Excel Import while maintaining GUIDs? RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating some data from CRM 2016 online to CRM 365 online and this is the approach we first tried:

1) In CRM 2016, select the entity to Export from
    2) Create a view on this entity containing All Columns
    3) Export the file to Excel using the "Export To Excel" button
    4) In CRM 365, select the same entity to Import to
    5) Click the Import Data button and select the previously exported file

When these steps are performed, the integration is marked as successful, but there is no data imported. All columns (Successes, Partial Failures, Errors, Total Processed) show a value of 0.

If we remove all the data from the "(Do Not Modify) Row Checksum" column in the Excel file and try to import then we receive the following error - "The record could not be updated because the original record no longer exists in Microsoft Dynamics 365"

If we remove all the data from the "(Do Not Modify) Row Checksum" & "(Do Not Modify) Campaign Activity" columns, then all the data is imported.

The only problem with this last approach is the imported data contains new record GUIDs and we're trying to maintain the same GUIDs across both systems. Is there an Excel Data Import approach that works with CRM 365 and allows us to maintain the record GUIDs from our source system during the import? I thought this was possible in earlier version of CRM.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 5:53 AM

Answers

• so far i havent managed to achieve excel import to maintain GUIDs. you can always use the tool i have mentioned if the number of rows are lesser.

If my response answered your question, please "mark the response as an answer" and also "vote as helpful". Regards, Hari. www.crm2011byhari.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Cipher Monday, April 24, 2017 2:57 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 3:34 AM

All replies

• Excel import will try to find the records if there is a GUID present in the row. so it will fail to import.

How big is the data being imported? if the data is some master data and the count is less then u can utilize Configuration migration Utility in SDK which will maintain the GUID across environments.

Refer below for more details,

TechNet, Technet-1

I have utilized it for many project with success.

If my response answered your question, please "mark the response as an answer" and also "vote as helpful". Regards, Hari. www.crm2011byhari.blogspot.com

Monday, April 24, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Hi Hari,

We're migrating data in Entities containing 100-100,000 records.  I've built some SSIS packages that allow me to control the GUIDs being used, but I thought the Excel import also allowed this (I'm sure I read post about this with earlier version of CRM).

Monday, April 24, 2017 3:31 AM
  • so far i havent managed to achieve excel import to maintain GUIDs. you can always use the tool i have mentioned if the number of rows are lesser.

• Marked as answer by Cipher Monday, April 24, 2017 2:57 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 3:34 AM
  • Thank you.  It must have been some poorly worded or incorrect blog posts I was reading.

The Config tool is great for smaller datasets and when trying to figure out related data to export/import.   I'm fully invested in my SSIS packages so I'll have to continue using those for the upcoming project.

Monday, April 24, 2017 3:41 AM
  • When we migrated from CRM 2013 On Prem to Dynamics 365, we modified the three hidden columns (A-C) to something like Old_Row Checksum ID, Old_Lead ID, Old_Modified On and that maintained the GUID from the old system. This really helped when I needed to reference a field with duplicate lookup failure because I added the Old_Lead ID to the grid temporarily so I can make one to one comparisons.

If this matches your intended goal, please let me know. If not, feel free to clarify.

Eric Hula - CRM Administrator

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:00 PM
  • I have never had problems importing data with ID's from CRM to another instance, there are 3 hidden columns when you export to excel, 2 of those you delete ((Do Not Modify) Row Checksum and (Do Not Modify) Modified On) the 3rd one ((Do Not Modify) Entity name)(ID of the record) you leave as is.

Are any of the columns you are exporting of the type "Lookup"? because they will fail if the record it is connected to does not exist.

F.e. if you are importing contacts that have  parent account and you have no accounts in the system yet, every record where the lookup record does not exist will fail.

Do another test, export only like 4-5 records with a very limited number of fields, Like 4 accounts only using the "Name" and "Account Number" fields, try importing them by delete-ing 2 of the columns I mentioned.

Halldór Jóhannsson

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:54 PM