Help please! Accidentally deleted new version of WHSConnector.msi! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone. The upgrade that came thru on WHS recently mucked up my client --> WHS connections in that WHS requested the users to upgrade their connector software, but then produced a fault.

This is a reported fault already on the forum - see the following link.

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=2184930&siteid=50&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

I tried the following particular solution from the above thread ... the following is a quote from that ...

I had the same problem and I think I've fixed it.

Looking in my Home Server Connector Software folder, I noticed I had two SET*.TMP files that were the same approximate sizes as the SETUP and MSI files but with newer timestamps (6/9 as opposed to 6/7).

I renamed those accordingly, ran SETUP and all now seems to have connected okay.

See if you can do the same.

Being stupid, instead of deleting the original setup.exe and WHSConnector.msi files, and then renaming the newer *.tmp equivalents, I deleted the two .tmp files!

This leaves me with an upgraded server, but an older connector software version! All works fine file server wise, but obviously no client can access the console or use backup for the time being.

Can anyone suggest a solution - perhaps someone could give me a copy of these two updated files!???

Thanks ...

Monday, November 19, 2007 12:20 PM

Answers

• Since you've got an original WHS with the September update applied by Windows Update, not the version with that patch rolled in, you should be able to follow my directions in this thread to remove and reapply that patch.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 12:30 PM

All replies

• Since you've got an original WHS with the September update applied by Windows Update, not the version with that patch rolled in, you should be able to follow my directions in this thread to remove and reapply that patch.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 12:30 PM
  •  

Thanks for your quick and very helpful response  - patch uninstalled well.

Just a couple of things - even the connector software on client machines that I had NOT tried to upgrade needed re-installing but all worked fine after that,  AND on one machine, the server saw an original client (inc all previous backups) and a new client with the same name. I just deleted the old client and ran a new backup.

So all seems fine now - won't install that patch, but will wait for more uprages from Microsoft - any news on the next update release?

Thanks again!

(ps have marked your response as helpful)

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:54 AM
  • You should reinstall the patch. It has some functionality and usability improvements.

There's another patch due out this month. It should be hitting Windows Update in the next day or two; see elsewhere in the forum for what it contains.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:15 PM