Stupid questions Software/hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

may I ask a very stupid question? I can't understand from the website if this is a fully functional OS. Can I install softwares like MS Sql Server Express? If I have some hardware+driver compatible with Windows Server 2003, can I use them on the server?

thanks
    Charles
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is built on Windows Server 2003, so in theory anything you can do with that OS can also be done with Windows Home Server. However, WHS uses the hardware and software available to it in relatively novel ways; using it as a general purpose server may cause problems with WHS functionality, and some of the things that WHS do make it difficult to certain things (for example, WHS sets C: at 20 GB, with no way to change it). In addition, it's designed to be run in a "headless" mode, with no desktop access at all.

So if you're looking for a general purpose server OS, Windows Home Server may not be suitable. I would say that you might want to order the eval version, which will run for 120 days, and try it out in a lab environment to see if it will meet your needs.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is built on Windows Server 2003, so in theory anything you can do with that OS can also be done with Windows Home Server. However, WHS uses the hardware and software available to it in relatively novel ways; using it as a general purpose server may cause problems with WHS functionality, and some of the things that WHS do make it difficult to certain things (for example, WHS sets C: at 20 GB, with no way to change it). In addition, it's designed to be run in a "headless" mode, with no desktop access at all.

So if you're looking for a general purpose server OS, Windows Home Server may not be suitable. I would say that you might want to order the eval version, which will run for 120 days, and try it out in a lab environment to see if it will meet your needs.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

The only two things I need from this server is to run an SQL server and to be able to do back ups using a DAT writer. I'm just wondering if I have to use the WHS console how I am going to install them.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:01 PM
  • If I understand correctly, you're not interested in any of the features of Windows Home Server itself, and you're looking to do things that aren't "supported" and won't be easily implemented (or implemented at all, probably, in the case of backing up the shares to a DAT drive). Windows Home Server is not intended to be Windows Server 2003 (or even WS2K3 Lite), so I think you're going to be much better off with a general purpose server operating system.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Well there's one thing I like in WHS is this ability to make all the drives working like a single drive from the outside without the need for a RAID, which looses data on all drives if one fails. WS 2003 will be more expensive and lacks this feature.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Hi,
    WHS, while being an OS in it's own right, has been set up to do a specific job - provide backups and centralised storage for a domestic framework with little or no technical knowledge.
    The System partition is fixed at 20GB on installation. This, along with the WHS disk structure can result in limiations on what else can be installed.
    Apart from the Console, the only other way to access the server is via RDP. However, unless you know exactly what you are doing, this can lead to anything up to total loss of your server as the underlaying Server 2003 tools/options do not recognise the WHS portion and so can cause great problems.

Around the web,there are a few tutorials on how people have installed other programs, so you may well find some suitable info.
    To help, there is quite a lot of WHS documentation available here, or here.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:37 PM
  • I'll have a look. Thanks!
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:38 PM