Exceptions RRS feed

• General discussion

• It would be an awesome for OneCare to have protection exceptions. IE, I have a satallite broadband internet, my ISP limits my bandwidth to a 30 day average, and for this reason I normally leave automatic updates set to "Notify me, but don't download or install updates" to keep huge updates (like service packs) from downloading when I'm near my top limit, otherwise my ISP will shut down my internet. Although this is a very specific example, OneCare also has problems with the Phishing Filter being turned off, this causes problems with Norton Confidencial (which I'm *not* going to uninstall as it's far more powerful than Phishing Filter) as Norton Phishing Filter and IE 7's Phishing filter constantly fight over being one and the default filter. Having things like these as catagories under the options tab would be an awesome feature and would make OneCare far more flexable.
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:01 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the comments. Your case for AU settings is pretty good. I've voiced my opinion on AU settings repeatedly, which is that I believe OneCare should only warn you when updates were found that you did not install. If it checked daily and changed the status based on days since offered, or even hours in the case of a critical update, I think OneCare's handling of AU would be much better.

The Phishing Filter, however, I can't agree with you quite as much. I think you're adding overhead to a machine by installing 3rd party applications to handle what is available with your browser when OneCare is in use. I realize that this is your choice and that you feel that the Norton product is better, but allowing a mix and match of these options makes OneCare that much more complex for the average user in my opinion, and open to more problems. Perhaps an alternative is to turn on the IE Phishing filter and then not use IE, but use a different browser that the Norton product can monitor.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:56 PM