WHS, Windows 7, and Remote Access to PC RRS feed

• Question

• Presently, in order to connect remotely to a computer through WHS, that computer(s) must rune Vista Ultimate.  Has there been any mention on whether Windows 7 Ultimate would be required?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:06 PM

Answers

• (edit: Professional, not Business)

The only SKUs of Windows 7 that will be reachable that way will be those that will support Remote Desktop. So Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• (edit: Professional, not Business)

The only SKUs of Windows 7 that will be reachable that way will be those that will support Remote Desktop. So Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Presently, in order to connect remotely to a computer through WHS, that computer(s) must rune Vista Ultimate.  Has there been any mention on whether Windows 7 Ultimate would be required?

In addition to what Ken said, Vista Ultimate is not the only one that works.  Vista Business and Vista Enterprise work as well.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:51 PM
  • So the Professional version will not allow for Remote Desktop??  I'm curious because I was thinking of taking advantage of the special upgrade pricing for pre-order starting tomorrow and was looking the the Pro version.

Ed
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:27 AM
  • So the Professional version will not allow for Remote Desktop??  I'm curious because I was thinking of taking advantage of the special upgrade pricing for pre-order starting tomorrow and was looking the the Pro version.

Ed

Ken meant 7 Professional (7 Business does not exist).  So to answer your question, yes 7 Pro allows Remote Desktop connections.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Thank goodness; I just ordered 3 half-price copies of 7 Professional upgrade. Have reserved October 22 as a likely day of agony!!!!

2 of these copies will replace Vista Home Premium, so I'll finally be able to connect to those 2 PCs. Will upgrade the Vista Ultimate PC last, to make sure there's at least one PC on my network I can connect to remotely.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:35 AM
  • I too have ordered copies of Windows 7 pro but I wonder will these editions be sufficient for remote desktop when the next version of WHS is released or will we be sucker punched by WHS by having to upgrade to 7 Ultimate?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:54 PM
    Ken meant 7 Professional (7 Business does not exist).
    This. Fingers got ahead of brain. :)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I too have ordered copies of Windows 7 pro but I wonder will these editions be sufficient for remote desktop when the next version of WHS is released or will we be sucker punched by WHS by having to upgrade to 7 Ultimate?

Seems to me that that is unlikely, as 7 Ultimate only appears to add BitLocker & 35 languages, according to the version charts now available. At least I hope that's true.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:36 PM
  • efjay, Remote Access requires support for incoming Remote Desktop connections in this version of Windows Home Server. So only Microsoft operating systems that can run the connector, and that offer that support, will allow incoming remote access. At the present time, that's Windows XP Professional and Media Center (32 bit only, as there's no 64 bit connector for XP), and Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate (32 and 64 bit. And Windows 7 as stated above.

As for the next version, Microsoft has not publicly announced anything about remote access, so theres nothing that anyone here can tell you.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:47 AM
  • WATCH OUT! Run the upgrade advisor before you order Windows 7. I discovered that if I wanted to migrate my 2 Vista Home Premium PCs to 7 Professional, I'd have to do a clean install, not an upgrade in place. I know a lot of people will say that's always a good idea anyway, but I don't want to spend the time reinstalling all my apps.
    And, the same is true for my PC running Vista Ultimate. The only way to upgrade in place is to spend $220 on 7 Ultimate.
    I first heard of these gotchas from the Windows Secrets Newsletter, and confirmed them with the upgrade advisor.
    I'll stick with Vista.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:26 AM