"Connection Error" MS Money Deluxe Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just bought a new computer and am trying to set up Windows 10.  One of my favorite programs from my former computer was MS Money 2002, but I found it's not compatible with Windows 10.  I was very happy to learn about MS Money Sunset Deluxe so I've installed that, but I'm having a problem with it that I haven't found any information about anywhere so I'm hoping someone can help me.  Whenever I open the program I immediately get a popup message stating "A communication error occurred.  Please try your call again.  If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer Support."

If I click OK or close the message, the program immediately closes.  I've found that I can work within the program if I leave the popup open, but I don't want to have to do that all the time and the "Working" window can't be moved so it's in the way of everything.  

Here is relevant information and the steps I've taken so far:

- I am using the My Money file copied from my previous computer to retain all of my previous data.

- I don't want the program to connect to any financial institutions, etc.  I've gone through the program thoroughly to be sure all connection settings are turned off.  

- I've checked my firewall settings for McAfee and Windows Security to be sure that this program is not blocked.

- I've uninstalled the program, deleted the My Money file, restarted the computer, replaced the My Money file, reinstalled the program, restarted the computer and attempted to run the program again, but the same problem continues to happen.  I've done this 3 times.  

- I've gone back to my previous computer and made sure no connections are set up and saved a new My Money file and attempted to use that one during one of the program reinstallations but that did not help either.  

I can't think of anything else to do.  Can someone please offer some advice?  

Thanks for your help.  

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:11 PM

All replies

• A couple of things to try:

- Under Program Settings, try using "Money Home" or "Account List" as the choice for "Start Money with this page open".

- If you haven't done so already, replace mnyob99.dll with the patched dll per the first "sticky" thread in this forum ;

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Just to be sure that we understand your situation, does your MyMoney.mny file open properly (other than the annoying message window) when you double-click on it?

Bill Becker

Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:03 AM
  • Do install that patch.

Don't choose Money Home as the place to start. Account list is a good place to choose.

I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can do that by going to your Money install folder
    and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Thank you.  I did those things.  To answer your question, yes, everything opens properly other than the message window.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:23 AM
  • Thank you.  I did the things that you both suggested.  For reference, I'm usually just tech savvy enough to be dangerous.  I don't get too deep into it, but I believe I did it correctly.  Here's what happens now:

- I click on the MoneyPlus icon to open it.  It opens a sample page and the popup message does not appear.

- I go to File->Open and open the My Money file in my Documents.

- At this point my information appears and so does the popup message and still crashes the program when I close the popup.  

Of course, when I open it I want it to go directly to my file, but I'm assuming that's a simple fix.  I did as you suggested and changed it to open with my Account List.  The Investment Performance module was not selected.  I did as you suggested, but the popup message remained no matter what was in the home page display settings.  It looks like it has something to do with my file, but as I said before I never had any connections set up.  I really use it mostly for the account register and don't connect to anything with it. 

Thanks again for your help.  I'm eager to get this fixed.  I'll be leaving town tomorrow afternoon for a while so if I don't respond to further suggestions right away, I will when I return.  

I've tried to upload some screenshots, but I can't include images until my account is validated.

• Edited by JackL_-.', Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:44 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Money 2000 International English certainly installs and runs perfectly on my Windows 10 Professional ~ so I doubt that Money 2002 is NOT compatible with your operating system.

Do you possess the original Money 2002 installation CD and have you actually tried to install on your new computer ? (or were you deterred by something you read).

You may find that you prefer the way Money 2002 works compared with the way Money Sunset Deluxe works.

Teabag

Thursday, August 29, 2019 6:33 AM
  • In Windows 10 your Money data file must be in the User's Documents area, not the Money default Program Files x86 area.

Money 2002 users may need to use the intermediate step noted in the second, sticky post in this forum to convert their file to Sunset, but Money 2002 is compatible with Windows 10.

Did McAfee come with the new computer or have you installed it yourself?
    If there was any other security suite - other than Windows Defender - pre-installed did you download and run its manufacturer's cleanup utilty before installing McAfee.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Sample.mny works. You have done the patch. When you open your main file called "My Money.mny" you get the pop-up and crash.

I would next to make a repaired version of your "My Money.mny" file. With Money open,

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

That will let you browse to your "My Money.mny" and to select a name for the repaired file. You might browse to your Documents folder, and choose a name such as Jack for your repaired version. Money will add the .mny part. If repair is successful, open Jack.mny.

If the problem persists,
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1

That works mainly with reports, and it resets all of your reports. You lose any customized reports however.

Regarding firewalls, I use the Windows firewall to block Microsoft Money. https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/ describes that.

There are more things to try if this does not do it.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 9:08 AM
  • UPDATE:

The second post in this forum says this:

Some US users of Money 98 ... Money 2003 may have to use an additional step of first installing a verson of US Money 2004 or 2005 to perform a file conversion before installing Money Plus Sunset. Here is a link to a minimally functional version of US Money 2005 (filename webinst.exe) that can be used for conversions: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/B/7/DB72D4E0-FBD1-4B76-BFA0-1FF20F6AEC8D/M12USWEB.exe   The file is named webinst.exe

I think you will need to uninstall Money Sunset, install that Money 2005 intermediate, do the conversion, and then reinstall Money Sunset.

I think you should try that. However the file that you want to convert is not the one that Money Sunset modified. Instead get a fresh copy of "My Money.mny" from the old computer or use "My Money.m10" from the new computer.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Thank you.  To answer questions:

- I cannot find my original MS Money 2002 CD.  

- McAfee came pre-installed.  I really prefer to just use Windows Security, but I haven't taken time to take McAfee off yet.  I plan to remove it at some point. 

- I performed the Level 1 and 2 file repair as instructed, but the problem remains.  

- I blocked MS Money in the McAfee Firewall.  When I opened Money after that I got a message that it wanted to connect, but I denied it.  Then I still got the popup error.  

- I haven't attempted the suggestion yet about using the Money 2005 intermediate.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to do that before I leave.  I'll pick up working on this when I return.  

Thanks for your help and suggestions!  

Thursday, August 29, 2019 9:38 PM
  • Here's a trick that just might work for you ~ it depends on the installation of Money Sunset Delux putting the keys that your Money 2002 program needs in all the right places in the registry.

Step 1. Make a copy of the whole contents of the folder containing your Money installation on your old computer, so C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money   or  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money. The exact location will depend on your old operating system ~ Windows XP for example. 

Step 2. On your new Windows 10 computer find the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money folder and empty it (you could transfer the contents another USB stick).

Step 3. Now copy what you created at Step 1 into the empty Microsoft Money folder in Program Files (x86) on the new computer.

Step 4. Make sure My Money.m10 in a accessible place, so in My Documents ~ create a shortcut with target C:\Users\admin\Documents\My Money.m10 (or whatever the path exactly needs to be) and click on the shortcut ~ it may open your old data file. Bear in mind Money 2002 will certainly NOT open the My Money.mny that was made by Sunset Delux ~ in the jargon, the Money program is not backwards compatible.

Do let us know if this works for you. Of course it won't work if Sunset Delux does not put the necessary registry keys (for 2002) where they need to be.

Teabag

Saturday, August 31, 2019 4:31 PM
  • Thank you again.

I've tried the suggestions you've offered, but I still haven't had any luck.  

- I attempted to install Money 2005 as an intermediate, but I wasn't able to complete that.  It wanted me to put in a password in order to accomplish anything and I've never set up a password for this.  I even attempted to start over, but tried to put in a password first and it kept telling me that my MS password was incorrect.  I attempted carefully several times and I could never get past the password.  I went ahead and tried installing Money Sunset without getting past the password.  It detected that I had a previous version installed and asked if I wanted to remove it first.  I said Yes and allowed the installation to continue, but when it was completed the problem still remained.  

- I also attempted the suggestion to move the contents of my old program from my old computer file to my new one and that did not work either.  It did the same thing it's been doing...allows me to open the program with my files available, but has the popup in the middle of the screen about the connection error.  

- I also went over my McAfee firewall settings again to be sure the program is blocked and it is.  

This is so frustrating.  I'm starting to get behind on my banking.  Thanks for all of your help.  I certainly hope we can figure this out.  Please keep suggestions coming.  I'll try anything. 

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:34 PM
  • If you haven't done it yet, I would uninstall McAfee and see if that eliminates the pop-up.

One thing to note, - I believe that Money Sunset won't open a Money 2002 file without an intermediate conversion.  Since your file does open with Sunset, it seems likely that your Money.mny file from your old computer was actually created with a more recent version than Money 2002.  That might explain the "wrong password" error that you get when you try to open the file with Money 2005.  (Money 2005 won't open a version newer than 2005).  If you can, open your file on the old computer and check the version of Money using Help>About Microsoft Money.  You can see the Money version numbers vs dates here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money .

Bill Becker

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:27 PM
  • Thank you again.

I've tried the suggestions you've offered, but I still haven't had any luck.  

- I attempted to install Money 2005 as an intermediate, but I wasn't able to complete that.  It wanted me to put in a password in order to accomplish anything and I've never set up a password for this.  I even attempted to start over, but tried to put in a password first and it kept telling me that my MS password was incorrect.  I attempted carefully several times and I could never get past the password.  I went ahead and tried installing Money Sunset without getting past the password.  It detected that I had a previous version installed and asked if I wanted to remove it first.  I said Yes and allowed the installation to continue, but when it was completed the problem still remained.  

We have been presuming that your Money 2002 version was from North America. If not, say so.
    Friday, September 6, 2019 8:35 PM
  • Hello,

I was formerly using Microsoft Money 2002 Standard OEM Edition, Version 10.0.  It is from North America.  

I uninstalled McAfee and attempted to use Money Sunset, but the problem remains.  It seems like the only problem is this popup that's blocking part of the screen.  Money Sunset looks different, but appears to have all the functions I've used in the past (from what I can see and do with the popup present) so I'm ok with it.  All of my information is present in the program.  One of the suggestions mentioned a Money file with .m10 for the file type.  Mine has .mny as the file type.  Would this cause the problem?  How could I fix that?  

I've attempted to upload an image of the error in case it's helpful, but it says I can't upload images until my account is verified or something.  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get that done. 

Thanks again for your help.  

Friday, September 6, 2019 11:18 PM
  • The .mny file is the correct one.  If you open your .mny file with a newer version of Money (e.g. use Sunset to open a Money 2002 file), Sunset will create a new .mny file with the latest format.  It will also create a .mxy file which is the original .mny file before conversion.  The xy will be the previous version number.  This ensures that there is a backup of your original .mny file if something goes wrong with the conversion.  If your file was, indeed, created with Money 2002 then the Backup file that Sunset creates will be .m10 because Money 2002 is version 10.

The reason I asked you to check the version using your old computer is that sometimes people have updated Money to a newer version and have forgotten about it.  If you did that, then you should have a .m11, .m12, etc. file.  I don't think that is the cause of your problem, but it may be useful in figuring things out.

Also, just to double check, can you verify that you installed US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset from a download link that is in the second "sticky" thread in this forum?  And that you also did the mnyob99.dll replacement that is described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum?

Cal, - Can you help with getting permission to post images?

Bill Becker

Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Thank you.

Yes, I had downloaded it from the site specified in the second sticky thread.  To be sure, I uninstalled what I had and reinstalled it from the downloadable static link.  I then did the mnyob99.dll replacement from the first sticky thread again.  I tested the program again and the problem remains.  

I appreciate your help with this.  

Saturday, September 7, 2019 4:35 AM
  • Did you check on the version of Money that created your old .mny file?

Bill Becker

Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:05 PM
  • The original Money file was created by MS Money 2002, Version 10.  

At this time in my Documents file I have 5 Money files:

3 are .mbf (it's set to keep 3 backup files currently as default I guess)

The main Money file is .mny  It doesn't appear to have changed the file type even after all of this.  I've done a few things that I could in Money Sunset with this file, but the file type hasn't changed.

Lastly, there is a Money file I've not seen before.  It's My Money.lrd

The files still located on my old computer are named the same way. (with the exception of the .lrd file)

• Edited by JackL_-.', Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:42 PM
    Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:37 PM
  • Delete the .lrd file. That is a file that tells Money that the data file is still open and not to try to open it again. It will cause Money to exit and not open with that file.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:49 PM
  • Ok, I deleted the .lrd file and opened the program.  The same problem still happened.  After it closed I check my Documents folder and the .lrd file was there again.  
    Saturday, September 7, 2019 3:37 PM
  • Since you are sure that your old .mny file was created with Money 2002, I suggest that you try installing Money 2004 frm this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070216014147/http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/b/7/db72d4e0-fbd1-4b76-bfa0-1ff20f6aec8d/m12usweb.exe

Then use Money 2004 to open your old .mny file.  It should convert it to the Money 2004 format.  This will give you a converted .mny file and also a .m10 file.  Then, try opening the converted .mny file with Money Sunset.

Bill Becker

Saturday, September 7, 2019 4:14 PM
  • Since you are sure that your old .mny file was created with Money 2002, I suggest that you try installing Money 2004 frm this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070216014147/http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/b/7/db72d4e0-fbd1-4b76-bfa0-1ff20f6aec8d/m12usweb.exe

Then use Money 2004 to open your old .mny file.  It should convert it to the Money 2004 format.  This will give you a converted .mny file and also a .m10 file.  Then, try opening the converted .mny file with Money Sunset.

Bill Becker

0. Looking back, I don't see you clearly saying that you successfully opened Sample.mny without problem. This can be from a copy of Sample.mny  copied into your Documents folder. To open Money for a particular file, you can close Money. Then right-click the file you want to open and choose Open.

1. If you like verifying files like m12usweb.exe to be sure they are intact, I ran fciv on a copy I have of that file.

C:\etc\disks>fciv m12usweb.exe   -both
    //
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
                    MD5                             SHA-1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1c62413858e2184eb39862f1b2afba44 135af19b7132777661c2714599e9793839bedd77 m12usweb.exe

2. Another thing to try is to open Money by right-clicking the Money launch icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator. That one is easiest.

3. Another thing to try is to copy your file into the Documents file of another user, and launch Money by right-clicking that file and choosing Open. After you get in, you would need to adjust the places for the backup files to go, using Browse.

This is the one I have the greatest hope for. If there is a permissions problem, you can  RunAsAdministrator there, or you can copy the file to a different user's document folder via a USB flash drive formatted in FAT32 format. (that removes permission info). That different user can be the Guest account, or a new account that you create for the purpose.

Saturday, September 7, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Thank you.

I tried installing Money 2004, but I ran into the password problem again.  I tried going through "Forgot my Password" to create a MS Passport password, but I wasn't able to do it and I couldn't go any further.  I then installed the second link in the article mentioned above which was for Money Home and Business Deluxe and I reinstalled the patch.  The problem still remains.  

To answer your other questions:

0. Yes, I was able to open Sample.mny with no trouble.  When I then attempted to open my own Money file the problem occurred.  

I attempted Suggestion 2, but it didn't help.  Suggestions 1 and 3 are above my skill level and I'm nervous to try them without some pretty close guidance.  

I did remember something that I don't know if it would be relevant or not.  When I restart my computer I always get a popup message stating that Money Insights is already running.  I just click OK and it goes away.  I assume this is because Windows 10 restarts any programs that were already running when you do a restart of the machine.  

Please let me know when I have permission to post images and I'll share screenshots.  

This is a crazy amount of work to go through for setting up a program.  Thanks for all of your help.  

Sunday, September 8, 2019 7:36 PM
  • Yes, you have done a lot of work.  I admire your tenacity!

The message about Money Insights may be an important clue.  I suggest that you change the Money Insights settings so that it does not start when Windows starts.  You can do that by going to the taskbar and finding a round M icon like this:

and then click on it to get the Settings:

and see if the "Display the Insights Icon....." is selected.  If so, deselect it and reboot.

Bill Becker

Sunday, September 8, 2019 10:05 PM
  • Thank you.  

I just did as you suggested. When I rebooted I did not get the Insights message, but the problem still remained when I opened Money.

Sunday, September 8, 2019 10:35 PM
  • This was interesting.  I attempted to view some reports and view my cash flow, but it was very clunky.  It wouldn't load the page at first, then I tried to open some options and the report appeared.  When I was trying to select a report the sample reports kept saying "Loading".  I couldn't view my cash flow at all.  Do you think this is all related?  

I've been tearing through my house trying to find my Money 2002 disc.  

Monday, September 9, 2019 9:32 PM
  • Yes, maybe it is related, - i.e. there is a problem with your Money.mny file.  As a diagnostic, one thing to try is to open your Money file and then create a new file, - name it something unique like TestMoney.mny and put it in your Documents folder.  You can leave it empty for now. 

You may have to start Money and let it run for a minute or two until it quits trying to connect to those non-existent servers in order to create the new file. 

Then, close Money and double-click on TestMoney.mny and see if you still have the popup.  If not, then you have the option of doing a qif export of transactions from your current Money file and import them into the new Money file.  We can  point you to instructions on how to do that.

Bill Becker

Monday, September 9, 2019 9:50 PM
  • Thank you again!

I'm not sure what happened, but when I opened it this time I got a couple of different errors stating that I couldn't perform that action (whatever it was at the moment) because there was an active connection.  After I dismissed that a couple of times it didn't come back and everything started working normally!  Right now I'm having reserved optimism, but I sure hope whatever happened that it's fixed!  I'll keep you posted.  

Thanks again so much for all of your help and patience!  

I tried the Cash Flow again.  It takes a while to load, but then just comes up as a big black square.  It would be nice if it worked, but I can live without it just to have the program again.  All of the transactions are listed under the black square.  

• Edited by JackL_-.', Monday, September 9, 2019 11:40 PM
    Monday, September 9, 2019 11:27 PM
  • Thank you again!

I'm not sure what happened, but when I opened it this time I got a couple of different errors stating that I couldn't perform that action (whatever it was at the moment) because there was an active connection.  After I dismissed that a couple of times it didn't come back and everything started working normally!  Right now I'm having reserved optimism, but I sure hope whatever happened that it's fixed!  I'll keep you posted.  

Thanks again so much for all of your help and patience!  

I tried the Cash Flow again.  It takes a while to load, but then just comes up as a big black square.  It would be nice if it worked, but I can live without it just to have the program again.  All of the transactions are listed under the black square.  

One feature that Money Sunset has that you did not have before is the File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData feature. I understand that Bills have been important to you, but you could try deleting the bills on a copy of your file. See if things speed up considerably. Then add new bills if you like. There are various ways to add the bills  back. I don't use Bills myself, but others have reported much higher performance by clearing the old bills out.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:43 AM
  • You could consider buying this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Money-2002-Deluxe/303274939263?epid=127813070&hash=item469c98537f:g:kQoAAOSw1Z9dOYmj

if you still have data files or backups made on your old computer.

Teabag

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Thank you.  Good ideas! 

Today Cash Flow started working spontaneously.  I'm still cautiously optimistic so I'm going to keep referring here for ideas.  I hope I'm finally on the right track though.  

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:20 PM
  • The sound was working fine and then it suddenly stopped.  I checked and it's still turned on and I'm getting other sounds from the computer so it should be working.  I can live without it though if the program keeps working.  I don't want to try to re-install and start over.  
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:32 PM
  • The sound was working fine and then it suddenly stopped.  I checked and it's still turned on and I'm getting other sounds from the computer so it should be working.  I can live without it though if the program keeps working.  I don't want to try to re-install and start over.  

Maybe Un-tick the PlaySounds box in Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings, and then ticking it again?

How about clicking the ChangeSounds button, and choosing a different Playback choice? On the Sounds tab, there is a Test button where you can generate the various sounds.

Friday, September 13, 2019 12:04 AM
  • There is a little more detail on sounds here:

http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/404.aspx

The screen shot is for, I think, Windows 7, but Windows 10 is similar.  There is also this thread; 

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4eff9276-0dce-4e1b-b2e5-99b8733efa64/mnycorefiles?forum=money

which, in the last post, points out that changing the desktop theme might mess with the sounds:

You are certainly having more than your share of issues with getting Money to behave for you.  It might be worthwhile to run the system file checker to see if there is some issue with your installation.  See:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Bill Becker

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:41 AM
  • Wow.  When you mentioned themes I remembered that my screensaver wasn't acting right for the past few days and I was messing with it last night.  I'm sure that's what caused it.  In fact, I remembered that something similar happened when I set up my old computer a few years ago. How can you get the sounds back?  I read the articles, but I don't want to go through the whole long list and try to find all of the sounds and select all of them again.  Is there an easier way?  

I'll look into the system file checker too.

Thanks again!

Friday, September 13, 2019 2:07 AM
  • I just went ahead and selected the sounds.  I doubt I got them all right.  I also sent Feedback to MS that you shouldn't be deleting program sounds by changing themes....or at least have a warning about it.  
    Friday, September 13, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Yes, I'm sure that MS will add that to their list: "Things that don't quite work as expected".  It'll be item 2,157 or so...

Probably the quickest way to get back to the default sounds is to reinstall Money.  You'll also have to redo the mnyob99.dll replacement.  Given all the gief you have had, I'm guessing that you won't go that route just yet.  

Bill Becker

Friday, September 13, 2019 3:13 AM
  • I know what you mean.  I doubt it will be a major priority even though I got a big picture of lots of MS people holding a big Thank You sign when I submitted it.  

I probably won't reinstall at this point.  I set the sounds up manually.  I did run the system file checker you suggested.  It ran very quickly and at the end stated that it found and repaired corrupt files.  That didn't make me feel all that great since it's a brand new computer.  I'm not sure the files had anything to do with MS Money, but hopefully it will help that or something else.  

Friday, September 13, 2019 9:53 PM