Remote desktop, notification about PC in use won't show on one of the PCs. RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot use remote desktop from my desktop PC to control my netbook, because a notification window about computer in use won't show, therefore I can't choose whether to Allow or Deny the request. After while I can hear the 'ding' sound on the netbook  and the window on the connecting desktop PC closes. When I try to do this the other way round (netbook -> PC), everything works as it should, a notification window appears and remote desktop is shown.

I tried adding/removing PCs from the Mesh, re/installing, repairing, to no avail.

What shall I do?

Sunday, June 6, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Are you running Vista and/or Windows 7 on all machines in your Mesh? If so, you can install the Windows Live Wave 4 beta that was just released. It will require that you uninstall Live Mesh.

When Wave 4 of Windows Live Final is released, the existing Live Mesh infrastructure will likely be retired sometime thereafter, though nothing has been announced yet, nor do we know when Wave 4 will be released.
    See: 
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/10/coming-soon-windows-live-sync-beta.aspx

You would need both machines on the same version as the two environments are not mix and match. Your folders would need to be set up for Sync again and your Live Desktop files on www.mesh.com will not be lost, nor will they move to the new SkyDrive Sync folders.

If you are willing, it may be worth a shot. I assume that there are logs that might reveal what is happening on connection to the netbook, but I don't know what to tell you to look for.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by Ondr3j Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:54 PM

All replies

• I'm unclear about the fact that you are not getting the notification window. In my experience, I initiate the Remote Desktop session from a PC to any other PC in my Mesh that is available. It matters not if the PC is locked, logged in, or displaying the logged in desktop. Live Mesh initiates the session and after a short delay allows me to log in. The notification on the remote PC is for when someone might be using that PC so that they can deny the remote session (or allow it). Ignoring the prompt allows by default.

I suspect, perhaps, that there may be a display driver issue at play (on the netbook).

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I'm unclear about the fact that you are not getting the notification window. In my experience, I initiate the Remote Desktop session from a PC to any other PC in my Mesh that is available. It matters not if the PC is locked, logged in, or displaying the logged in desktop. Live Mesh initiates the session and after a short delay allows me to log in. The notification on the remote PC is for when someone might be using that PC so that they can deny the remote session (or allow it). Ignoring the prompt allows by default.

I suspect, perhaps, that there may be a display driver issue at play (on the netbook).

-steve

The thing is, after that short delay the session window on my desktop PC closes with a *ding* sound, without connecting. Even if I was using the netbook, I wouldn't get either the notification on my PC about computer in use or the notification on my netbook about an attempt to connect to it. It's as if the request never arrives on the netbook.

I am positive that there are no display drivers issue at play, but I will try reinstalling and using an older driver, though.

I'm even more puzzled because it used to work flawlessly couple of months back, but sadly I am not aware of any major change in the system that would cause this.

Also, I confirmed with a third PC that both netbook and desktop can initiate and accept remote desktop connections perfectly, only they can't connect between themselves in direction PC->netbook.

EDIT: I recorded the behaviour of the desktop PC with default Problem Steps Recorder found in Windows 7 64-bit HP. I started recording at the same time on the netbook as well, but I believe the Recorder found nothing worth recording, since I wasn't offered to save the recording. I hope this helps. Download here.

• Edited by Ondr3j Friday, June 11, 2010 3:06 PM Added recording.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply - I've been away the past 2 weeks. Are you still encountering this problem?

-steve

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Yes, the issue is still present.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I'm wondering if this is a display driver issue with the netbook. Basically, you should not have to deal with the prompt on the netbook itself, if you don't respond, Live Mesh presents the login screen to you remotely. If you are not getting the login prompt or the notice on the netbook about a connection being requested, but you hear the ding on the netbook, suggests to me that something on the netbook is preventing the display.

-steve

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Yes indeed. The question remains what could that 'something' be, I've tried reinstalling the gfx driver twice, mesh itself two times, anything I could think of. Is there possibly some kind of generated event when things fail that I am overlooking? To my puzzlement, as I've stated previously, remote desktop works on the netbook flawlessly when initiated from a different PC. The only thing I am not willing to do just yet is to reinstall my Windows 7.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Are you running Vista and/or Windows 7 on all machines in your Mesh? If so, you can install the Windows Live Wave 4 beta that was just released. It will require that you uninstall Live Mesh.

When Wave 4 of Windows Live Final is released, the existing Live Mesh infrastructure will likely be retired sometime thereafter, though nothing has been announced yet, nor do we know when Wave 4 will be released.
    See: 
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/10/coming-soon-windows-live-sync-beta.aspx

You would need both machines on the same version as the two environments are not mix and match. Your folders would need to be set up for Sync again and your Live Desktop files on www.mesh.com will not be lost, nor will they move to the new SkyDrive Sync folders.

If you are willing, it may be worth a shot. I assume that there are logs that might reveal what is happening on connection to the netbook, but I don't know what to tell you to look for.

-steve

• Marked as answer by Ondr3j Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Thank you, Steve, I muchly appreciate your effort.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit english Home Premium on both machines.

I will try installing the Live Wave 4 and report back later.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Please do report back. It does not explain what the cause of the issue is, but I'm hopeful that the improvements made in the new beta will have addressed it.

-steve

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Well, I succesfully installed the latest Live Wave on the desktop, but I failed to do so on the netbook, which gave me this:

An unknown error occured.
    Error: 0x80040705
    Source: MeshBetaRemover

Get Help.

The help it was referring to wasn't any help at all.

I'm at loss of what to do. Looks like my install of Live Mesh is borked in some way on the netbook.

EDIT: I removed registry keys suggested in a different thread and was able to uninstall Live Mesh properly,  install Live Wave 4 and now I can finally connect to my netbook and vice versa. I'm happy.

Thank you, Steve.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Excellent news and thanks for sticking with it!

I have to wonder if the failure to uninstall properly might have been part of the initial issue. No matter, though, since you're now up and running on the latest beta.

-steve

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:13 PM