Vista laptop.

The other laptop (hub PC) however is still the same. First I followed Styx Shi's solution to remove OneCare and then unistalled .NET Framework - no luck. Then I reinstalled both apps and tried Fisherman77's solutions but to no avail. It only works when the date is pre 11th July!

Why isn't Microsoft coming out with a statement or a fix for this issue. I can't believe they have not communicated a single thing and it is seriously staring to p*ss me off!

James

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Based on my hours of work on this issue with multiple machines, everything works as long as you keep the date before July 11th.  I have uninstalled OC with the utility, installed and then uninstalled security essentials but still have issues with a current date.  (btw...Thank you to all for the help above)

But the key to stability seems to be keeping the date in the past.  I'm running a small business so I've decided to start the upgrade on all machines to Windows 7 and hope this will fix this issue.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Ha. Imagine if Y2K really happened.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I've updated the sticky post with the steps proposed yesterday by Fisherman77 in this thread. Thanks for providing a rather simpl solution, Fisherman77.

Anish Mohan, I've sent your post regarding the certificates over to our contacts for comment.

I have absolutely no new information on the problem at this point, but will update heronce we have an answer.

Note that I have removed all answer and proposed answer attributes from this thread for now as we have workarounds - no actual solution yet. :-( Removing OneCare if you still wish to use it and have an active subscription can't be considered a solution at this point.

-steve

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Bernie,

Hope your one machine is still working OK after the overnight updates.  Mine seems to be doing fine.

I see Stephen Boots the site moderator has incorporated fishermann 77's fix into his sticky post as a solution.  Seems like the best we can do.  I'm happy to have left One Care as it's a subscription service and its replacement, microsoft security essentials, is free.

Alan

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:35 PM
  • I'm about to update the sticky post with what appears below. I received this from Microsoft and have been informed that the problem is resolved by Support using these instructions.

I will leave this thread open through tomorrow before locking it.

The instructions below will allow you to continue to use OneCare after the fix *and* not worry about the date. The problem is not related to .Net Framework 4.0. I'm not sure that I understand the problem completely, but you now have a few options. Follow the steps below if you wish to use OneCare through your subscription's end, use the steps above and in the sticky to remove OneCare and install MSE or another security solution, or contact Support for help with the steps below.

_________________________SOLUTION________________________

Step 1:Boot into Safe Mode

=================

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

Step 2: Change System Date to 7/7/2010

1. Click Start, type "TIMEDATE.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box and then press Enter

2. Change the System Date to 7/7/2010

Step 3: return the system back to Normal Mode

==============================

Please simply restart the computer, to return the system back to Normal Mode.

8. Under "Name", double-click "Certificates - Service (Windows Live OneCare) on Local Computer"

9. Double-click the first (top) folder (winss\Personal), and then double-click "Certificates"

10. Right-click on the certificate shown in the window, select "Delete", and click "Yes"

Step 5: Readjust System Date to correct date

Please readjust System Date to the current time, and then restart the computer again to see if the issue is resolved.

Note: If the issue is resolved, please do not forget to re-activate OneCare again to ensure your computer is under protection.

If the steps above do not work, delete 1 additional certificate as follows:

1.       Open Start-> Run->mmc

2.       Add Certificates ->Computer Account

3.       Open Personal->Certificates remove all expired certs were issued by “Client Issuing CA”

* If there is only expired cert remove all

4.       Reboot

There are a few solutions here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d that will allow you to remove OneCare and proceed to install a different security solution such as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Finally, if you are unable to resolve the problem yourself, you can open a support case:

-steve

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Wiped out OneCare with Cleanup tool.

Installed MSE.

Updated Windows and MSE (but only able to do this with date set to pre-Sunday).

Tried all of the certificate suggestions.  Windows Live OneCare already cleaned up, so I couldn't find any there, but something called Windows Live OneCare Health Monitor is still there untouched.  Had to delete one expired cert from "Client Issuing CA" but left two behind which expire in August.

Still no good when I try today's date.  I guess support is next for me.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Am having same problem with both a laptop and computer, really rather frustrating, do you think its a definitey a onecare problem? Has anyone been successful with resolving the issue?
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Didn't work for me either. I had removed OneCare with the cleaning tool so the certificate was gone. Removed the OneCare Health Monitor cert. There were no expired certificates. Reset the date and same problems come back :(
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi Alan

Just into work (I'm on Australian time) and machine seems ok. It's on a Windows Home Server network for backup & it was backed up so that worked ok overnight.

fisherman77's solution seems the easiest. I think I'll use it on my other machines that need fixing, the only little extra to do is use the OneCare cleanup tool to uninstall OneCare.

All my OneCare subs were due to either expire this week or next so I'm not worred about installing Microsoft Security Essentials, something I'd planned for anyway. It's just that it's turned out to be a little more complicated... Mind you, the years I've had OneCare have been a bonus for not having to worry about the machines and getting backups done.

Interestingly, one of my adult class has OneCare on their computer at home. The machine is the same specs as I've got here and, while their sub is due soon, he hasn't had any problems - uhh??? (or, at least he hasn't rung me yet to report any probs).

Hopefully all will be well and we can all get back to normal :)

--Bernie

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Hi Alan

On another two machines, I've used Fisherman77's method except I used the OneCare Cleanup tool to do the uninstalling (as suggested by Steve in his note on Fisherman77's method - scroll down past Steve's method from Microsoft on http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

And these two machines are a no-go as far as network connectivity is concerned. The machine I did last night seems quite OK. I'm assuming there's something that the OneCare Cleaner takes off that is stopping network connectivity.

Microsoft Security Essentials installed ok but, naturally, it's trying to update over the Net, can can't.

I've had a look with MMC, as per Steve's method, to delete certificates (the extra step if the first steps don't work) - there was one there that had expired but deleting it didn't accomplish anything.

I'm calling it a day, even tho it's only 1400 Australia time and I'll let the brain have a rest.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Steve,

I have tried your solution but it doesn't work on my laptop. I had already unistalled OneCare and installed Kaspersky instead. I don't understand why one machine is OK but the other is still not working when I change the date to after 7/11. It is becoming very confusing, especially in Outlook, operating one week behind.

Have you had any word back from Microsoft yet as I have raised a support case and have heard nothing back in 2 days!

James

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:38 PM
  • James, scroll up to the post marked as "Answer" or go here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

-steve

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Steve,

I have tried this but it still doesn't work on my machine for some reason. I have completely removed OneCare and replaced it with Kaspersky and I am still having the same problem. What do you suggest?

James

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Steve,

I have tried this but it still doesn't work on my machine for some reason. I have completely removed OneCare and replaced it with Kaspersky and I am still having the same problem. What do you suggest?

James

How did you remove OneCare? Did you follow the process to set the date back in time in Safe Mode and then download and run the OneCare cleanup tool? Did you also then follow the steps about the certificates? If you remove Kaspersky does the problem go away when you set the date back to the current date?

Since the problem sure seems to be the OneCare certificates issue, even after removal of OneCare, I think working with Support would be a good direction. If you have a case number, post it here and I'll see if I can get someone to follow-up on it.

-steve

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:46 PM
  • I removed OneCare using the Cleanup Tool and yes I set the date back in time in Safe Mode as I can't do this in Normal Mode. I couldn't find the certificates as I had already uninstalled OneCare from the machine. I couldn't complete the last step to remove the final certificate as I don't get the Open Personal option when I select Computer Account - there is just a button to Finish. Perhaps this is the problem? The problem does not go away if I remove Kaspersky.

My case number is SRX1135024659 if you can pass this onto support as they are not coming back to me at all.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Steve

I've got one machine running again, using Fisherman77's method, as he wrote it up, that is, removing OneCare without using the OneCare Cleanup tool.

On the next two machines, I used your edited version of Fisherman's method which had the note to use the OC Cleanup Tool to remove OC - these two machines are showing the same symptoms as when OC was installed (i.e., no network connectivity, can't access Network settings, uninistall in Add/Remove doesn't respond).

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials as my new antivirus program (which can't update because of no network connectivity).

As well, on these latter two machines, I checked for any certificates, and the only one that showed and was deleted was using the last four steps of your post.

In following Fisherman77's method, I've gone step by step to reset date and do all the reboots, etc. As well, in looking for certificates in your last four steps, I went through the process step-by-step to reset the date, etc.

I've put in a Support case - number is 1135253768

PS It's early Australian time & I'm at home. When I get into work, I'll be back posting as "rushcomhouse".

Phew, it's been a long week...

--Bernie

Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:33 PM
  • My PC has been down since Sunday but for some reason my laptop has not been affected so I have been following this thread all week and decided not to mess around with anything until there was more information.  I followed the steps for your solution, reactivated OneCare, and I'm happy to report that my computer is working fine now.  Thanks so much Stephen for all your efforts on this!
    Friday, July 16, 2010 2:51 AM
  • GingerCat

I think you're right in waiting for a solution.

As you can read from my posts - rushcomhouse and webdotwiz - I've managed to get one machine working out of five.

As a matter of interest, I checked the MMC on the one I got working by going through Fisherman77's steps (his original post, not the one Steve posted with the extra bit to use the OneCare Cleanup Tool) and there seems to be a few errors in there about not being able to access certificates. I haven't got the nitty details but I was just browsing through various services.

So, like you, I'll be waiting for The Solution over the weekend and hopefully Monday will be a lot brighter than the one that's just gone.

--Bernie

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:08 AM
  • I have a ticket(1135177110) opened with MS as well and they have given me the same instructions as Stephen's Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:09 PM entry. That fixed the problem of no internet and the other things like control panel not working. I have run into a follow up problem where now my circle of Pc's(3 total) with my laptop as the hub does not recognise the backup device connected to my laptop. Therfore windows Onecare has lost it's capability of knowing where backup files are on all three of my machines.  I am waiting for follow up suggestion from MS to try and recover but I believe if this goes into Saturday I will be abandoning Onecare and use some other backup routine to not be exposed like I am right now. Then I will be using some suggestions listed in this thread to remove Onecare and move on.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Steve

I've been having same problem since the latest update was installed on 7/12: non-responsive network, no access to administrative tools, onecare "missing", Explorer non-responsive.

While systray shows no internet connection and I can't start IE or other network tools, oddly enough, Google Chrome gets me onto the web. Not sure why. Anyway, lucky to find this thread and tried Omni737's solution. It worked. I did reset my clock to current date after successfully cleaning up OneCare, installing MSE, and installing the latest updates from MS. Everything seemed fine.

Not sure why, but after rebooting this evening, I'm having the same problems as before. No more OneCare, but also no network tools, no printers available ("spool service is not running"), etc. Maybe I shouldn't have run the updates again.

I'll contact support, but wanted to say thanks and let you know that there are probably a lot of folks out there scratching their heads on this one and waiting for a one-step update to solve this.

Dan

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:47 AM
  • I've put in a Support case - number is 1135253768

PS It's early Australian time & I'm at home. When I get into work, I'll be back posting as "rushcomhouse".

Phew, it's been a long week...

--Bernie

I look forward to an update on this. I had sent a follow-up email yesterday to report that a few had problems even after using the solution, but I've not heard back yet.

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I have a ticket(1135177110) opened with MS as well and they have given me the same instructions as Stephen's Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:09 PM entry. That fixed the problem of no internet and the other things like control panel not working. I have run into a follow up problem where now my circle of Pc's(3 total) with my laptop as the hub does not recognise the backup device connected to my laptop. Therfore windows Onecare has lost it's capability of knowing where backup files are on all three of my machines.  I am waiting for follow up suggestion from MS to try and recover but I believe if this goes into Saturday I will be abandoning Onecare and use some other backup routine to not be exposed like I am right now. Then I will be using some suggestions listed in this thread to remove Onecare and move on.

If the Hub PC was affected by the problem, you probably need to reset the backup plan - turn off backup on all PCs, save settings, then reconfigure backup on the hub and save settings.

Personally, I'd make the leap now and abandon OneCare, seeking an alternative backup solution now, at least, even if you continue to use OneCare for protection until the sub expires.

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Am struggling to know what to do, computer is completely unresponsive as well as a laptop, neither will connect to internet, both have windows live onecare and im not a computer wizard and dont know how to resolve the problems. Have been told to factory reset them both but it seems this cannot work either, if anyone could help by trying to show me what to do more simply it would be much appreciated :)

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I have tried to reboot in safe mode and also safe mode with networking, but once I get into the safe mode, my screen defaults to an ÏNSTALL WINDOWS VISTA prompt - not the regular logon screen.  I do not want to reinstall windows vista so have to shut down, and I therefore have had no luck changing the date.  Has anyone else had this problem when trying to get into safe mode?

(I am currently using a Mac computer to get on the internet and into this forum.)

Has anyone also experienced this problem?

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Clearly the posted solutions have worked for some people but there are still lots of people like me whose machines are still not working. I have tried every solution - even tried reinstalling OneCare so I could try another solution.

I have now removed OneCare using the Cleaup Tool and replaced it with Kaspersky but the problem persists when I set the date to after 7/11. Is this definitely a OneCare issue or is it related to something else?

This issue is now approaching a week old and there has been no solutions or statements from Microsoft on how to fix it. I think it is disgraceful given we have all licensed this product and they don't even seem to be acknowledging that there is a problem. Please, please, please can someone give me the answer?

James

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:27 PM
  • I'll contact support, but wanted to say thanks and let you know that there are probably a lot of folks out there scratching their heads on this one and waiting for a one-step update to solve this.

Dan

Please post your case ID here, Dan. And I'll pass it along for review.

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Am struggling to know what to do, computer is completely unresponsive as well as a laptop, neither will connect to internet, both have windows live onecare and im not a computer wizard and dont know how to resolve the problems. Have been told to factory reset them both but it seems this cannot work either, if anyone could help by trying to show me what to do more simply it would be much appreciated :)

The steps are detailed here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:44 PM
  • I have tried to reboot in safe mode and also safe mode with networking, but once I get into the safe mode, my screen defaults to an ÏNSTALL WINDOWS VISTA prompt - not the regular logon screen.  I do not want to reinstall windows vista so have to shut down, and I therefore have had no luck changing the date.  Has anyone else had this problem when trying to get into safe mode?

(I am currently using a Mac computer to get on the internet and into this forum.)

Has anyone also experienced this problem?

I'm not sure why booting into Safe Mode would bring you to an install screen. You may want to contact your PC manufacturer - they may have intercepted the Safe Mode option to provide a recovery procedure.

You can also contact OneCare Support for help if needed. 

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Clearly the posted solutions have worked for some people but there are still lots of people like me whose machines are still not working. I have tried every solution - even tried reinstalling OneCare so I could try another solution.

I have now removed OneCare using the Cleaup Tool and replaced it with Kaspersky but the problem persists when I set the date to after 7/11. Is this definitely a OneCare issue or is it related to something else?

This issue is now approaching a week old and there has been no solutions or statements from Microsoft on how to fix it. I think it is disgraceful given we have all licensed this product and they don't even seem to be acknowledging that there is a problem. Please, please, please can someone give me the answer?

James

Hello, James. I'm sorry that your problem persists. As I noted yesterday, the solution I posted as a sticky post was provided by Microsoft and is the one used by Support, reportedly with success in all or nearly all cases.

I apologize for being away from the forum since yesterday and not seeing your case ID response until a short while ago. I have emailed my OneCare contacts and have asked them to review your support case and escalate as needed.

Updated - James, it was pointed out to me that the FAQ steps were incomplete for the optional certificate deletion if the original steps didn't solve it. I've updated the steps here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Stephen,

You might consider adding the following steps for those customers, Who have already uninstalled the Windows Live OneCare and still having the problems.

Deleting the folder one care protection  :  c:\programdata\microsoft\one care protection

and the Restarting the computer

Anish
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Stephen,

You might consider adding the following steps for those customers, Who have already uninstalled the Windows Live OneCare and still having the problems.

Deleting the folder one care protection  :  c:\programdata\microsoft\one care protection

Anish
    Have you found that doing so resolves the problem for those who continue to have issues despite having removed OneCare and even the certificates? If so, that seems strange. Further, it is only a data folder - it should be empty after an uninstall.

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Oh, and I'll note for anyone that plans to try Anish's suggestion, that the folder location is for Vista only. In XP, the data folder is in a different location.

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:56 PM
  • See...

The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped (15 July 2010)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2284591 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Ticket SRX 1135316706

Got a reply from Bruce in support. His fix: safe mode bootup, change date to 7/7/10, restart in Normal mode, delete Winss in registry, readjust clock to current date, restart. All worked fine until I reset the date and restarted. Then it was back to SNAFU. Repeated process without resetting clock and using it this way for now.

BTW: Bruce recommended that if the problem persists to locate OC Live folder and send him the oncecaresupportdata.zip file. Trouble is, I uninstalled OC last night as part of OMNI737's fix. There still might be a corrupt OC certificate? I'll send a note to Bruce as well.

Thanks!

Friday, July 16, 2010 7:27 PM
  • DbdC55,

Did you perform the optional certificate delete as mentioned in the Sticky after the main steps: 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

Did you try deleting the folder identified by Anish earlier today if you are using Vista?

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 7:33 PM
  • See...

The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped (15 July 2010)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2284591 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thanks for adding this to the thread, Robear. I just learned of this a short while ago and added it at the top of the sticky - 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d

-steve

Friday, July 16, 2010 7:34 PM
  • It was resolving for the cases where the OneCare was removed. Problem was there was multiple DLL Files present even after using the OneCare removal Tool.

3 Issues resolved after performing this. There would be problems coming in while deleting the folder. Where we need to take the Ownership of the Folder and then delete it.

Anish
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Steve

I visited the site Robear mentioned that contains the manual certificate delete steps. Because mssupport recommended deleting Winss in regedit, when I got to the step where it says to look for winss/Personal folder, all I had was a Personal folder whose certs had not expired (one expires 7/20/2010). So I left them. I also deleted the OneCare Protection folder as Anish suggested.

After resetting the clock and restarting, the bootup progressed farther than usual, but hung when it got to starting the sidebar and other networking/security/admin access. Then, as usual, shutting down results in lockup at "Logging Off" state and I have to shut down by holding the power button. At least this gets me to a safe mode startup without F8!

So, no go on either solution. I'm back to safe mode date reset. That's still the only thing that works.

BTW: I no longer have OneCare installed. Using MSE now.

Dan

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Hi, i really need help, when i set the date on my laptop back when i restart it my laptop is back to normal, however putting the correct date back causes problems again, and i dont think i can delete onecare, i'm really struggling, please can you help.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Stephen,

Anish

Jrm2394,

Can you try the above mentioned steps. I am sure it should fix things

Anish
    Friday, July 16, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Anish

I set the date back to July 7th and have completed the steps and deleted the certificate, but am not sure what to do from here as know that setting the date back to current date will cause problems again, what is the next step?

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Do you have the Live OneCare installed on the Computer ? If it is installed these steps which you have done should have resolved the issue. If not you might have delete the c:\programdata\microsoft\one care protection Folder itself.

After deleting the folder, You can restart the computer and set the date and time to correct date. If still it did not fix.

There should be Traces of Registry, I am sure the OneCare Cleanup Tool would have removed. But we can check out in the following registry location.

Start -> Regedit<

Remove the following Registrys

hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\winss
    hklm\software\microsoft\winss
    hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\msfw
    hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\msfwdrv
    hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\msfwhlpr
    hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\msfwsvc
    hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\msmpsvc
    hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\winss
    hkcu\software\microsoft\winss

Anish

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:46 PM
  • After removing all certificates do i then reset date back to current date/time?
    Friday, July 16, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Yes, You need to reset the date to current Date/Time
    Anish
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:04 PM
  • This seems to have worked, computer is working with correct date, however onecare is still on the computer? do i need to get rid of onecare and get a different antivirus software?

Thanks so much for previous help, now just need to do the same for computer as has worked on laptop

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Stephen,

Just want to thanks for research and solution steps provided by this thread ... I was able to follow the procedures and get my computer back up and running.  OneCare is gone and Essentials is installed and I even managed to get my printer back!  Thanks again for your efforts on all of our behalfs.

-tandem

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:07 PM
  • I agree with tandem, thanks so much to everyone that has helped, now i just have the task of repeating this tomo for my main computer, thanks again.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Anish The process I've followed included OneCare cleanup, installing MSE, and setting the clock to 7/7/10. I tried your solutions and they did not work. I reviewed the registries you listed and all were gone already, except msmpsvc and hkcu\...\winss. I deleted those, but after resetting time and restarting, MSE went down: Error 0x80070424 "Does not exist as installed service." I restored again in safe mode and with this registry intact MSE is working again. However, only resetting the clock to 7/7/10 gets things working normally. I think all the solutions today 7/16 have been successful for those who still have OC installed. I can't restore back to pre-OC cleanup, so SOL until someone can figure this out for me. (SRX 1135316706) Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll wait for more. Dan
    Friday, July 16, 2010 11:36 PM
  • DbdC55, Is this folder exists on your Computer ? Can you go to 7/7/10 and Enable the Hidden files and see whether this file is Visible ?

c:\Program Data\Microsoft\OneCare protection

If the Folder is found. Can you delete this and See what happens ?

If you are not able to delete the Folder, Kindly Boot into Safe mode and then delete the Folder.

Anish
    Friday, July 16, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Yes, I deleted the OC Protection in hidden folder previously.

I reviewed again the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2284591 and the steps for those who have already removed OC. It says to download the trial version and reinstall it. I have only changed the date so far, but have not restarted. Because I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed now, I am not sure how to go about this step. I have followed all of the suggestions so far to clean up OC, registry, certificates. I have no expired certificates.

Would you suggest reinstalling OC trial version, and if so, how to go about that with current MSE installed for security?

Thanks Anish

Dan

Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:11 AM
  • 8. Under "Name", double-click "Certificates - Service (Windows Live OneCare) on Local Computer"

Dan, You dont have to look for Expired Certificate, You can delete any certification in Winss\Personal. Once you deleted it, Restart the comptuer. I would definitely advise to Reinstall the OC Trial Version.

Anish
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Thank you, thank you.  You are a genius.  My laptop is now working perfectly.  If all the folks after the date of your posted response would simply follow your instructions specifically, they would also have the same successful result.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Anish

Oy! Mistakenly assumed certs had to be expired.
    Followed your advice: deleted the two in winss\Personal folder and SUCCESS on restart WITH CORRECT DATE. MSE is running fine now, so I'm happy w/out OC.

THANK YOU for your prompt and helpful replies.
    Thanks, too, to Steve, if he checks in.
    A pleasure working with you both.

Dan

Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:09 AM
  • Thanks you, Anish. It is a bit late, so I'll avoid updating the sticky this evening, lest I goof it up, but I'll try to do so at some point tomorrow.

I'm glad to have read the additional succes stories this evening.

-steve

Saturday, July 17, 2010 2:11 AM
  • This seems to have worked, computer is working with correct date, however onecare is still on the computer? do i need to get rid of onecare and get a different antivirus software?

Thanks so much for previous help, now just need to do the same for computer as has worked on laptop

Once you have taken care of the certifcates, and reset the date back to the correct current date, choosing to replace OneCare is up to you.

If your subscription is going to expire soon and you don't use the backup feature, I'd remove it and go with Microsoft Security Essentials which is the free successor to OneCare from Microsoft. If you have time left on the subscription to OneCare and do use OneCare backup, you've got time to research your alternatives. Do note that OneCare will go into at risk status one month before expiration and all support for OneCare will cease by the end of 2010. Your subscription is likely set to expire before then. 

-steve

Saturday, July 17, 2010 2:17 AM
  • You are always Welcome steve, I'm glad both the certificates fix and OneCare protection folder turned out to be the Actual reason for the issue. I am very happy to see people having there issue fixed. Hoping we have completely solved this problem.

Anish
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Anish and Steve

I checked back over the routines I followed yesterday and discovered that there was actually an instruction to delete the "EXPIRED certificates" in Step 5 - for those who had already uninstalled OneCare. The suggestion from Anish that it didn't matter if the certificates had expired was the key.  I commented on the KB article that they should remove the "expired" note. Based on my experience so far, it doesn't matter - for those who removed OC already - if the certificate dates are expired or not. Everything seems to be working fine today.

Thanks again!

Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Wow, I this has fixed mine to at least 95%!  The only thing I have found so far is my start orb is still a rectangular box with a microsoft flag and the word start like the old xp...but I'll take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS WAS SUCH AN EASY FIX!  I have spent HOURS on this...why isn't it on any of the "answers" websites???

Thank you so much

Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Man, I was starting to feel really bad about myself as so many people were getting fixed and I was still confused.  Just to clarify to anyone else who has cleaned OC and is not quite getting it...it was the UNEXPIRED certs in the Computer Account (Step 5 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2284591) that also needed to be deleted to get me back on my feet.

Thanks everyone!

Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Hello everyone

This Monday has turned out to be much better than this time last week :)

Using Steve's method at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/531bbf4f-6f1a-4f44-afba-de263196269d PLUS Anish's note to remove ALL certificates PLUS remove the hidden "OneCare protection" folder, I've fixed the Manager's machine (which I hadn't touched all week).

The machine I'd got going using Fisherman77's method (as he wrote it up on this thread) is still running but I'm going to check to see what the OC uninstall (from Add/remove programs) has left behind.

The other two machines on which I'd used Steve's edited version of Fisherman77's method (using the OC Cleanup Tool to uninstall OC) weren't working at the end of last week but are now :)

What I did was go through Steve's method (steps 1 to 5) but the OC Cleanup Tool had wiped everything.

However the extra step in Step 5 (to delete addional certificates under Computer account regardless of the fact it hadn't expired) was the procedure that got these two machines up and running. Neither of these machines had the "OneCare protection" folder still on disk so the OC Cleanup Tool had got rid of it.

In all, it was deleting certificates whether they'd expired ot not was the key to success.

I've now only got the laptop to bring back to normality and that will be a formality (couldn't help that).

So, in summary, I now have four machines working.

Sincere thanks to Steve and Anish for helping out over the past week and the good feedback from other contributors on this thread.

--Bernie

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:07 AM
  • I'm glad to read some additional success stories. I've updated the sticky after staying away from the forums this weekend. And, I've emailed the OneCare team about updating step 5 of the KB article to remove the "Expired" word that is in bold.

Thanks everyone for a very good dialog through a particularly nasty problem. At this point we have a solution, but the root cause isn't known by me.

-steve

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Im still having trouble with some of the steps.

I removed Live One Care, did the system restore, reset the date, installed MSE and readjusted the date, but as people said before restarting the computer would cause the same problem.

Ive deleted the C:\Program Data, one care folder.

My problem is with the following steps;

When i do the following steps, i can only find the Windows live One Care Health Monitor to add. So when i proceed having added that, clicking under name, the first top folder I get is ;

"OCHealthMon\Personal" and that has no certificates in.

The other folders I get are;

OCHealthMon\Trusted Root Certification Authorities

OCHealthMon\Enterprise Trust etc

They DO have certificates in but i cant find any in the personal folder. Should i delete all these certificates or not? Or am i doing something wrong?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Why did you do a System Restore after removing OneCare? That would suggest that you reverted to a time when OneCare was installed...

I suggest starting the process over.

.          Boot to Safe Mode

2.       Set the system clock to a date prior to 7/11

3.       Delete the OneCare certificates

4.       Optionally uninstall OneCare with the cleanup tool

5.       Optionally delete a leftover hidden OneCare folder

6.       Change the system date back

I don't have a machine with OneCare to check the certificates, nor do I know the relationship with the OCHealthMon certs, but they aren't mentioned in any of the steps that I've read as having worked.

if running through the steps fails to resolve the issue, then I'd open a support case for further help - 

-steve

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Just found this thread today after having a broken toshiba laptop the last 2 weeks.  My problem was that Vista would freeze at the "Please Wait" screen just before im prompted for my windows login.  Safe Mode networking worked fine. 

When i stopped all the startup programs Vista would load but almost any program I clicked would freeze right away.  I tried system restores, didnt work.  I started to have a feeling OC was the source because it would pop up with errors.  Now I've done the OC cleaing and its gone. 

I installed Mic Essentials and I've changed the date to June 13.  Started back up regularly and everything worked!  Some updates D/L and i changed the date back. 

Restarted and BAM back to please wait screen.  Went back to safe mode, and changed the date back to June 13 and everythings working again now except when i try to update microsoft essentials it doesnt work (because of the wrong date?) Do I have to keep the old date?  Anything I can do? 

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Hmm i think i worded myself wrong. I have one care removed, and have not done a system restore at all. So One Care is out, but i cant find the specified certificates or folders.

I think ill try this whole process again...shall report back if it worked or not soon.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:31 PM
  • update:

After vista still wouldnt load i went into safemode and changed the date again but this time checked my startup in msconfig one more time.  Even though i had uninstalled and cleaned OC out of my system, there was still something check for it at startup.  I disabled and now I am good to go...date is back correct, have started several times just to be sure and every things as its in order!  Thanks so much to everyone for your help!

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Update:

Yeah im sorted as well! 

I simply system restored back to WHEN One care was still installed. Then i followed the instructions outlined in the thread and found the appropriate folders etc.

Rebooted twice now, and it seems to be working fine! Ive removed one care and installed MSE now!

Thanks for all the help and this thread people!

I think the problem with me was I removed One Care then searched the certificates and couldnt find the right one. So i recommend people dont clean it using the tool in safe mode before doing the certificate steps!

Thanks for all the help! :)

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Anyone, how do I enable hidden folders?
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:11 AM
  • I'm vista

Heck I don't even see a prgramdata...only program Files and Program Files (x86)

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:25 AM
  • OK, here is my update.  I was one of the ones that had uninstalled before trying to do the certificate thing.  I could not find the winss certificate as I mentioned and everytime I went back to todays date I had the same problem.  Finally I thought…what the heck…did a system restore back to a prior date (I think 7-10-10) and walaa…for the first time I actually saw the little vista orb (mine had a start rectangle ever since this started happening).  I went in and sure enough one care was there, did all the steps is the bulletin (except I still cant find that hidden file – cant even find the programdata file).  I seem to be working, but I know I am still not 100% because I have the rectangle instead of the vista orb and every thing is white not black (background behind side bar etc.).  So, I don’t know if that is because of the hidden file or not.  OH, and I do have a service report or whatever it is called in with Microsoft one care, but it is now 10:31 and an OS specialist was supposed to call between 8-10!  An OS specialist because Mohammed couldn’t help me….  I knew I was in trouble with him when he tried to tell me he couldn’t help me because my subscription was expired….Like HELLO…do you know that one care has ended….OK, I get it (I’ll play your fricken game), renew my subscription right now so you can help me!!! OH, and wondering how I even got past the busy signal being transferred to technical support……go to billing and then say…oh, I pushed the wrong button.  Can you connect me to tech support!!!!!  Good luck to all…
    Friday, July 23, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Rayca2, are you looking for the microsoft one care folder to delete?

If so, its in Program Data, not program files.

Program Datas a hidden folder, so 

1.) Start, click on control panel

2.) Folder Options

3.) Click on the View Tab

4.) Then click on "Hidden files and folders- Show hidden files and folders"

5.) And also uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types, hide operating system protected files"

6.) Then go to C folder manually, and it should be there.

I think this should work if youre looking for that folder. Im sure someone more experienced will be here soon to help you out and others who are having problems. Hope this is useful!

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Aknav, I deleted Rayca2's post as it is a duplicate and has nothing to do with the removal of OneCare.

-steve

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Anyone, how do I enable hidden folders?

Open Windows Explorer.

Click on Tools/Folder Options/View

You'll see the option to show Hidden files and folders as a radio button. The default is "Don't show"

-steve

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Steve and Aknav, this worked for me :-)....thank you all.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I just wanted to say THANK YOU...after having to format one laptop, i finally found this fix and it worked first try! you are a genious!! and Microsoft should be reimbursing those of us not so techy for having to pay someone to fix there MISTAKES...anyway...up and running again so THANKS SO MUCH!
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Had the same problem as the others on July 11. 

One care unresponsive message, no welcome screen, no access to files.

Did not have time to do anything as I left for South Africa.

Upon return tried to restore but unsuccessful.

Felt I could wipe computer and reinstall programs as I have WD Backup.

Did not realize that back up was tied to one care and I can not access my back up files apparently with out one care.

Now I am getting real nervous about next step to take and if I truly have a back up.

It shows 120 gigs of data so I am hopeful as this contains all my photos for several years. 

I assume I will have to reinstall one step and hopefully can access backup.

help!

Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:59 PM
  • The funny thing about all this is I blamed my 3 boys for getting a virus on my computer. I ran Malware bytes and came up with 294 infected files. But having same symptoms as everyone else. The amazing thing is that firefox worked perfectly fine. But not IE, Windows live one care. And when I logged into my account, I just got blue screen. I tried your suggestions and I am able to connect finally with IE.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:34 AM