reduced funtionality with Vista after updates last night RRS feed

• Question

• After Windows automatically downloaded updates last night upon shut down, and after two update install reboots, I noticed I had reduced functionality with Windows.  Similar to other threads I have read, no control panel, games, etc.  I also lost my activation for Windows and it will not allow me to re-activate at all.   I have tried using Start>slui.exe 4 and it responds with the same error: 0x80070426, service not started. 

On the side, my resident spybot program is telling me a registry change wants to be made; Category: Winlogon Notifiers; Change: Value Added; Entry: WgaLogon.  Would this be due to new updates?

My MGA Diag. Tool Log:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7J78G-2288T-XKKRY
    Windows Product Key Hash: RuwkAgub/ZgxY1Zazok2AaVn7B0=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7233051-92293
    Windows Product ID Type: 8
    Windows License Type: COA SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {2E82ECA2-E81D-4C9B-BD87-95B92040F96A}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2920-80070002_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2E82ECA2-E81D-4C9B-BD87-95B92040F96A}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XKKRY</PKey><PID>89572-OEM-7233051-92293</PID><PIDType>8</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4051164107-3329428957-2714053232</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Presario C500 (GE602AV#ABA)       </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.25</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070907000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>08323507018400DE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Edit:  I just wanted to add that I just tried the Command Prompt net start slsvc and it tells me the service was started successfully, however when I go to activate Windows through Windows Activation I get the same error code:  0x80074426.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hello again Badger555,

The core of the issue is the error code 0x80070426. This error code means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped running. Vista uses this Service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service stops, Vista can't confirm it's own Genuine status, so it defaults to Non-Genuine (or just acts unstable). My deep apologizes, I misread your post. I though you had already tried the below steps. That is why I originally suggested the above steps.

Please try the below steps. They are the manual command to force start the Software Licensing Service. If you receive any errors after you enter the net start slsvc command or if the Service does start, but then stops at some point later on, my suggestion would be to follow up with service request that you already have open with Vista Support, since, at that point, the issue is most likly a deeper Vista issue.

If you have acces to the Start button:

1) Click the Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net start slsvc

6) Hit enter key

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit Enter key

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hello badger555,

On the side, my resident spybot program is telling me a registry change wants to be made; Category: Winlogon Notifiers; Change: Value Added; Entry: WgaLogon.  Would this be due to new updates?

If you installed Vista Updates and spybot is now asking you to allow a Registry Entry, to be added, I would say yes, let it be added. Installing update do, on occasion, add/change Registry Entries and by not allowing the Registry Entry be added, you potentially risk OS instability (maybe even making Vista show as Non-Genuine?).  In addition, Just like it’s a good idea to disable anti-virus programs while installing new programs, I would suggest that when you install updates, that you temporarily disable spybot since some updates require some things to be added in a specific order and if spybot is stopping the addition of a file or a registry, the update may not install correctly.

Please follow the steps below. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

3) Find the file cmd.exe

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Please tell me how this worked for you.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Hello, Darin, and thank you for your response. 
    I will make sure to keep Spybot resident off while installing from now on.

I attempted the first procedure and got the same error message when trying to re-activate. 

I then attempted the second procedure with the same results.

Same limited funtionality. 

I have a request in to Microsoft Tech Dept, but as of this moment, have not heard from them yet.

Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Hello again Badger555,

The core of the issue is the error code 0x80070426. This error code means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped running. Vista uses this Service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service stops, Vista can't confirm it's own Genuine status, so it defaults to Non-Genuine (or just acts unstable). My deep apologizes, I misread your post. I though you had already tried the below steps. That is why I originally suggested the above steps.

Please try the below steps. They are the manual command to force start the Software Licensing Service. If you receive any errors after you enter the net start slsvc command or if the Service does start, but then stops at some point later on, my suggestion would be to follow up with service request that you already have open with Vista Support, since, at that point, the issue is most likly a deeper Vista issue.

If you have acces to the Start button:

1) Click the Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit enter key

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser

3) Find the file cmd.exe

6) Hit Enter key

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Thank you for your response, Darin.

You did not misread my message, I had tried these two steps before posting opening message.

I will continue to wait for a response from Microsoft.  I appreciated your help and time, thank you. Smile

Have a nice weekend.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:47 PM