none
Complaint about search within MSDN

General discussion

• My complaint involves the really SUCKY search facility on MSDN.  Come on, guys, really?

I was trying to locate this page, about MCSD Certification:

www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsd-certification.aspx

and to start with I was on MSDN, entering search terms like “MCSD” and “certification”.  And there were semi-relevant results, but nothing to the point of the page above.  A lot of “social.msdn.microsoft.com” pages for Forums etc.  I didn’t go past the first page, as it seemed things were getting less and less relevant.

So where did I find the page I was looking for?  I had to go to Bing.  I put “MCSD” as the search term and got my desired result as the second item in the results.

Either the Certification web team needs to see that its pages are better indexed on MSDN, or the MSDN web team needs to freaking FIX their search functionality.  I suspect the latter, as I usually find that searches within MSDN leave a lot to be desired.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:32 PM

All replies

• Best shared at connect.microsoft.com.

bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:02 PM
  • That's great!  I will do so.  But this points up another complaint I have, and that is locating a place to submit complaints!  :-)
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:07 PM
  • And when I actually navigate to connect.miscrosoft.com, it turns out that it pertains to Microsoft products, and not Microsoft web sites, and thus there is no way to submit the complaint there, either.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Mailing address:                
    One Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052-6399

:) - old school

.bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:57 AM
  • Hi all,

Since this particular discussion is not directly involved with training and certification, I am going to move the discussion to a forum that is monitored by the MSDN team. Hopefully they can provide better assistance.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCSD (Web Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Yep, the forums search feature isn't all that useful. It doesn't allow you to use AND within a search.

There's a thread going on in the Suggestions forum asking for this tool to be fixed, you may want to add your voice (and vote) there:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9cf8ad4b-5111-4f84-9809-99cd8f1b7152/make-the-forum-search-tool-useful?forum=suggest

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:47 PM
  • That's great! 

I only posted this because I couldn't find a way to report this annoyance that has been bothering me for years.  Always thought it was ironic that (before Bing) I could better find what I wanted through a Google search than through an MSDN search.  This does not please me, for it seems very backwards.

OK, now that I have registered my piteous complaint, I shall retire from the discussion.  :-)

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:52 PM
  • My post does not concern searching on the Forum.  It concerns search on MSDN itself.  The main problem I was having was finding that a search for actual documentation on MSDN was heavily interlarded with results from Forum.  Whereas a search on Bing finds lots of results on MSDN that a search on MSDN itself doesn't.
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:37 PM