Help to remove Trojan:Win32/Alureon.gen!I RRS feed

• Question

• I am a new OneCare user and having recently turned on my laptop for the first time in a while, I remembered why I had gotten so frustrated with it. Having suspected a trojan behind the problems, I bought and installed numerous AntiSpyware applications, including Trend Micro and Bullguard. When I returned to using my laptop, I decided to try Windows OneCare and at least I got an answer this time. Windows OneCare has identified a trojan Win32/Alureon.gen!I, but cannot seem to be able to remove it. There is literally nothing I could find on the web about this particular strain of Alureon trojan, but from what I've heard they can be very hard to remove.
    Symptoms on my laptop include not being able to receive updates for Windows Update, Defender, etc.., redirecting on my firefox browser, and general slow performance of my computer. Also, and I'm not sure if this is connected with the trojan, but most times I try to remove the trojan using OneCare, my laptop blue screens, and I have to start the whole scan again. Seems to me that it's quite the coincidence!

My laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535, and I run Windows Vista Basic.
    I honestly couldn't say how long I suspect the trojan has been in my system, though it is safe to say for at least 6 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really cannot afford to buy a new laptop.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:56 AM

Answers