none
New point system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I've had a problem with the reputation points. A couple of weeks ago I got 40 reputation points. Since then I've answered some questions, got some votes for being helpful and so on  and got an extra medal and my points never moved. Is that normal, I understand that the new system is a little more stringent with the points but... it doesn't sound right. I sent a couple of emails to through the feedback link and got nothing in response.

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:32 AM

Answers

• In the old system, getting new medals without point increases shouldn't have happened. But that system is now gone.

Realize that we have another update hopefully sometime tomorrow, this will account for activities between 7/7 and 7/14, so things you've done during that last week should add to your point totals.

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Pantelis44999 Friday, July 15, 2011 2:58 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:55 AM

All replies

• In the old system, getting new medals without point increases shouldn't have happened. But that system is now gone.

Realize that we have another update hopefully sometime tomorrow, this will account for activities between 7/7 and 7/14, so things you've done during that last week should add to your point totals.

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Pantelis44999 Friday, July 15, 2011 2:58 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Thanks Brent, didn't realize there was more updates coming. I thought this was it.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hi Brent
    I ask please tell me the where I can see the full documentation on the new recognition scheme, where I can see the scores of all possible ways, the weight they carry and the procedures for assessment. Thanks.
    Regards
    Jaime
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Please see blogs referenced in the very first post of this thread
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Friday, July 15, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Nahomy
    Thank you very much for your response. But after rereading all that material, I find only general generic information on the new model of recognition.
    What I'm asking is for detailed information about:  that recognition is given for each action, and as reported to be taken into account. That is, all rules that are supposed to govern us all in this new scheme.
    Jaime
    Friday, July 15, 2011 6:23 PM
  • You won't find that detail just yet Jaime. We are sharing general details about the program but giving ourselves a little bit of time to monitor and if needed tweak the system before we turn over all the details.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Sean

That was what I needed to know.

With the little I've read about all the problems that represents the implementation of a unified information management for reconnaissance, I realize the magnitude of work and related problems, is monumental.

Especially when not raised any system - to establish statistical consensus among the majority community related, on each of the hundreds of possible combinations of contribution actions that may occur. But however, we must be aware that everyone makes an effort to contribute the best way, it is important that recognition, even if those points are worthless, not mean anything more, now that the very recognition.

In my opinion, the recognition should have some effect, say, keeping the score of the awards accumulated only the last 3 years.

It would also be very rewarding to reach each ito in achievement, recognition materialize somehow, eg training grants, product licensing, granting users access to specific services, specific titles as MVP, temporary moderator, free invitation to seminars and events, etc..

Other items to consider in the matrix that are hard working guess:

Who makes the contribution:

• permanent employment.

• Temporary Employee.

• Employee Owner.

• Partner.

• MVP.

• Moderator temporary.

• Contributing to the community.

• People newly linked.

Where does:

• Forum

o What kind of contribution does:

 A new unregistered valid question in the forum.

 A new unregistered valid response in the post. Recognized by a moderator or a different user who writes the answer.

 A new unregistered valid response in the post, with input code. Recognized by a moderator or a different user who writes the answer.

 Rating Moderator answers as temporary.

 Correct transfer post between forums, Moderator temporary.

 Removing inappropriate post forums, Moderator temporary.

• Connect

o A new valid suggestion or not recorded by the product team and recognized by some of its members.

o A new bug report applies not registered by the product team and recognized by some of its members.

• Blog, Site, Gallery, SkyDrive, CodeProject, etc.

o Contents analytical or contribute to the knowledge of the product or improvement.

o Videos that provide or knowledge of any of the products.

o Formatted documents.

o Examples of descriptive writing and use product features.

o Examples that can be freely downloaded for use in learning.

o Publication of books for free distribution.

• Language of making the contribution.

Additionally, in my opinion, would be very useful in the profile of each user, additions Recent Activity  or in data grid a separate column with the points earned for each activity. This would be useful to each user can follow up on what their contributions have received much recognition from Microsoft employees, moderators and the community at large.

Another to work is that users respond when they have found a solution to your requirement. That, although dolorozo but true, I have seen many users just want to be your problem now solved and no more;

Often take the solution and say nothing, or give recognition

In occasions say the answer is the solution but not mark it as a solution, or marked as useful.

Sometimes they say that the answer is the answer, mark it as a solution, but not marked as helpful.

And in a distinct minority, say the answer is the answer, mark it as a solution, and marked as useful.

Hence the importance of the forums have moderators, impartial, to perform the actions that should have made users, under a standard criteria that you yourself should be established.

Well, I am aware of the amount of work they are doing, but hopes they can take a couple of minutes to read this and hope something is helpful.

Jaime

Friday, July 15, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Hi brent,

thanks for the update

but are you guys not going to put the 'medals' back? i like them - even if you could tie them with the new point system, would be great.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:35 AM
  • There are no plans to return the old "medals/levels" as part of the new recognition system. We have other approaches we are planning to take to address understand the grouping of users that we'll introduce in the coming months.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:27 PM