Problems synchronazing a new folder in the "live desktop" with local PC. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created a new folder in my live desktop and I uploaded a few PDF files to this folder.
    When I wanted to synchronize my live desktop with my local PC, I didn't see any new folders created on my desktop.
    I tried to create a folder with the same name on my PC, but this didn't help. I think things got slightly worse because in the "live mesh folders" this folder still exists, even though I deleted it from my PC and my live desktop.
    I appreciate if someone can tell me how to synchronize a new folder created in the live desktop with my local PC.
    Thank you very much.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:05 PM

Answers

• When you create a new folder on the Live Desktop, it will be offered as a Live Mesh folder on your devices - as a light blue folder on the local PC desktop. When you click the light blue icon, you can accept the offered folder which will cause it to become a darker blue folder on the PC desktop or you can click browse to merge it with an existing folder on the PC.
    If the folder is not automatically offered and you are signed in, check the properties of the folder on the Live Desktop and make sure that the sync settings are to sync with the device you wish to sync with.
    If you create a folder on the PC and select to add it to your Mesh, it is a new folder in your Mesh and will be uploaded to the Live Desktop  and be offered to your other PCs until you change the sync settings for the folder.
    If the PC appears in Live Mesh Folders on the local PC, it isn't gone. It is probably in the Recycle Bin. So, restore that folder and it will appear on the Live Desktop if it doesn't already - or remove the local folder from the Mesh after restoring it by right clicking it and selecting Live Mesh options/Sync options and selecting "never with this device". Once the fodler turns yellow you can delete it from the local PC. Verify that the folder does not exist on the Live Desktop. If it does, remove it.
    Now, you can either create a new local folder and add it to your mesh using the right click Add to Mesh option or by creating a folder on the Live Desktop. The former is easier and files added to the folder will automatically upload to the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Try dropping the firewall and see what happens. If the folder is still not offered locally, reboot the PC and wait a few minutes after Live Mesh signs in. If it still does not offer the folder, try uninstalling and reinstalling Live Mesh on the affected PC.

If you add a folder to the Mesh on the local PC using the right click option, does the folder appear on the Live Desktop?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by Rolator Friday, November 20, 2009 8:33 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• When you create a new folder on the Live Desktop, it will be offered as a Live Mesh folder on your devices - as a light blue folder on the local PC desktop. When you click the light blue icon, you can accept the offered folder which will cause it to become a darker blue folder on the PC desktop or you can click browse to merge it with an existing folder on the PC.
    If the folder is not automatically offered and you are signed in, check the properties of the folder on the Live Desktop and make sure that the sync settings are to sync with the device you wish to sync with.
    If you create a folder on the PC and select to add it to your Mesh, it is a new folder in your Mesh and will be uploaded to the Live Desktop  and be offered to your other PCs until you change the sync settings for the folder.
    If the PC appears in Live Mesh Folders on the local PC, it isn't gone. It is probably in the Recycle Bin. So, restore that folder and it will appear on the Live Desktop if it doesn't already - or remove the local folder from the Mesh after restoring it by right clicking it and selecting Live Mesh options/Sync options and selecting "never with this device". Once the fodler turns yellow you can delete it from the local PC. Verify that the folder does not exist on the Live Desktop. If it does, remove it.
    Now, you can either create a new local folder and add it to your mesh using the right click Add to Mesh option or by creating a folder on the Live Desktop. The former is easier and files added to the folder will automatically upload to the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Thank you very much for your quick response.

I created the new folder in the live desktop, and I set the sync settings to "When files are added or modified" for this folder in the live desktop (this for both my PC and live desktop). I still can't see the light blue folder on my desktop (I'm using Vista SP1, home edition. Using Comodo firewall and AVG anti virus).
    When I go to the "live mesh folder" in my PC (after I sign in to live mesh service on my PC), I can see all the folders that are in the live desktop, except the new folder that was created in the live desktop. When I log out of the service on my PC and from the live desktop and log in again to both, I still can't see this new folder that was created in the live desktop.
    Maybe this is why I don't see the light blue folder on my PC desktop.
    Could it be a problem with Comodo firewall?
    Thank you again for your help.
    Matt
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Try dropping the firewall and see what happens. If the folder is still not offered locally, reboot the PC and wait a few minutes after Live Mesh signs in. If it still does not offer the folder, try uninstalling and reinstalling Live Mesh on the affected PC.

If you add a folder to the Mesh on the local PC using the right click option, does the folder appear on the Live Desktop?
    -steve
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes. When I add a folder to the Mesh in my local PC it appears in the live desktop. When I update a file on my local PC, it is immediately updated in the live desktop (couldn't be happier with this feature).
    I'll try to do what you suggested and I'll update the thread after that.
    Thanks,

Matt
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Hello again,

I re-installed the Live mesh software on my PC, and the new folder appears in my desktop as it should. After adding another new folder in the Live desktop, it appeared on my local PC desktop too. I can also see both folders in the "Live Mesh Folders".
    I have two more question:
    1) When I created the two new folders in the Live desktop, I immidiatly set them to sync with my local PC. They appeared in the local PC desktop, but as dark blue and not in bright blue color. This is logic. My question is: if I want to delete them from my PC desktop and my Live desktop, should I first delete them from my live desktop? Should I first change their sync setting to "never with this device"? * in this case, I can't change the location of the folder in the sync setting.
    2) When I don't set the sync of the new folder in the live desktop to sync with my local PC, the folder does appear on my PC desktop as bright blue. If I don't want it to sync with my PC, should I just delete it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Matt
    • Unmarked as answer by Rolator Friday, November 20, 2009 8:33 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Hello,

I read your answer above and it solved my questions.
    Thank you for all your help and patience.
    Best regards,

Matt.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:35 AM
  • You're welcome.
    -steve

Friday, November 20, 2009 2:17 PM