Simple Question in regards to Hardware Load Balancer and OCS 2007 R2 Pool RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to stand up an OCS 2007 R2 environment but I don't have a Hardware Load Balancer as of the moment. Would it be damaging to stand up a basic Enterprise Pool with the One Front End OCS server and then later set up a hardware load balancer? According to the documentation I've seen it was "strongly advised to install the hardware load balancer before creating the DNS records".

Would it be that much of a problem to create the pool with no load balancer and then configure the load balancer later on?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:15 PM

Answers

• It's no problem to add the LB later - they are just trying to save you some time by recommending that you do the LB first so that all your DNS records and things point to that and you don't have to change them later.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Yeah, that is what is done 99% of the time anyways; then all you need to do when adding the HLB and second EE node later on is to change the DNS A record for your internal pool to point to a new, virtual IP address that is defined on the HLB.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:30 PM

All replies

• It's no problem to add the LB later - they are just trying to save you some time by recommending that you do the LB first so that all your DNS records and things point to that and you don't have to change them later.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Yeah, that is what is done 99% of the time anyways; then all you need to do when adding the HLB and second EE node later on is to change the DNS A record for your internal pool to point to a new, virtual IP address that is defined on the HLB.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:30 PM