disk names like WDC WD10 EACS-00ZJB0 000000... RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a silly question, but it's been bugging me.

I have a homebuilt WHS running three WD Caviar Green drives under AHCI. It works fine.

But the Server Storage console page shows the drive names as

WDC WD10 EACS-00ZJB0 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

(more or less, I didn't count the zeroes.) Looks kinda goofy.

But on the Media Center console there are so many zeros that they over write the spave and space free fields making them unreadable.

Is this typical? Is there a workaround to use a sane name? or hack?

Thanks for any thoughts?

Monday, March 15, 2010 12:28 AM

Answers

• Funny, I opened regedit and it was pointed to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes... I dunno why I didn't see Disks. I think I'll trim those; it'll probably show back up sooner or later.

Here's a sample:

WDC WD10 EACS-00ZJB0 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

That's a LOT of zeroes.

I think I'll screenshot the Media Center and open an item on Connect before I make the reg hacks.

I'm long since past worrying about doing unsupported stuff on WHS. Seems like most everything I've ever done with it was "unsupported". And I haven't done all that much.

Thanks to all for posting.

Scratch that: Collin has already bugged it and MS has already said they won't fix it. Bug ID is 476240. I could open a case and they'll ask for another hour or so of CAB collection and Media Center diags and so on or they'll just tie it to the one they've already said they won't fix.
    • Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:02 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:48 AM

All replies

• It's a question of how your hardware, BIOS, and drivers report disk information, Dick; the string the console displays is pulled together from a couple of pieces of information elsewhere in the registry. Changing that information isn't supported within Windows Home Server, I'm afraid. You could take a look at the Disk Management add-in, though...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:28 AM
  • You should raise a bug on connect for Windows Home Server as the Media Center plugin should be careful not to write over the drive values.
    --
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Similar issue like this. I have 2 old Samsung HD400LD installed. I had 1 installed when installing whs, and added the 2nd after everything was running. The 2nd one is shown like mentioned above but with the drive Serial Number 30535841314a4c47303737363935202020202020.
    As the drives are identical, I believe there's something with how whs identify new drives when added. This is a good thing when trying to figure out which drive to remove, but I really don't see why the S/N should be a part of the drive name.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:49 AM
    This is a good thing when trying to figure out which drive to remove, but I really don't see why the S/N should be a part of the drive name.
    The question is it's own answer, isn't it? The S/N is usually the only unique identifier on the outside of a drive; if you have identical drives it's the only way you'll be able to figure out which is which. It's not infallible (the S/N on the drive may not match what the OS detects, or there may be nothing on the outside of the drive, for example), but it's better than nothing.

Monday, March 15, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Having had the time to dig into this: you can do this manually (though it's unsupported as I said). The registry key you need to edit is:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx\Attributes

There will be one for each disk in the storage pool.

Monday, March 15, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Funny, I opened regedit and it was pointed to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes... I dunno why I didn't see Disks. I think I'll trim those; it'll probably show back up sooner or later.

Here's a sample:

WDC WD10 EACS-00ZJB0 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

That's a LOT of zeroes.

I think I'll screenshot the Media Center and open an item on Connect before I make the reg hacks.

I'm long since past worrying about doing unsupported stuff on WHS. Seems like most everything I've ever done with it was "unsupported". And I haven't done all that much.

Thanks to all for posting.

Scratch that: Collin has already bugged it and MS has already said they won't fix it. Bug ID is 476240. I could open a case and they'll ask for another hour or so of CAB collection and Media Center diags and so on or they'll just tie it to the one they've already said they won't fix.
    • Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:02 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Having had the time to dig into this: you can do this manually (though it's unsupported as I said). The registry key you need to edit is:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx\Attributes

There will be one for each disk in the storage pool.

Changing it doesn't seem to survive a reboot.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:43 PM
  • When I changed it on my dev system and rebooted I couldn't get storage manager to start.  Thankfully I made a VM snapshot.

I would advise anyone who is attempting to play with these entries to only do so on a Development machine or if you are happy to do a Server Recovery if it goes wrong.

--
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:41 PM