How do / Can I AUTOMATICALLY Sort Route Planner Addresses into Alphabetical Order After Input? RRS feed

• Question

• How do / Can I AUTOMATICALLY Sort Route Planner Addresses into Alphabetical Order After Input?  I know how to do it manually but it's a real pain with longer routes...  Thanks!
    Saturday, September 7, 2013 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi BNC - I don't believe you can sort stops alphabetically when they've been added to ROUTE PLANNER.  You can OPTIMIZE stops - but not sort alphabetically.

I'm curious however as to your ultimate goal....can I ask what benefit you get from sorting them alphabetically in Route Planner?  You don't route to them in Alphabetical order - do you?

Just asking in case there is another way to solve the problem....

Keith O'Brien My Point...Exactly, LLC

Monday, September 9, 2013 12:32 AM
  • I'm curious as well. This sounds like something my MPRouteWriter could do - but more "by accident" as it was designed to work a little differently...

If you are using MapPoint, you could install our MPRouteWriter from http://www.routewriter.com    (sorry, Streets&Trips does not support add-ins like this).

The "MPRouteReader" part of MPRouteWriter creates a route from pushpins using a pre-specified order. Typically these pushpins will be imported from Excel,Access, etc. The required order is specified in an imported data field - typically a sequence number. It works with text as well as numbers though.

Simply double up the "Name" column in your input data and give the new "name" column a different name - perhaps "SortedName"?

Then import in to MapPoint and use MPRouteReader to create a route from these pushpins, sorting the pins (=waypoints) by "SortedName".

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Monday, September 9, 2013 1:01 PM