Why dont all fields appear in form? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using CRM2011, I was hoping someone could offer me some help please or point me in the correct direction.  I'm currently looking at Service in CRM and when selecting the contact I want to display both the contact and the parent company.  Currently when i select the contact it only displays the contact.

Another thing I'm not sure but why is the field explorer on the right not displaying all fields?  I thought it would be as simple as me locating the parent company field on the right and adding it to the form, but some of the fields do not display?   But when i look at another form say Account for example it displays all fields? 

Many thanks.

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

About the fields on the form, you could easily add or remove the parent customer field to the contact (if it is not there on the form). About displaying all of the fields at the right hand side bar, check the box (Show the used fields also) to see all of the fields of that entity to put them on the form.

My Weblog | My Website

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

About the fields on the form, you could easily add or remove the parent customer field to the contact (if it is not there on the form). About displaying all of the fields at the right hand side bar, check the box (Show the used fields also) to see all of the fields of that entity to put them on the form.

My Weblog | My Website

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:46 PM
  • The fields on a Case are not the same as those on a Contact or an Account, so the list will be different for every type of record.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hi thanks for your response, would it be possible to the have fields on the account form the same as the one on a case? or is this not possible?
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:02 AM
  • In short no, but why would you ever want to?

A Case records information about a piece of work you need to do (to fix a problem, or perform some service). An Account records information about a company. A Contact records data about an individual person, one or more of which might work for each Account.

Would you need to record on every Case how many employees the customer Account has, or what their turnover is, their gender, or their marketing opt-in preferences?

On an Account or Contact, how could you sensibly record what type of problem they are having, if they might have many different Cases logged over the lifetime of their interactions with you?

If you are looking at a Case, the Account or Contact information is one click away if you need it for reference. From an Account you can see a list of all their active (or closed) Cases if you need that.

I think you need to go back and look at what you are trying to use CRM for in relation to your business processes, and who needs what data when.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Thanks Adam,

Well we have been looking around for a helpdesk type system, where we can log and track all calls logged from our customers.  We did look at the various options available outside of CRM but nothing really suited us.  I've had a look at the cases and felt like with a little tweaking it would be the best option - another advantage is the fact that our accounts and contacts are already in the database so we wouldnt need to import them into another helpdesk.

We dont want to record all number of employees of a company, just the contact and the company of the person who is logging the call.

I'm still thinking if using the cases would be the best method, looking at it now its more or less perfect if we could had a few more fields.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:30 AM
  • You can easily add a few more fields, just don't try to replicate everything from Accounts.

Quite a common customisation is to add a lookup field for the Account separately from the Customer, so the customer field stores the Contact who reported a problem, or with whom you are dealing, and the Account shows the company they work for. You can easily use cross-filtering to make these easy to fill in, and/or use something like a workflow so if only the Contact is completed it can add in their company on the Case automatically.

Other fields to categorise Cases, record dates for follow-up or expected completion etc all make good sense too.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Hi, currently i click on customer below and find the contact, so would you recommend adding another field which would be the company and once the customer is selected the company get filled in automatically?  I think that would make the most sense.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Yes, exactly

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Many thanks for your help Adam.  I have created the a new field on the cases form called companyname, i've gone into processes and created a new workflow called showcompany and set the primary entity as cases,

I thought the change recrord status would give me the option to select the new field i have created but its not available in the drop down box? all your help is very much appreciated.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:24 PM