Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook Configuration failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Have a little problem with configuration of Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook.

On 32-bit Vista everything works fine. But when 64-bit Vista used have a problem with configuration:

screen appears. And End of log file:

11:18:37|  Error| Configuration exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.InstallPstAction failed. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004010F): LaunchOutlookInstallerProcess failed.
       в System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.InstallPstAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       --- Конец трассировки внутреннего стека исключений ---
       в Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.ComposedInstaller.InternalInstall(IDictionary stateSaver)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.ComposedInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.ClientConfig.Install(IDictionary data)
       в Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.ClientConfig.Run()
    11:18:37|Verbose| Configuration Failed
    11:18:37|   Info| We were unable to successfully configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook:

Action Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.InstallPstAction failed.
    LaunchOutlookInstallerProcess failed.

I will be appreciated for any help.
    Truth is opened the prepared mind My blog - http://a33ik.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:32 PM

Answers

• The installpstaction failing sometimes indicates that Outlook has not been opened at least once prior to configuration or, if this is an upgraded client, the old PST still exists.  This does not appear to be an issue of Vista not support the 32-bit program, because you indicate the error is during configuration, which can only begin after a successful installation.

Further, the media center edition of XP is not supported because media center pcs cannot be joined to a domain, which was necessary for CRM 3.0 Outlook clients.  If connecting only to an IFD or CRM online, you should be able to use media center pc.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Andriy,

the Outlook Client is a 32bit application, 64bit is not supportet.

on my client, a windows server 2008 64 bit works the outllo client in outllok 2007 very good, i have no problems.

Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Hi, Michael.

According to Implementation Guide for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0:

Any one of the following operating systems is required.

·         Windows Vista

·         Windows XP Professional SP2 or SP3

·         Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2 or SP3

·         Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Important

·         Windows XP Media Center Edition is not supported for installing and running Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook.

·         Because Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline Access are 32-bit applications, they must run in the Windows on Windows (WOW) system, when the application runs on a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or a Windows Vista edition that is running on an x64 computer .

I don't see why 64bit editions are not supported.

Truth is opened the prepared mind My blog - http://a33ik.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Hi Andriy,

you are right, the Outllook client is supported under x64 systems.

Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:44 PM
  • The installpstaction failing sometimes indicates that Outlook has not been opened at least once prior to configuration or, if this is an upgraded client, the old PST still exists.  This does not appear to be an issue of Vista not support the 32-bit program, because you indicate the error is during configuration, which can only begin after a successful installation.

Further, the media center edition of XP is not supported because media center pcs cannot be joined to a domain, which was necessary for CRM 3.0 Outlook clients.  If connecting only to an IFD or CRM online, you should be able to use media center pc.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:31 PM
  • There is a Microsoft KB for this error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948312.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Vista and Windows 7 require the user you are configuring the client for to be in the local administrators group. You then run the configuration guide as administrator, i.e. with elevated privilegies, in order to finish the installation (still logged on as the user you need to configure CRM for though).

None of the CRM-related patches or applications that require elevation ask for it. Some fail ungracefully - like the one above - others point out that they need to be run as administrator but does not ask for credentials.

After you have run the guide you can remove the user from the local admins group.

It is claimed that from Update Rollup 7 you don't need this workaround but I have found (just now) that to be untrue.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:52 PM
  • We've got a nice situation here:
    Running Dynamics CRM 4 rollup 2

On a new install(Running Windows 7 x86) We can not configure the outlook CRM Client, presenting us with the same error as in the topic startpost. The catch:
    There are no data files other than the exchange file. We've tried a number of things:
    1. Reinstalling the CRM client
    2. Reinstalling outlook
    3. Doing both 1 and 2
    4. Having another user sign in to the deffective machine(making it work)
    5. Having the user working on the deffective machine log on to another machine and configuring on the owrking machine(that worked)
    6. Getting a new machine with a clean instal -> number 4 failed
    What we think we could try:
    1. Reinstal the deffective machines(now multiple, as the clean instal was a spare machine), instal only the OS, Office 2007 and CRM. Configure CRM and THEN run the updates
    2. Upgrade the CRM-server to the latest rollup
    The domain user has been added to the local machine's administrator group, making it local admin.

What am I missing?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Ok, we cracked it.

We tried to config a user that did not have outlook caching enabled - therefore there is/was no OST and PST file to upgrade. This solved the problem for now.

It appears to be a bug in Outlook 2007 - I'm curious as to what would happen if we enable outlook caching at this stage.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:14 AM
  • we received the same error but the situation was slightly different.  The customer was running windows 7 on their MAC via parrellels and using office 2007.  We got the same error message that Andriy received.  We would get the error every time we would run the configuration wizard.  We tried all of the suggestions here but a simple Office repair from programs and features resolved the issue.

Thanks,
    Robert

Engage, Incorporated
    Put IT in High Gear – Engage

An SBA-Certified HUBZone Firm

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:43 PM
  • This a very common problem and here is the solution ,

the cause of this problem that you are running configwizard from the wrong directory this usually happens when installing the crm more than one time ...

for the configuration wizard to run smoothly try to run it from the following directory

"c:\users\username\Roaming\pfiles\mscrm\client\configwizard"

run the " microsoft.crm.client.config " and you will be able to over come this issue..

hope this will help speccially that most of the solutions provided previously  will not work

• Proposed as answer by Majed Al-Safi Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:19 AM
  • The issue is related with this:

lack of write permissions to this file:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF or "Program Files (x86)" for 64bit machines.

give the user permissions to write to this file and re-run the configuration and should work.

The error happens mostly due to lock down systems where users have limited permissions on the machine.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Majed, you're the man.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:50 PM
  • In my environment,

I have another one virtual box which has been installed CRM v4.0 with offline mode.
    V_Box 1 with CRM v4.0 Offline Mode which running well.
    V_Box 1 with CRM v4.o Offline Mode which running with same CrmForOutlookInstaller.exe issue.
    So, what am i do is i copied the CrmForOutlookInstaller.exe file from V_Box 1 to V_Box 2. That's work for me.
    File Location : C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\ConfigWizard\CrmForOutlookInstaller.exe

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:02 AM