Hard Drive Removal Process is taking waaaaay to long! RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a DIY Windows Homer Server. Got a ton of storage in it. I have been having my share of problems with these darn Seagate 1.5TB drives, including a brand new one. Once it starts to fill up, it starts to "knock" alot. Anyways, that is a bit of backstory, but I wanted to remove this drive from the pool. I added a new WD 2TB Green Drive, then specified that I wanted to remove the "offending" Seagate drive. WHS indicated that no data would be lost, so I went ahead with the removal process. The drive was about 88% full. It has now been running for 16-hours, and it's only down to 56%! I am using the Disk Management Add-In, so can monitor it's progress and disk activity. It initially was getting good transfer rates between the new 2TB and the seagate 1.5TB. However, things have ground to a halt, as it's transferring from the Seagate at 5-50 Kbps. At this rate, it's going to take forever! The Cancel button is greyed out, so I don't know how to suspend the process. I'm wondering whether I should just shut things down, remove the drive, reboot, then go thru the removal process again w/ the drive missing. All folders are duplicated, so the only thing I *should* lose is backups. I'm just not sure whether it's the new WD or old Seagate drive that's causing problems, or something else entirely? I have successfully removed these Seagate 1.5TB drives in the past, and they were usually overnight runs. This is getting ridiculous!

Any suggestions on what I should do?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• I've got a DIY Windows Homer Server. Got a ton of storage in it. I have been having my share of problems with these darn Seagate 1.5TB drives, including a brand new one. Once it starts to fill up, it starts to "knock" alot. Anyways, that is a bit of backstory, but I wanted to remove this drive from the pool. I added a new WD 2TB Green Drive, then specified that I wanted to remove the "offending" Seagate drive. WHS indicated that no data would be lost, so I went ahead with the removal process. The drive was about 88% full. It has now been running for 16-hours, and it's only down to 56%! I am using the Disk Management Add-In, so can monitor it's progress and disk activity. It initially was getting good transfer rates between the new 2TB and the seagate 1.5TB. However, things have ground to a halt, as it's transferring from the Seagate at 5-50 Kbps. At this rate, it's going to take forever! The Cancel button is greyed out, so I don't know how to suspend the process. I'm wondering whether I should just shut things down, remove the drive, reboot, then go thru the removal process again w/ the drive missing. All folders are duplicated, so the only thing I *should* lose is backups. I'm just not sure whether it's the new WD or old Seagate drive that's causing problems, or something else entirely? I have successfully removed these Seagate 1.5TB drives in the past, and they were usually overnight runs. This is getting ridiculous!

If it won't complete due to a failing hard drive (and since all of your shares have Folder Duplication enabled), you should shut down the server, disconnect the drive, then remove the "missing" drive through the Console.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:24 PM

If it won't complete due to a failing hard drive (and since all of your shares have Folder Duplication enabled), you should shut down the server, disconnect the drive, then remove the "missing" drive through the Console.
    I should shut down the server, even though the removal process is still running? But I guess since duplication is turned on, there should be no danger of turning it off now. Any idea why the "Cancel" button is greyed out? Why even offer such an option?!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I should shut down the server, even though the removal process is still running?

Unless you want to let it continue to run.  You only have 2 options.  :)

But I guess since duplication is turned on, there should be no danger of turning it off now. Any idea why the "Cancel" button is greyed out? Why even offer such an option?!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:33 AM
  • I too love those cancel buttons, which never are usable (or with heavy delay) if needed.

You can attach the disk to another system and check if for lost content, as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Be also aware, that if fragments of the backup database have been located on that drive, you may have to start client backups from the scratch.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:17 PM