Only one page Indexed and no more RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get the website http://fotoforfree.com.au listed and in Webmaster Tools, it says I only have 1 page indexed. Its been this way for ages and doesnt seem to want to go anywhere.

I have uploaded a sitemap.xml.gz and I am not aware of any problems. The sitemap works with google and yahoo.

The same website is listed through google and yahoo and is doing very well on those search engines.

Is there anything I should be doing that Im not aware of?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please review our Guidelines for successful indexing to ensure that you are not doing anything that would get your site blocked or penalized.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Okay then. Thats a start.

I've just gone through the Guidelines you have outlined in order to work out a reason for why my site is only getting its front page indexed.

The only conclusion I can come up with would be:
       * Keep your URLs simple and static.
       - I am using POST variables in my url string for some pages? Do you support this?

Looking over the forums, I've noticed that this is a common problem and that Im not the only one who has asked this question. Any suggestions for a resolve?

I dont see anything documented in your help files that indicates anything which I haven't already done.

You gave advice to one guy regarding his front page being a 'Landing Page' and lacking content. Im not sure if any of that relates to my situation. I have little 'text' but have lots of photos and images so? Given that I am a photo website, I think that makes sense?

If its a crawler _bug_ then I can accept that and wait until you guys fix your crawler. If, as a webmaster, I need to be doing something _specific_ then shouldnt that be documented somewhere or explained clearly? I find the documentation to be really vague. Im listed with Google, Yahoo, Ask so I cant imagine what I need to do to my website in order to fix this. I honestly have no idea.

Nevertheless, Im happy to make certain modifications to my website if know what they are?

I'll need more intervention with this one. If its a question thats being asked all the time (as it seems to be) then why not put the answer in some sort of online FAQ or documentation thats easily accessible to others coming from other search engines.

So, standard procedure failed, once again, your help would be appreciated.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:40 PM
  • When I went to your website, it was very slow to respond.  (I don't know where it's hosted; I'm in Canada.)

My understanding is that the Live search bot will give up after waiting 10 seconds for a response.  I believe they are trying to extend the waiting period, but I'm not sure they've done this yet.  Maybe this is contributing to the problem.

Another thing.  The recommendation seems to be to canonicalize your domain name.  This seems to be a general guideline that will keep you from losing "link juice".  (Yahoo! picked up a couple of links to the www. domain name.)

... Duane

Monday, September 15, 2008 1:01 AM