Vista Home premium OEM, replacing motherboard RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've had a read through the FAQ and google etc but I'm still looking for a definate answer

My desktop machine came from the shop with Vista home premium OEM,  I have the disc and serial number sticker etc

recently the machine began behaving very oddly,   misreporting the CPU speed and other odd behaviour,  I've taken it in to the supplier (local computer shop) and they state that the culprit is most likely the motherboard,   they do not have stock of the original motherboard and have offered a higher spec motherboard as a replacement if I pay the cost difference.  I dont mind this idea but I'm very concerned that if they proceed and do this that the copy of Windows Vista will chuck its toys out of the cot when it realises that the motherboard is different,  or I format and re-install so that its a nice fresh install.

Can someone please verify that i will be able to re-active/validate my Vista home premium OEM if i allow them to change the motherboard,  or will i have to purchase another copy of Vista.

Thanks for reading.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:01 PM

Answers

• If you have the generic OEM Windows Vista version, you can use phone activation to reactivate Windows Vista.

You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  Hi Jon-nz,

The license agreement for OEM Windows is that OEM software is tied to the computer it was originally installed on, meaning it can only be install on that computer and no other.

Microsoft terms the Motherboard as the computer, meaning you can change out any other hardware and it would still be the same computer. But if you change out the motherboard...it's a new computer. And because of this a user would not be allowed to use the same copy of OEM Windows as was being used with the old Motherboard.

There is one exception to this rule: If the company (that originally built the computer) changes out the motherboard as part of Warranty Support, then the user can still use the same OEM Windows as was being used with the old Motherboard.

It sounds to me like your situation fits into the exception. Therefore, once they change out the motherboard and everything is ready to go, you just need to re-activate Vista using the steps in the above post.

I hope I answered your question,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Ok just went through the process over the phone with a Microsoft rep,  all activated and running now.

My thanks for a very pleasant service experience.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:30 PM

All replies

• If you have the generic OEM Windows Vista version, you can use phone activation to reactivate Windows Vista.

You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  Hi Jon-nz,

The license agreement for OEM Windows is that OEM software is tied to the computer it was originally installed on, meaning it can only be install on that computer and no other.

Microsoft terms the Motherboard as the computer, meaning you can change out any other hardware and it would still be the same computer. But if you change out the motherboard...it's a new computer. And because of this a user would not be allowed to use the same copy of OEM Windows as was being used with the old Motherboard.

There is one exception to this rule: If the company (that originally built the computer) changes out the motherboard as part of Warranty Support, then the user can still use the same OEM Windows as was being used with the old Motherboard.

It sounds to me like your situation fits into the exception. Therefore, once they change out the motherboard and everything is ready to go, you just need to re-activate Vista using the steps in the above post.

I hope I answered your question,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Firstly,  thank you Carey and Darin for your responses

I've just picked up the machine from the shop and it seems to be working ok,  I'll do the phone activation when it prompts.  Cheers for the help its very much appreciated.

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Ok just went through the process over the phone with a Microsoft rep,  all activated and running now.

My thanks for a very pleasant service experience.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Darin (Smith) or anyone else who knows,
    If I build my own machine, then the motherboard dies (which happens much more often than I like) and I replace it with a new motherboard, will I be able to activate Windows Vista OEM using the phone activation as detailed above? I typically do not replace a motherboard with the same brand and type as the one that went bad. I no longer buy the cheap motherboards and have had fewer go bad, but it is still an unfortunate reality in my world.

Thanks for your reply,
    Mark
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Unfortunatly, I do not know the answer to that question and I'm not trained in Licensing so am unqualified to make a judgment call.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:15 AM