none
ASIO (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• BeelMon posted on 02-08-2009 9:14 AM

Hi Dan,

Congratulations to you and your team for a powerful, fun, and very useful songwriting technology. Its beauty is in its simplicity. I think musicians of all levels will swarm around Songsmith and buy it, but I think it is absolutely necessary to suppot ASIO devices. With computer recording and virtual instruments plug ins, most, if not all, interface devices are ASIO based. Not being technically savvy on the software build side of things, I don't know what is involved in bringing ASIO compatibility into the Songsmith architecture. Since ASIO has become an off the shelf technology, I hope this will be accomplished and made part of Songsmith. I love the program, and, the fact that everyone now has a shot at song creation and expression.

All together now....,

BeelMon

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

• Qfactor replied on 03-12-2009 8:37 PM

geetarman,

ASIO is an external driver that you'd have to install in your PC. Hence, if you've never done this before on your PC, then it's definite that your PC doesn't have ASIO functionality in it.

A free ASIO driver can be downloaded and installed at www.asio4all.com.

Hope this helps.

QF

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• dmorris replied on 02-11-2009 2:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions... moving to ASIO will be a significant amount of work for us, but you're right that unfortunately some "pro audio" devices don't have great support for DirectSound and are effectively "ASIO only".  This is something we'll keep on our radar if we do a major revision.  For now, I encourage pro-audio-device users to go ahead and try Songsmith with your preferred device: I estimate it will work fine with 90% of "pro-audio devices".  If you have problems, I recommend flipping over to a built-in sound card - if you have one - for Songsmith, presumably the same device you use for your everyday Windows sound.  This is what I do; I have a Firewire device for home studio work, and a plain-old Realtek built-in card for Windows audio.  I use the Realtek device for Songsmith and it works great.

Thanks for your suggestions... have fun with Songsmith!

-Dan

• geetarman replied on 03-12-2009 3:56 PM

I've been busy reading a lot of the posts prior to firing up my trial version of Songsmith (that and I need to wait for some free time this weekend).  I see ASIO mentioned a lot.  How can I tell if I have ASIO on my PC?  I'm looking forward to seeing how Songsmith generates the chords on a few songs I wrote "the old fashion way" (with my guitar and a lot of trial and error).

Thanks

• Qfactor replied on 03-12-2009 8:37 PM

geetarman,

ASIO is an external driver that you'd have to install in your PC. Hence, if you've never done this before on your PC, then it's definite that your PC doesn't have ASIO functionality in it.

A free ASIO driver can be downloaded and installed at www.asio4all.com.

Hope this helps.

QF

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:36 PM